1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sage

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jopatmc, Dec 14, 2007.

1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

If you look at the numbers for both Schaub and Sage, they are remarkably similar when AJ is on the field. Schaub's numbers took a huge hit when AJ was out. Sage is 2-0 in starts with AJ, although he played the vast majority of the game we lost to the Titans. Schaub is 3-1 in games he started and finished with AJ, he was knocked out of Titans game early. I don't understand where everyone is thinking that Sage is the better QB. If anything they're pretty equal.

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

I was thinking that maybe we can trade Schaub to Atlanta for two second round picks. :cool:

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Schaub may be injury prone.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is something that Atlanta may actually want to do.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sage has a very quick release -- he doesn't take many sacks at all. I don't think he was sacked last week and vs. the Titans they got close several times, but he would get the ball out of there before the sack (still took some hits though).

6. RocketFan007

He was sacked 3 times last week, and fumbled twice.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

To me quite honest Sage seems to me like a John Kitna-lite or Josh McCowen. He is a guy that is a good back-up, will be prepared and knows the system, may even win some games for you if pressed to start. But he nowhere near talented or consistent enough to be a starter on a good team.

The Texans should keep both unless they draft another QB.

8. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Their passing stats are similar, but I think Sage is more mobile than Matt.
    In the opening drive (Thurs nite) would Matt have dive in for the score? I think he would have either forced the passed or throw it away.
    Just something I notice.

9. RocketFan007

Anyone check out the QB growth stocks on espn.com? Schaub was listed under the buy category, along with Romo, Roethlisberger, Palmer and Garrard, and ahead of Rivers, Young, Anderson and Campbell and Eli. Here's what they have to say about Schaub, some interesting quotes in bold:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3142771

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You'd be lucky to get a 3rd rounder.

It never ceases to amaze me how people undervalue NFL draft picks.

IMO You'd be idiots to give up Schaub. Adding a decent RB, keeping the O-Line healthy, keep Andre Johnson and a strong receiver corps of Walter, Davis and Daniels, this could be a very high octane offense for the next decade. I could see Schaub consistently putting up 3000+ yards, 22-25 TD, with plenty of room to grow. Sage Rosenfels is a good backup but don't read too much into what he's accomplished and what he's capable of.

11. RocketFan007

I'm pretty sure he was joking about the trade, considering we gave up 2 seconds for Schaub.

I think you're right about Schaub though. He's going to be a very good NFL QB, as long as he can stay healthy.

12. Desert Scar

Not a terrible job, but some pretty big misses there. Cutler ahead ("strong buy") of Romo, Palmer and Big Ben (buy) is CRAZY. I can buy Cutler as a "buy" sure, but then if so those others are strong buys. IMO Anderson and Young should be moved from HOLD to BUY--definetly Anderson, who I think has been even more impressive than Cutler. No way Schaub should be a level higher than Anderson either.

They do have Eli as SELL (bottom) right on.

13. RocketFan007

I thought some of the ratings were a little odd, but they were done by NFL coaches and scouts, people who actually know what they're doing and what to look for. You have to remember this was very much based on future performance, so they're not saying Cutler is better than Romo et. al right now, just that he has the higher ceiling.

14. Desert Scar

Couple things. The information was organized by 1 media guy. So he can selectively include others comments to make the story more compelling. I'd really like to hear how many of the 11 interviewed would pick Cutler over Romo, Big Ben or Palmer to build a team--might be only a couple. So there are some good comments/insights, but also probably a good degree of editing and selection for story appeal.

I also wonder if any views changed after those 4 perfect passes to Will Demps, and now that the Broncos are out of playoff contention--maybe a little what have you done for me lately going on. Cutler looks overall good, but let's not pretend he is a sure thing like Carson Palmer.

And again Anderson is pretty underrated, makes me think many of the 11 haven't watched enough of him--maybe they have had little reason to if the Browns are not possible opponents and they have been focused on current opponents.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The thing that has jumped out at me so far about Cutler is how he gets impatient and tries to rely too much on his arm instead of maybe settling for the check-off or getting rid of it. He was terrible at most times against a good Oakland secondary, looked great against Kansas City and then back down again because he couldn't avoid the pressure coming at him off the end.

Very erratic right now, but the talent is there. Reminds of Eli a little bit in that aspect.