1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[sad] High School Student, Tweeted 144 Times Before Committing Suicide

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrdave543, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, a family member sexually abuses her and then forces her into prostitution? And, said family member is still free walking the streets?

I certainly hope there is some justice for her now when there was none while she was living. Whomever didn't take her seriously when she came forward to report it should be fired imo. They get to live with the guilt as well...assuming they have a conscience.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

um, an incredibly disturbed kid does not necessarily speak the truth. She could have even been delusional.

It really seems to be changing in this country, for some reason: allegation = truth now.

A social worker met with her and allegedly "had trouble believing her." Maybe that's because he had bad judgment, or maybe she was interspersing her story with alien abduction anecdotes and mind control stories.

Some people go nuts. It's also very sad. We don't have any data here.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I hate people.

4. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Terribly sad story. As a parent, I cannot imagine having to go thru this. But one thing for sure.. if the authority wasn't going to do anything, I would have. That m'f'er would definitely not be walking the streets. I hope they do something about it now. RIP Ashley.

5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

The fact that she killed herself indicates she is telling the truth....

Not many people are that "delusional" to lie like that and kill themselves... What do you gain???

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

This is no place for calm and order; we're having a clutchfans discussion here.

1 person likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Dude. Sorry, I work with thousands of young people, and... yeah, it's incredibly sad, but all kinds of disorders start at that age and, yes, suicide can be a result. Have you heard of Paranoid Schizophrenia?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001925/

symptoms include: thinking others are trying to harm you
    can result in: suicide

How can you convict a father based on tweets? What am I missing? He's innocent until convicted of something.

I have no more evidence for her having a mental illness (other than suicide and 144 tweets in rapid succession) than you have evidence for her father doing these things (other than suicide and 144 tweets in rapid succession.)

Okay, I'm signing off and the indignation fest can continue. Just don't tweet anything about me -- it's the new criminal justice system, apparently.

8. Precision340

Precision340 Member

You bring up a valid point... but a serious allegation such as this needs to be thoroughly investigated regardless. So that makes me wonder how much effort by the social worker was put into proving/disproving the allegation? We just don't know.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

doesn't the pflugerville p.d. still have an open case on her allegations? if they thought they were without merit, wouldn't they have closed it by now?

10. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

This is the worst defense of the validity of her allegations I can think of. How in the world would her death prove anything about her life? Delusional people don't kill themselves, because they are just seeking attention? Please. Killing yourself is the biggest attention grabber their is.

Delusional people delude themselves, and express those delusions imperfectly, including the expression of what can be viewed as the only control they have, the ability to take one's life.

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Killing yourself is an attention grabber for the victim???.. That's why suicide baffles me for victims that are seeking attention.... What kind of attention are you looking for?.... A better eulogist?...

And again Gilligan, I aint defending anything... I dont like it and feel sorry for the family(those that care about her).... I think your tiny ship has been tossed again shippy...

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know her personal history, but based on what they know your scenario seems quite improbable. If she has always been a delusional person, you'd think her family and friends would know it. Sent her to see a shrink, watch over her more closely(or at least follow her twitter), etc. Things that parents tend to do when they have a sick child.

If I had to bet money, I'd say she was for the most part speaking the truth.

13. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Exactly meh... Suicidal talk isnt something that should be taken lightly, under any circumstances

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

well, it's unlikely this case is going to be proven now with the key witness dead. so, whether the father is guilty or innocent will likely never be known. there is likely no physical evidence. just her words...which weren't good enough. her best friend seemed to believe she was being abused. she also said the daughter had the support of her Mom (who was told later about it). now, whether that implies Mom believed her or not is another story. but, the best friend also said the girl had mood swings that could be bi-polar disorder as she would fly from ups to downs in no time at all. my experience with bi-polar people who don't have the right med balance in play is they can and will say anything...true or not...if their disease isn't under control. i know that from first-hand experience in dealing with a family member. so, it's possible she made the whole thing up...which i didn't consider originally. it would suck if she was running around with untreated bi-polar disorder...which is entirely possible.

i would obviously not want to lock someone up without the proof there. my opinion was based on my belief that she was abused. my first tendency was to believe the girl was abused. but, if she was, then she failed to prove it (for whatever reason) to those who were trying to help her.

so, who knows? the truth may never come out. it's not unthinkable in the slightest that a father could do this to his daughter and get away with it. he would have to crack under interrogation. they should definitely be investigating this even moreso now, however.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

the way she tweeted this i could see how people would think they were song lyrics, or that she was rambling about something. Maybe a poem, a story, etc....im guessing people started ignoring them at some point. If she had started her tweets with her last tweet, i think someone would have definitely tried to help, assuming they were reading it.

Sad, either way.

16. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

You don't think attempted suicide is a cry for attention?

Quit being finicky and bitter because I called your atrocious language skills out in the DD/Swoly thread. Discuss the matters at hand young man. And learn to use periods.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Dang. R.I.P. :(

Most people don't know that 70% of people threatening suicide don't go through with it, but can't accept that they can also help the 30% other. Would you want to wait to know what percentage is the person who threatens? No one should.

I don't know, but would this make so much impact if she hadn't "tweeted" this? :eek: I am thinking EVERYONE deserves to be helped, no matter how the disclose these desires. Any cry for help is a cry for help.

18. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

This girl went to my old high school. If I remember correctly, there was another suicide not too long ago in the same area. Kid hung himself.

The tweets, if still up, are very graphic.

At least she was able to tell her story.
    From reading her tweets, its easy to make the assumption that the first effort failed. Then she opened up and finished by trying again.

Sad story.

19. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

What kind of ****ing friends does she have that it led to this?

20. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I heard about her from an email that was sent out on my sorority list serv. Extremely sad.