1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick: JaVale McGee freed from Philly, Houston among potential destinations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2015.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its minor, but if Morey waived Dorsey to sign McGee it would cost the Rockets a million in cap this Summer which could be a difference maker.

And losing a prospect like Nick Johnson just to sign McGee who might not even play could be a costly move.

So I disagree Plow. Everything costs something. There is definite risk and cost associated with making a move now to sign McGee.

again... a player who might not crack the rotation (and if you watched him play in Philly this year, you'd agree that's a definite possibility).

(And I didn't even touch on the risk associated with locker room chemistry)

2. Exiled

Exiled Member

In limited minutes ,Dorsey is strong enough to kick LeBron's nuts and push away bigger guys, something McGee might not do

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If you looking for someone to play the 12th man role and play spot minutes that will give you better defense and rebounding than Dorsey, then your going to have to find someone other than JaVale McGee.

Dorsey is averaging almost 12 rebounds per game per 36 minutes. McGee is averaging almost 9 rebounds per game per 36 minutes. JaVale is a better shot blocker from the week side but not a better defender and Dorsey still averages almost 1.5 blocks per 36. Dorsey is substantially better at defense than JaVale.

4. fattz

fattz Member

The fact that a minimum contract to the 13th player on a 15 man roster is so cut and dagger is silly... McGee is a better player and will cost the same (really $1M more with Dorsey contract, too). Has McGee ever played with an all world? Where his role is get the block or rebound and pass the ball to player x. Set a pick for player x, set a screen for player x. DO NOT DO ANYTHING LESS OR MORE.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

15-9-3 vs. 7-12-1 per 36

Even in a down year and playing unmotivated, McGee's numbers still trump a playing-for-my-NBA-life's version of Dorsey.

That said, I get it: Dorsey is a safer option. Despite his nauseating limitations as a basketball player, he still plays hard and brings good attitude/energy to the locker room. Most GM's will gravitate towards that sort of player. Especially, at this point in the season.

Just saying, I'd be interested to see what could happen if you tightened the screws on his head, put him in a winning environment and coached him back to life. He could be a difference-maker and the risk would be minimal. So you can't blame people for being intrigued by the idea.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have been thinking about a non gluten diet but haven't decided yet. :grin:

7. dwhite

dwhite Member

Give me a break....you don't really believe what you are spewing, do you??? To claim that Dorsey is better than anyone in the NBA is irresponsible at the very best. JaVale runs circles around Dorsey and could actually help us in the Playoffs. He could be the last link to moving us to the next level and would certify us as having the best and most feared defensive bench in the NBA!!!

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

He would be a upgrade over Dorsey the shot blocking alone would help.

9. rocketsmetalspd

Very true. I just hope Morey does get McGee and will have to cut Dorsey but Dorsey has avoided being the odd man out this season but will see once McGee passes through being waived.

10. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

Yep, D-Mo is as softer than Tiago Splitters vagina.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ten teams, mostly playoff contenders, have already expressed interest in free agent to be center JaVale McGee, a source told Yahoo Sports.</p>&mdash; Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/572438620444884993">March 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. sabesque

sabesque Member

JaVale McGee is the last link to becoming a championship contender?

The same guy who the 6th worst team in the NBA had to give up a first round pick for the second worst team in the NBA to take on?

The same guy that the second worst team in the NBA waived without a buyout agreement?

13. Airdough

Airdough Member

That's why I said I would love to have both. I am not a huge per 36 fan because its doubtful many players would actually ever live up to their per 36 totals if forced to play that many minutes on a consistent basis.

Most of us here would agree that the Rockets need another rim protector and rebounder. If Howard comes back, then that role is filled. Most of us would also agree the Rockets could use another shooter off the bench to add rotation flexibility and also in case other shooters go cold.

I was referencing players that could be a benefit but the problem the Rockets have is that they have no clear-cut person to waive. The Rockets appear to be locked-in right now roster wise for the playoffs.

14. chandlerbang21

You prefer Dorsey?

15. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Fk that if we can get him we get him!!!

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Uh, Josh Smith?

17. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

18. sabesque

sabesque Member

To me, it's a wash. Dorsey's limitations are physical. McGees limitations are mental (BBIQ).

McGee doesn't seem like a seamlessly transition and contribute to a new team type guy. And our current rotation is doing pretty well.

19. sabesque

sabesque Member

Is there some sort of comparison between the two?

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

JaVale is a better offensive player but not as good of a defensive player and certainly not as good of a rebounder.