1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sales Salary/Commission

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by slcrocket, Dec 29, 2011.

1. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I am just curious - I will be changing my position within our company (we're in pest control) to being a full-time salesperson in the beginning of January - with an emphasis primarily on commercial properties. Being a smaller, family company, this is the first time that the company has had a full-time salesperson who can focus totally on that side of the business and not have a hand in other aspects of the company.

I am curious as to what kinds of compensation scales you have experienced. I realize that there are many variables that can go into a pay structure - but what has worked where you have been? What hasn't worked? What kinds of percentages would you recommend? Again, I fully recognize that at least the vast majority of you haven't dealt with sales pay structures within a pest control context, but I'm willing to bet many of you have dealt with pay structures within other service industries or for salespeople in general. I'm trying to see what I should bring to the table during any negotiations.

Thanks!

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Very hard to answer without knowing the context of your industry (and company). In my industry, it can be anywhere from 3-10% based on either total sales revenue or profit.

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

depends, typically you want a base (not a draw), plus variable. depending on the potential, i'd look at the total on-target comp, and then ask for a roughly 50/50 split base/variable, with accelerators if you go over target.

i've been on some form of commission for the past 20 years, and it's largely worked out well.

4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Depends on who you're trying to attract for entry level or somebody with a few years under their belt I think a salary in the 30's with total income potential of around 60kish is reasonable. (Add mileage + benefits)

If you're looking for somebody that is well accomplished and been in this line of work or existing contacts than I'd guess they'd want more....

With it not being a big time ticket commission (or at least I wouldn’t think)/new position and doesn’t sound like there is pre-set appointments I'd avoid a draw or 100% commission to get somebody that will succeed and not jump on to something else quickly..

5. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Commission will vary based on the product/services you are selling so I have no idea what to tell you. Hope that helps... :p