1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sacbee: Yao takes one or two for team down in paint

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by room4rentsf, Dec 9, 2005.

1. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Kings notes: Yao takes one or two for team down in paint
    By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
    Published 2:15 am PST Friday, December 9, 2005
    Story appeared in Sports section, Page C5
    When it was over, Yao Ming looked as if he had gone the full 15 rounds.
    A Band-Aid over one eye from a previous bout and a gash on the left side of his cheek required immediate pressure to stop the blood flow at Arco Arena and left the Houston Rockets' center looking battered, but not beaten.

Yao scored 21 points, grabbed nine rebounds and blocked two shots and he drew some ribbing from teammates and coaches for being a 7-foot-6 guy who still managed to absorb some elbows to the face.

"I've been there," Rockets assistant coach Patrick Ewing said. "Happens to all of us."

Ewing, the former New York Knicks All-Star center, said he bristles at any criticism of Yao, a man with as much upside as his wingspan who produces solid numbers without necessarily dominating games. Yao was effective against the Kings except for his game-high six turnovers.

"People will criticize no matter what he does because it'll never be good enough," Ewing said. "But getting better, that's Yao's job. He's going to be fine. He's a great guy, works hard, does everything we want."

Including taking some for the team.

Sizing up T-Mac
    Rick Adelman said Tracy McGrady is about as tough a cover as you can find in the NBA. The Kings' coach lumps him in with that elite class of Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, with Sacramento yet to play Bryant but already losing to Wade and James in the last week. McGrady scored 28 points against the Kings, doing a little of everything.
    "(His versatility), that's what makes him so good," Adelman said. "He has the ability to make threes, pull up, attack the basket. He's got the whole package. He finds a way. He's a terrific player."

Adelman said McGrady makes Yao better, makes the Rockets a major factor. No new development there, but it becomes painfully true when it unfolds in front of you. When McGrady was out nursing a sore back, the Rockets were 0-8, including a seven-game losing streak. They are 6-4 with him.

Hard on himself
    Bonzi Wells personally had a 9-0 run in the second half and he finished with 21 points, but the Kings' guard said, "I blame myself for this one." A bit harsh, no?
    "I let McGrady get 28," he explained. "I needed to do a better job on him. That might've helped us win."

All systems go?
    Brad Miller insists the formula is there to make it all work. The Kings' motion offense, with cutters and passers and shooters can still work, the center said.
    "It's not the system (that's not working), it's trying to get everyone on the same page," Miller said of the Kings' woes before Thursday's meltdown. "It's a simple system, a simple concept we play with, but it's hard to execute the way it was when I (first) got here and the even before I got here. I think people took for granted the experience and the years the guys had playing together. Doug (Christie) was always on the ball and from the outside in he was a huge part of this team's success. He got to play point guard and the offense would run through him, and Peja (Stojakovic) used to get two layups a game on one of the little tip plays when Doug would go down the middle.

"A lot of people don't realize how hard it is to get it as fine tuned as it was."

Miller remains a vital cog, a high-post passer who leads the Kings in assists (and leads all NBA players besides guards in assists). He admits that when he's not on, the Kings aren't on.

"I'm just pushing it too much at this point," Miller said. "It's not a real smooth machine. We have some kinks in it that we're trying to bend them out and get a win."

Barry out
    Jon Barry, who energized with a Rockets' career best 24 points in an early season victory over the Kings, did not play Thursday. The guard has been nursing a foot injury

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/13958096p-14792400c.html

2. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

Everyone says Yao is a hardworker..I respect him for that. Same can be said of Tmac since he arrived in Houston.

3. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

How could Rick Adelman tarnish Mcgrady's name by grouping him with Dwayne Wade? He's talented but by no means one of the greats. He's still a me first type player and loses the ball way too often by looking for his shot no matter how many people are guarding him. He's not Superman or Tmac for christ's sake.

4. droxford

droxford Member

Interesting how they don't actually admit that their player smacked Yao in the face and scratched him up.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

:confused:
    I don't get this. Keep in mind, this isn't Adelman's words, this is the journalist's commentary. Why is this added in as if McGrady isn't as good as those guys and it's news to the reader?

6. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

He carried the team to the second round of the playoffs his rookie season on a team that started 0-9 or something like that. He carried the Heat last season when Shaq was out in the second round of the playoffs. He and Zo are keeping the Heat afloat while Shaq is out in an Eastern Conference that is no longer considered the JV league to the West as in the recent few years. Personally, T-Mac is better because of his experience, scoring prowess and court vision but I think Wade belongs on that list, just as much as LBJ who hasn't even come close to sniffing the playoffs.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

and it wasn't even in the paint or while rebounding.. it was way out on the perimeter..

8. droxford

droxford Member

Nor were they even fighting for a loose ball.

9. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Yeah Wade may emerge as the best player of the entire group. No one penetrates and finishes the way he does and he doesn't waste shots by hoisting up jumpers all over the court. At this point he's the best player in Miami even with a healthy Shaq on the floor.

10. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

But he takes too much of a beating doing it. Dont you think Kobe and T-mac know their shooting percentage would sky rocket if they just drove it in every time. Granted wade has his advantage with his quickness but he takes too much of a beating in the paint. If wade is to be successful as he ages, he will also develop a shot. Maybe not shoot as much as T-mac or Kobe, but still will have to learn how to shoot.

11. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Just like Tracy and Kobe did, Wade will improve his shooting and rely less on taking it hard to the basket. If he doesn't, he won't last very long as a top level NBA player because of the beating. Remember Earl Campbell. I think Wade is smart enough to realize this.

12. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Wade doesn't take a beating going to the bucket. How many times do you see him blocked or undercut? He's like Francis in that he's strong in the air and most big guys just let him go rather than risk injurying themselves. Most of his drives result in clean dunks or easy lay-ups because the majority of defenders are to slow to rotate over to stop him. They don't call him Flash for nothing.