1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sad Times] Walmart Shelves Emptied in Food Stamp Shopping Spree

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pugsly8422, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't see how the government is going to pay for it. I think this more like a slickdeals effect where an item is mispriced.

2. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

im watching fox news now and walmart will pay for it and says it won't affect their bottom line but the judge and varney are talking about the morality of it all, these people knew they didn't have the money and it was an error so they called all their friends and STOLE from the store.

hooligans, poor people im fine with, the hardowrking honest ones.... it's the poor people who are mooches and live off our government then pull stupid crap like that that i hate

3. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Kids, I get. Adults doing this, sad and pitiful. Its a useless bunch of humans who take advantage of a mistake.

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

The truth is just about everyone who goes to a grocery store has witnessed it at one time or another, and it's not just at Walmart! I agree that the majority of the people who receive food stamps might actually be in NEED of them, but there are more than a few who abuse the system, and are not shy in doing so! These are the same people who use handicap tags to park in the prime parking spots while there are perfectly fit, and have nothing wrong physically that merits them having such a privilege!....:eek:

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am enjoying how a decision by the retailer to knowingly go against established policy is turned into a thread bashing the customers.

I agree those people took advantage of the system but Walmart was one the one that made it possible.

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

good for them. my useless hooligan ass would've been right there with em.

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Not to excuse these people...

But check out blatant price mistakes on SlickDeals or FatWallet. Tons of people try to jump in on them. And then claim outrage if/when they are rescinded. We've had those kind of threads spill over here on CF too. It happens everywhere.

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

While there are some similarities, the difference is people on slickdeals are using their own earned money.

I don't really care about the "incident" in the OP as it was a one-time freak thing, but I don't really see how it is exactly the same as a person buying something that is mistakenly put on sale with their own money.

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Sure it's sarcasm...until he posted google research as his proof and seen it with his own eyes LOL

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you think Walmart may have been concerned, especially with the volume of people in the store, that there could be problems if they refused to honor the cards?

11. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

You want some cheese with that whine?

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What you decricibed is called robbery.

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I would guess not, since policy would normally dictate that they recognize the situation and react differently than they did. I mean, sure the people in question might have been concerned about it, but that's why you put policies in place, so people working there know what to do in a situation like that.

What I don't get is the "Sad times" part of the title.... as though this wouldn't have happened back when (insert your guess at what OP meant here). Not that it was a happy situation, but "sad times" in general has implications. Fraud and opportunism are not recent inventions.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I am OUTRAGED.

1 person likes this.
  15. SunsRocketsfan

those people are still the trash of society.

A lot of things are possible. It's possible for you to go buy a gun and shoot someone. It's possible for me to steal my coworkers shiny new iphone that he has sitting on his desk right now. He left it out and made it possible. But any respectable person with morals wouldnt do such a thing. Those people are just leeches and hurt the real people who really need help.

1 person likes this.
  16. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Great. I bet it took you less than one second to come up with that line.

1 person likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Walmart did make it possible. There was an established protocol for merchants when the system goes down. Walmart made the decision to not follow the established protocol and as such are liable for any issues related to not following the protocol.

I don't think there is anything to really argue about.

18. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Sad part is that America has so much food, yet we have families who can hardly afford it and need government aid to purchase essential things like milk, eggs, bread, etc.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They could honor the cards up to $50 which is the law. Instead, they let people buy as much as they could carry and then people tried to take advantage of it which should not have been a surprise.

20. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I see what you did there.....