1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick: Melo and Lebron interested in joining forces

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 10, 2014.

1. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i really hope the big 3 opt out and re-up for $14 mill and then they add melo.

they would be the four horsemen of the nba. i'll even take the veteran's minimum and run point.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Jones had also been a horrible defender all year, so a low-IQ play there is to be expected.

Also a low-IQ move: leaving him in the game. Even a stone-cold Cisco garcia would have been better.

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

cyber why do you always have to bear such terrible news for Rockets fans? I'm glad your sources were wrong about Dwight staying in LA and I hope they are wrong here. Those players all in LA would be terrible for the Rockets.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

They'd really be representative of what the NBA has become. Not only showing how much more of a player's league is, but also the death of the modern big man. They'd be playing a very finesse game. It be fun to watch if it wouldn't completely suck the fun out of the league.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I personally don't see Lebron going to LA.

The key to cyberx's point is that Lebron doesn't like having to shoulder the load and Wade taking all that time off.

Well, Lebron can stay in Miami, KEEP Bosh, toss Wade into a garbage pail and sign Carmelo. Very simple. I don't think they will do that, but I don't see a NEED for Lebron to come to LA and play with a hobbled Kobe. Who knows if Kobe will be like Wade and have to take games off?

Which ownership do you think Lebron will trust? Miami? or a Jim Buss lead Lakers?

6. cyberx

cyberx Member

I told you guys before any news outlet that Dwight was opening up to come here and gave good details about it. That was good news!

Come on now :grin::grin:

7. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

This. Guarding the inbounds passer is just poor coaching right there.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

ding ding ding. Whatever his detractors want to say about Lebron, he is *not* stupid.

9. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

:rolleyes: More nonsense.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Oh yea I forgot that one, I'm jealous of your contacts man, seems like a great gig that you have. I'd love to work my way into becoming an agent at some point.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Lebron comes to Houston, HE could be the one taking time off in-season. As long as he is ready come the playoffs.

12. Fundamental

Fundamental Rookie

why? so he can carry harden and howard too?

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Cyberx is a laker fan which is one reason I don't buy his stuff for insider. Never trust a known laker fan. And why in the world would a laker fan post any real "insider news" on a rival's board?

And 17.5? Not sure how 17.5 for Bosh, Wade, Lebron and Melo will work with a stretched Nash, Kobe's fat check (still laughing on that one), and your cap hold for all the other required roster spots. No way that fits under the cap.

And if you misread the poster's comment and your number is only talking about Melo and Lebron coming to LA...taking a pay cut to play with a busted, fat stacks Kobe and a decimated team then I would laugh at you, Lebron and Melo for thinking that would be anything but a resume disaster.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Over the years you'll hear lots of people talking about how they are only in it to win the championship. It's rarely true. By leaving Cleveland, Lebron proved to me that he is one of the few superstars ever to actually mean it. He was so serious about it, that the extremely bitter Dan Gilbert didn't call his bluff and participated in a sign and trade. Lebron was going to leave money on the table as long as it meant he gets what he wants.

What did he get? The biggest market? No. Miami's a really good market, but not the biggest. Did he gain a great reputation? No, fans of all teams really turned on him. More shots? No, I don't think that was even possible. He left for a better team, and one that was a great bet to win many rings. That's how he planned it. That's what he did. All he seems to care about is how many rings are on his fingers when he retires. Since there are people with more rings than he has, that quest is not over.

I find it hard to believe that Lebron will want to go to a less talented team, with a less experienced coach and a less experienced GM. I highly doubt he teams up with Melo just because of friendship. I think he realizes Wade is in serious decline, and that this is Bosh's ceiling. He has a great thing going with Riley and Spoelstra - there's no need to give that up, and it's something that every superstar craves. An organization that has proven that they will do anything to and can win the championship. In that sense, Miami is a bigger draw than the poorly managed Lakers or the high inexperienced Knicks management. He also know that he needs two other stars - because if declining Wade and above average Bosh are not good enough, then it's clear that he's looking for more than just one sidekick. He knows he needs two other stars to form a team that can dominate.

I think he stays. I think there are going to be big problems with extensions because Wade shouldn't get anything near what he's getting, and Bosh should probably take a small paycut too. Lebron should keep making his money. I'm certain Miami would rather let Wade and Bosh walk than let Lebron think about going somewhere else. Riley knows what it takes to win. I think the best case scenario here is Melo joins Lebron in Miami - and that's highly unlikely. Neither Wade or Bosh will opt out, and I doubt anyone wants their salaries. Plus I would be amazed if these guys didn't have no-trade clauses in their contracts. That means Miami doesn't have the means to get anyone, so if anything they will wait till 2015, and Melo has to weigh up whether it's worth waiting a year to join Lebron in Miami and always being seen as the guy who could only get his ring when he teamed up with Lebron - OR he can go to the Bulls or Rockets now and legitimately knock James off his throne and be seen as the guy who dethroned Lebron in a way that's no less credible than how Lebron got his rings and possibly keep doing that for a few years with the possibility that Lebron can never match the talent of a Howard/Melo/Harden trio.

Interesting stuff.

1 person likes this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Cyberx,

Do Howard and Harden have any friends in this free agent class who want to play with them?

16. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

If Lebron wants to win, his desition must be the Rockets.

Bev
    Harden
    Parsons
    Lebron
    Howard

Champs the next 5 years

17. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Phil, Fish, Lebron, Melo, Linsanity...hmm, sounds like a plan.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This year he publicly mentioned the same thing, though he was sort of nice about it.

LeBron wants another workhouse on his team.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't see LeBron leaving Riley. Definitely not to go to LA and help Kobe win more.

I wouldn't be surprised to see all 3 opt out and take less if they win. The hardest sell would be Wade, but he knows Miami takes care of family down the line.

20. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

If the Heat win, Bosh has been their 2nd best player. His game won't deteriorate that much over 5 years.