1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick: JaVale McGee freed from Philly, Houston among potential destinations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Only 3 playoff teams in the west may actually want to get him.

Clippers, Rockets, Mavs.

I would love to see him going to the Mavs.

This has the Rondo deal written all over it.

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

BBIQ is overrated,

defense is all about efforts.

However, his health situation is the major concern.

I am not against to waive Dorsey to sign him for the minimum.

However, you need to consider whether he want to come here just be a replacement cup holder for 10-15 games or rather go to a team like Mavs that can have a chance to play as the real backup when his competitor is Bernard James.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Here's a neat trick. Take per 36 minute averages then and divide them by 36. Did I just blow your mind?

Use any number you want, per 36, per 48, per minute, per possession, rebound rate....

...Dorsey is a very good to elite rebounder by these metrics. McGee ranges from average to mediocre for a big man. He's a downgrade from Dorsey in this area.

4. sabesque

sabesque Member

Agree, defense is about effort, but it's also a lot about instincts (knowing when to help, timing a rebound, not losing your assignment). Not McGee's strong suits.

TBH, although you think he should because hes 7ft 270, but McGee doesn't solve our needs other than making us physically bigger.

5. basketballholic

McGee would help our cap provided somebody picked up Dorsey on the waiver wire. We should all be for that kind of trade. Because Dorsey/McGee essentially will only be in there for 6 fouls in a playoff series.

However if we have to eat Dorsey's money for next year.....it's not worth it.

I am watching this to see if we actually go after him and if we actually waive Dorsey and the Sixers pick him up. If that happens it would seem to me that perhaps Morey curried some extra favors from Hinkie to get Hinkie to eat McGee's whole deal and then eat Dorsey's salary for next season too. Morey did throw an inordinate amount of draft pick value to Hinkie for taking on Shved's contract. Looks to me like Morey has overpaid Hinkie in some past deals.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Not disagreeing, but at the end of the day there's no metric that can account his massive size and wingspan. Something that him enabled him to, once upon a time, post a block % that would currently be tops in the league.

7. rocketsmetalspd

That he is physically bigger will be of great need in the playoffs plus a change of environment where he will see what this team can provide for him and will benefit him will be ideal.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

wink wink deals! :p

9. bushies

bushies Member

10. bushies

bushies Member

Sorry about the formating.

11. basketballholic

it's not about having the $$$ to pay the extra million to Dorsey. It's about not dragging an extra million on our 2015-16 cap. It's about future flexibility.

12. sabesque

sabesque Member

I agree that the bolded could probably be true. But do we want to focus our time on integrating him into a new system when the payoff is only a slight improvement?

Would he really be getting playoff minutes in a Dwight / DMO / Smith / Jones front court rotation?

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Without Howard we need rebounding and size should we be getting dominated in that area in the playoff, so what we need is a band-aid for the playoffs. Spot minutes. Say against Clippers and Memphis or Thunder. all teams that can dominate the boards if we are team rebounding. Additionally, I think Donatas may also be bothered by defensive size at Center so a good Center like Howard will make him taller at Power Forward and gives him some clean looks where his size can be an advantage. So that's also the benefit of a big. Knowing that, ak ourselves does Javale resolve any of that. I don't think so. Dorsey is limited physically and mentally. but has been fitting in better. I'd stick with Dorsey for now. But if a Defensive Center who grab a rebound does become available ( preferably a pick and roll Center ) then I think you make the move.

Nick Johnson seems expendable. He seems to only do one thing well which is drive the lane and hang in the air, and then miss the shot. Dorsey is also expendable as he is easily replaced. But so is Javale who is little more. All this move would be is a commitment to length. But not so sure he gives us anything better than what we already have.

14. Airdough

Airdough Member

Thank you for not reading what I said about per 36 and instead being a smart ass. Per 36 doesn't mean a ton when you are talking about a limited minutes player who might get in on close and late situations requiring an extra rebounder and rim protection. I don't care if Javale has a worse per 36. A 7 footer that can protect the rim is more likely to be useful than Dorsey for the same limited minutes. It isn;t about whether he got the rebound himself or the block. It's about erasing the other team's big from getting the board and freeing up a Jones or Smith to collect it. The same can be said for blocks, as altering a shot can be just as beneficial.

I also said I would love to have them both and not necessarily as a replacement for Dorsey but that the Rockets hands are tied in how they could add McGee or any other additional rim protection without having to waive someone who could help this team now or in the future.

15. rocketsmetalspd

Good point but what IF Dwight is not able to come back right away? The team will need a legit 7 ft C that can get the boards and block shots. IF Dwight does come back it will take him a good while to get back to some form of being effective.

16. basketballholic

McGee has proven nothing but that he is a legitimate doughhead. All the same...I'd take his 6 fouls over Dorsey's 6 fouls IF we can get somebody else to pick up Dorsey's contract.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Dude,

did you know the 76ers reached the floor already by claiming T-rob?

Hinkie has a job and he needs to answer the question of his boss, whose name is not Morey.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Clippers not very interested in JaVale McGee, I have been told.</p>&mdash; Ben Bolch (@latbbolch) <a href="https://twitter.com/latbbolch/status/572465153570025472">March 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I think the Rockets are very high on Johnson, especially McHale so I don't think he will be waived at all. It has to be Dorsey.

There will be no room for him if we can land McGee. Jones is playing well, Smith is solid, Dmo can be really good and Howard will hopefully be Howard. McGee might not even get minutes for us but he is a much better player than Dorsey.

Can't teach height.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Neither of them is playing 36 minutes, it's used to help conceptualize it so that your frontal cortex doesn't melt down when you're trying to figure out if .35 rebounds per minute is actually good or not.

Javale has a worse everything in rebounding than Dorsey.

Per 36
    Per 48
    Per 1
    Per possession
    Per available rebound

And it's not even close. For 36 minutes, for 36 seconds, for 36 possessions, for 36 shots....

...he's worse.