1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sad Times] Walmart Shelves Emptied in Food Stamp Shopping Spree

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pugsly8422, Oct 14, 2013.

1. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

So jus bc we have lots of food we have to give it to the poor? We have lots of money should we just give it to them so they can skip work? O wait we already do that. Poor in America isn't poor, go ask my parents what poverty in India was like without government help and yet they're both well off today and my mom is even a neurologist, that's something none of these Walmart thieves will ever be

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah, the military does it but it's not as attention grabbing as WalMart shoppers and their imaginary Escalades.

The Army’s $5 billion waste

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

thats different because of truth in advertising laws allow you to legally pay any advertised price even if its a mistake, because the consumer usually doesn't know when its a mistake. However, these people at the Walmart KNEW they were breaking the law. Basically they were stealing. The bad thing is the managers at Walmart allowed it.

In this case, the consumers and Walmart were both in the wrong.

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

You're absolutely right! It's a moral deficiency thing, and both should be frowned upon...:eek:

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From the article:
    [rquoter]Lynd said that around 9 p.m. CT on Saturday, a Walmart employee made an announcement on the intercom saying that the computer system had been restored and card limits had returned. At that time, customers left shopping carts full of food in store aisles.[/rquoter]

While the customers left a mess it sounds like there wasn't too much problems when the situation ended. Given that if Walmart had just stuck to policy and recognized the limit there might not have been a problem.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Not saying those guys are morally superior but there was a procedure that Walmart chose to ignore the consequences.
    :confused:

I am not sure how that is comparable? As the customers didn't do anything illegal since Walmart allowed them to exceed the limit. I agree what they did wasn't ethical but your examples involve criminal behavior.

A better example would be on Halloween if you allow trick or treaters to take candy themselves from your candy bowl. The ethical thing to do is for them to only take one piece but don't be surprised if they take a whole handful each and you find yourself out of candy early in the night.

8. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Screw a handful, some ******* kid always dumps the whole damn bowl in their bag. Every year. He/she deserves the rotted teeth and fat jokes. :mad:

9. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Blaming anyone but the people who took advantage of this glitch is the same type of mentality these thieves have.

The problem now, is that they got away with it without repercussions. This only feeds to their minds that they can constantly look for ways to steal from the government's (and tax payers') money. Sickening is what this is to be honest.

10. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Truthfully, if I was there (and I've been to springhill) and had a food stamp card (i don't) i'd have a deep freezer full of meat right now and would be planning this weekends bbq (still might).

#90 macho GRANDE, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  11. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I bet you dollars to donuts that all of these people at one time worked for AIG, Lehman Brothers, Enron, Bernie Madoff and/or every republican politician in Washington D.C.

12. TheresTheDagger

Taking advantage of a broken system to obtain something of value at the cost of another party....is stealing.

It doesn't matter who you steal from.
    It doesn't matter if it was made easy for you.
    It doesn't matter that others get away with stealing too.
    It doesn't matter if who you stole from can afford it.

Its stealing. Its wrong. There is no justification.

2 people like this.
  13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Well said! Unfortunately,we are in the minority with this viewpoint...:(

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

All? Oddly enough I worked for one of these companies and my younger brother worked for another one, but this still seems like a stretch.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Low information voter p*rn.

:rolleyes:

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Let me ask you this. When companies take advantage of tax loopholes to pay no taxes and even get money from the government do you consider that stealing?

17. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

I don't always do right. I usually do. But sometimes I don't.
    I guess I'm just complex like that.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sad times indeed. It's sad when people taking advantage of the mistake on Walmart is so immorally wrong, but see no wrong and do nothing about Wall Street main stays that do far worth.

People have bought into the Cadillac welfare queen myth, and it diverts their attention from the power brokers that really screw our society over.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Classic American class warfare. Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you king

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Will you get in trouble for using a loophole? The word loophole gets misused often. If something is designed for a specific reason, its not a loophole.