1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick: Klay is the best 2 way guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmactoyao, Jan 24, 2015.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is pretty dumb. If "2 way" doesnt mean better player, then basically he is arguing that Thompson is better on defense. Who ****ing cares. PJ Tucker is a better 2 way player by that metric.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Anyhow....this team has become Harden and a bunch of role players. Pretty disappointing that the team doesn't have a reliable 2nd option. Maybe DMo will turn into that with Dwight out.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I never understood the "two-way" argument, it seems like when people say that they are just completely discounting offensive abilities and putting more weight on defense. Thompson can check the best perimeter threat on the other team because he does not have nearly the responsibility on the offensive side of the ball as Harden does, a lot of his shots are catch and shoot, or created for him.

4. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

He is the best because he is a spot up shooter? Okay. Give Klay a team where he is the MAIN focus of offense.. Then come with me with who a "best two guard".

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

As I said...

The "2-way" notion is only brought up with shooting guards because it's fun for the media to discredit Harden.

You never hear about "2-way PG's" or "2-way PF's", etc. It's only shooting guards. I find it funny.

2 people like this.
  6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

The comparison between Harden and Thompson is at the very least unfair to Harden. With the Warriors, Klay pretty just have to catch and shoot.

Harden has to be the pg, sg, and sometimes play the forward spot (I.e. guess who has the highest number of rebounds yesterday).

Both Klay and Curry get the benefit of playing off each other.

Harden, otoh, has to carry the whole team by himself. He is not only the #1 sg in the, but also the MVP in the entire NBA.

7. Panda23

Panda23 Member

how did we turn to relying on Dmo lol. wouldnt have expected that at the start of the year

8. THE_TRUTH_HURTS

2 way player is pretty meaningless. It'd be like saying Miguel Cabrera isn't as good a player because his defense isn't great.

Klay has good offense, good defense. Harden has beast offense, ok defense. Klay better 2 way... Harden better overall.

9. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

Lol.... that 2 way guard helps CURRY all the time.

Which is why Harden is the mvp.

Does way more for his team than they do individually for theirs

U switch spots.

Harden would be killing it even more with a player like curry or klay by him

But could they do what harden is doing without each other? When the other team knows who to guard every time down the court.

I really don't think so. Harden is MVP

Lol, but I'm a rockets fan, so maybe I'm a bit biased

10. nemac

nemac Member

/thread

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Did you know, according to RPM, Klay is the worst defender in their starting lineup? lol

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Klay Thompson and LeBron James are the two best all-around players we have in the NBA today!</p>&mdash; Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) <a href="https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/559121583013629954">January 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

LOL Oh God. We have reached true absurdity...

14. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

About as true as Kobe leading the MVP race because he plays exciting basketball.

15. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Well yea Dray, Bogut and Barnes are studs while Curry atleast plays the passing lanes at an elite level. Klay benefits a lot by playing with these guys but he is about average on man to man.

Still a fun player to watch.

16. THE_TRUTH_HURTS

Harden is def the better player of the two. BUT I don't think you can make the argument that if you switched places with him and Klay that GSW would be better off. I think if you did, Hardens assists go up, points go down and opposite for Curry. The offense would be great but the thing is that its already great.

The problem is the defense would suffer more than the offense would benefit. Curry+Klay > Curry+Harden the same way Harden + Bev > Klay + Bev. The current combinations are best. Klay covers for Curry from the 2 and Bev covers for Harden from the 1

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Klay doesn't create?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Harden rests too much on D - doesn't mean Klay is better, but it does mean Klay plays both ends.

DD

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it's because it's his friends son

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Well this means only one thing: Steph Curry and Klay Thompson both singly handedly serviced the entire ESPN staff. Good to know.