1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick: JaVale McGee freed from Philly, Houston among potential destinations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He's a headcase but he's a 7 ft shot blocking rim protector, and I like that, especially when my other 7 foot shot blocking rim protector is hurt. As offensively skilled as dmo is, he's too soft to protect the rim. My only concern about adding McGee, is hurting team chemistry. He'd need to be on a very short leash. Pretty sure we'd have the inside scope with the Hinkie relationship.

2. speed star

speed star Member

Javale would give us another 7 footer to grab rebounds especially against D. Jordan who has been a monster on the boards this year. If we could somehow get him to play a similar role like DeAndre, it would help us substantially.

3. hakeemthagreat

I think this is a very small concern. Nothing serious. We have vets like Terry that'll stay in his ear and keep him positive. To be honest, I'd be disappointed if we don't nab him. I think backup center is our biggest weakness and we'll get exposed if we don't fix it now. I just hope Morey's humble enough to realize his Joey Dorsey experiment was a mistake

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Really? Who's minutes does he take in Houston? DMo's? TJones? Josh's? Personally my first thought was hell yes sign him but then I thought, when would he play? I think he would be a regular rotation guy in Dallas at the 5. Right now Aminu plays a lot of 4 when he is really a 3. Mavs would have a front court rotation of Tyson, Dirk, Amare and JaVale. In Houston it would be Dwight (when healthy), Terrence, DMo & Josh; even with the addition of JaVale.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

YES - Gives us size/what we need..at a position of need...for nothing.

Guys come here and chill.

We're fockassed on a title..and that kind of dedication is infectious/enforced. A vibe at this point.. All he needs to do is rebound/block shots for 15-20 minutes/game (maybe more for a bit until Dwight's back) ...We need it now, but this will help limit Dwight's minutes enough to where he should be stronger when he DOES play come playoff time.

The legendary big man academy.....

Hinkie and DM's relationship.

2 no brainers in one.

#105 Plowman, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

DMO has been playing way too many minutes to be effective. DMO has been outplayed on the boards massively. Almost 20 rebounds for Tristan Thompson and the Cavs killed us on the offensive glass.

We need a glass eater and NO ONE on this team right now can do the job better than McGee. Maybe Jones is close

7. crash5179

No way Kevin changes his line-up that drastically. The only addition to the current rotation will be when Dwight comes back. JaVale would be placed in the same spot on the bench that Joey Dorsey currently holds. Kevin is not a fan of a 10 man rotation but when Dwight comes back that is effectively what he will have. He is not going to an 11 man rotation for someone like jaVale and there is absolutely no way he takes DMo out of the rotation. DMo has not been rebounding well lately but he has played very well in other areas including consistently good on the offensive end.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Most, including me, would rather just role with Smith as the back up 4/5 along with DMo. Javale would frustrate Harden and probably throw his game off too. The guy is just dumber than bricks that's why the Nuggets just decided to waive him because they weren't able to deal him in not a Josh Smith way...

9. Lightsnowaction

If Harden wanted Perkins, maybe he will want JaVale McGee too.

10. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I had no idea how unproductive he was. No thank you.

11. hakeemthagreat

Great post. We nearly lost the game yesterday because we couldn't get a rebound. Dmo can't play center for long stretches without getting kiled on the boards

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Doubt it. Dorsey isn't trash first of all, but the Rockets have shown that they don't want to dump him and just eat that salary next year.

McGee would barely play, just like Dorsey barely plays.

13. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

We didn't upgrade the C at the trade deadline, please make this move. His height alone will help against the West Conf bigs.

- Dwight is 6'10" and does as much as he can, by himself (when he's on the court)
    - Dmo is a soft 7'-0"
    - Dorsey is what 6'-9"

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's not even close in rebounding.

Dorsey isn't a shotblocker, but he has the highest rebound rate on the whole team (over 18) and has a career 20% rate.

McGee's career rebounding rate is substantially lower (15) and is pitiful this year at 12.8 - that is about the same mediocre level for a big man as Motiejaunas has.

15. Airdough

Airdough Member

McGee would step in for rim protection as well as help out when DMo gets in foul trouble. Most of the contenders in the west have a deep front court and you can't discount his ability to grab boards and give you 6 fouls, even when Dwight comes back.

He's not great but the Rockets need either another shooter (like Delfino if he is healthy) or another rim protector to round out the playoff roster.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Javale can't even get playing time as a Nugget and they weren't able to trade him. What does that say to you? Dorsey is still gutsier and will get that emphatic dunk, block, and or rebound more often than not. He's not trash despite being 6'7. McGee is mentally r****ded, that alone will hurt this team in critical and non-critical moments.

17. hakeemthagreat

Yea but Dorsey barely plays because he sucks and is too often undersized. Are you gonna ask him to guard a 7ft Lopez? Or DeAndre Jordan? Mozgov?

18. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Dorsey is a beast on the boards. All your boards, are belong to us. McGee would only get us national recognition on Shaqtin' a Fool

19. crash5179

Funny how people talk about Joey sucking. Have you guys watched him this season? Just shaking my head at that comment. As a 12th man he has been exceptional and provided quality minutes while on the floor. He is a 12th man, what are your expectations for a 12th man? JaVale will not out rebound or play better defense than Joey.

It's obvious that those of you calling Joey trash will never be happy with him, regardless how well he plays.

1 person likes this.
  20. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

Is this team destined to be the laughing stock of the NBA? Dwight, morey, and now possibly Javale McGee? No thanks we have suffered enough embarrassment and hate this season.