1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sad Times] Walmart Shelves Emptied in Food Stamp Shopping Spree

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pugsly8422, Oct 14, 2013.

1. joesr

joesr Member

a plain white card isnt hard to not see even when not directly looking.....

..............does your cashier usually take long with you??

dude your ignant

2. joesr

joesr Member

you should try reading again or taking classes. I read sarcasm immediately in the OP :cool:

3. joesr

joesr Member

I think its, "When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me"

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You wouldn't have the balls to say something like this in public.

On the topic, yes there is abuse in welfare. I get pissed when I see it.

There are also elderly people who are splitting pills and taking a bus to use food stamps to barely eat for the week.

1 person likes this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It being 2013 and all maybe just maybe someone could think of a system that gives more incentive to work. EIC is not enough. Someone a lot smarter then me.

6. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

That's great but I don't hang out at walmart or shop at food-o-rama so i rarely see these types of hooligans. I live inside the loop and we don't even have a walmart inside the loop.

7. SlizardOO

SlizardOO Member

things like this happen all the time. Airline sites accidentally post flights for insane prices. also people on Slickdeals.net and other deal sites find price errors and take advantage all the time.

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

There's one on Yale. It was kind of a big deal when they were building it.

9. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Yeah, but regular tax payers aren't the ones paying for those price errors, it's the stores. Big difference.

Average Joe spends money he earned on an item that was mistakenly under priced. Did the other taxpayers fund Joe? No. So who will pay for this mistake? Well the store isn't going to make Joe return his items (unless they can cancel his order), so the store will have to eat the cost, and Joe gets his item that he paid for with his hard earned money.

In this instance, taxpayers are providing support to these people, supposedly $100 at a time, but they're spending upwards of $700. Who pays for that $600 difference? Unless the store is going to pay for it due to their mistake, it's the taxpayers.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The government isn't going to pay for it. There is a protocol that merchants are to follow and Walmart failed to follow it. Even if hypothetically the government were to reimburse Walmart, the money would be deducted off the EBT card every month until it is paid in full.

Welfare abuse is something that happens (although I suspect less often than you believe), but if you are concerned about the tax payers you should begat more concerned with government contracts, oil subsidies, government kick backs, etc. Welfare fraud is literally a cup of water from the ocean by comparison.

11. SexyButIgnorant

This be the product of this nation of entitlement. Sad, sad times indeed.

12. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

I think they should look through footage and if they can zoom in arrest every single person who bought items they didn't pay for. These are thieves and clearly are useless americans since they have to resort to ebt cards so throwing them in jail should be a plus even though it costs us so much to incarcerate them. God I wish we could just put these people down along with the murderers and rapists. I honestly don't know why we have jails, if you commit crimes you should just be executed, criminals never get better with rehab.

1 person likes this.
  13. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Perhaps this crappy thread should be moved over to D&D? Or just closed?

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Unfortunate, but not likely to happen again anytime soon.

But what pisses me off even more are those who steal from retail stores for a living. Probably because I worked in retail from age 16-23. I can spot them a mile away nowadays.

Just recently I went to return something at Target, and there were two large women also at the customer service desk. The large women were wanting to "return" some expensive toys that they didn't have receipts for, as well as many different types of clothing for which they also had no receipts. To do this, the Target employees needed their Driver's License. Using the Driver's License they track how many items an individual returns. They have a certain amount of money that each person can return without a receipt each year. The first woman had already reached her limit. So then the second woman offers her Driver's License, which was also past her limit. Then the second woman offers a different Driver's License, her "other one" as she put it, and that too was past the limit. The second woman then asked the first woman if she had her "other" Driver's License, to which the first woman responded that she didn't.

It was at this point that the women started to raise their voices and grow indignant, causing the manager to come over. They both declared that neither of them ever shop at Target, so there's no way they could have returned anything this year.

Now, if you haven't worked for many years in retail, you might be saying to yourself, "Well, maybe they had their identities stolen and with those stolen identities someone stole a lot of crap from Target and returned it using those driver's licenses, and maybe they had multiple driver's licenses for the same state because of some beaurocratic mix up. Maybe, just maybe, they were being completely honest." But if you have worked in retail for many years, you know this to be BS. Because in retail you see this or some slight variant of this at least once a week.

They, or someone they are working with, stole all that crap. And the worst part is: everyone knows it. You could tell the employees knew it. The manager of course knew it. I'm sure even the two large women knew that the employees knew it. Standing nearby and hearing/witnessing the whole thing, I knew it. But, not a thing can be done about it. You just have to play your part in this and let them get away with it. Because if you say something, they will flip out and the situation will only get worse.

So they ended up getting store credit and were told they could only get something with a similar SKU (the SKU thing is new to me - back when I worked they got store credit and could get anything, so this is progress!). That made the large women pretty pissed off, but in the end they still get free stuff and everyone else gets screwed.

Retailers know about crap like this and take it into account when they price their items. So people who steal from retail lead to higher prices for everyone else.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The EBT cards limits were removed, so nobody would have walked out with any merchandise that the store wouldn't have been compensated for. This seems more and more like a Ronny or Texx alias with every post.

17. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

so if it's all paid for then who pays for it pouhe? The taxpayers???? Or perhaps we can see what each card charged and cut off benefits every month until their totals catch up? that would be perfect!

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They're not taking merchandise from a store without paying for it, so there's no reason to want to put them in jail; you spoiled, bigoted jerk. Shut the hell up, for once.

19. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

That is what I am hoping will happen, as I stated in the OP. I wouldn't mind seeing them tack on penalties and interest too, just like when you basically steal from the government by avoiding taxes, and it finally catches up with you. In a perfect world, in my opinion and if possible, the funds are suspended until they are paid back (with penalties and interest), and additional charges are brought upon the people (don't know if this is possible since not everyone spent $700, and I'm not an expert on how much you need to "steal" to be charged with certain things). I'm not saying this warrants jail time, but just having a blemish on their record could make all the difference years from now when/if they attempt to get a job.

I'm concerned with all of the things you mentioned, and agree that they are big problems. The difference is, I haven't witnessed those first hand on numerous instances like this. Also, the fact that I have worked in tax for many years tends to sway me in that direction.

20. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I would pay to see footage of him saying that in public.

eddiewinslow, I think I speak for the majority of the board when I say that you should do like the career of Darius McCrary (aka Eddie Winslow) and go die somewhere.