1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

S&C Staff and Dwight Howard got some one-on-one training

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Sep 2, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I remember that, but I assumed he was a lot closer to recovering by now. I know that clip isn't much, but it looks like Josh Powell would easily score higher on an assessment than Howard. I doubt he was ever 90% last season and still isn't now. My guess is, he's closer to 80%.

2. bmd

bmd Member

He's not a quack when it comes to martial arts. But I don't know how much certain techniques help help when it comes to football.

My point is that just because a sports franchise hires somebody from the outside doesn't mean what they are doing is proven.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And my point is, he's not an outsider. He wasn't brought in to teach the coaches to coach using relaxation techniques, or something like that. That would be closer to your example. He was brought in to help the sports medicine staff improve their ability to assess movement dysfunctions in the players and how to treat them. How is he an outsider to that when he's a chiropractor with a specialty in sports and director and owner of a sports performance center? In other words, an expert in a field was brought in to teach that field to those in that same field! It is not one discipline crossing into another and hoping something carries over.

He is a long time martial artist himself, so maybe that's where you're coming from, but that's not all he is and it's not what he is teaching the training staff.

Patrick Ward is one of the leaders in this field and this is what he had to say about him:
    Would an industry leader be smitten with a guy who's unproven in that industry?

#23 RV6, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Here's a longer video of the Instagram clips. This should give a better idea of what he is teaching:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DkvN-W73MLY

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/DkvN-W73MLY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/DkvN-W73MLY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I don't think enough attention has been given to Dwights health, herniated discs arent nothing to fk with and its not really that surprising that he feels only now that he's really coming good from it

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If you want to ask me what makes this guy a quack, and I had to pick just one thing, it would probably be the fact that he namedrops things like "enzymes" and "epigenetics" during his speech, when it's clear he has no idea what their meaning is.

Altogether it paints the picture of someone who is trying to transcend his status as a chiropractor who went to chiropractor school (look at all his co-"doctors", they all average like 7 letters after their names in an attempt to justify their expertise.) Some of those masters degrees they carry are completely made up. FRCms? And what the hell does it mean to graduate summa c*m laude from a chiropractor school?

If you wanna go to a glorified chiropractor to see if it helps any, fine. It just speaks to the fact that you're desperate, that the world experts that we have in PM&R over here at TIRR and Texas Orthopedic Hospital--two nation-renowned institutions run by, you know, real doctors--are not getting you the results you need. It's not like they're flying in James Andrews or anything.

7. anchel

anchel Member

Most important improvement of Howard it's on McHale and how he implements a better offense that involves Dwight and makes him feel important at every game also offensively.

8. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

If you are Korean, you can be Dr. Poon!

couldn't help myself

9. ling ling

ling ling Member

If you were Asian, you could be Dr. Bob Jim M.D.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

He referred to a joint as a rate limiting enzyme...que????

Very quack-ish...

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No, he didn't. He asked what the rate limiting enzyme of the joint is..

So the "real" doctors can't get results, but this guy can, and he's the quack? Gotcha.

I dont think you realize it's those doctors that often rush to operate on everything to solve a problem. That's what happened to Grant Hill. What do you think finally fixed him, without any more surgery? The staff's approach in Phoenix isn't much different then what this guy is teaching.

You've got two options. You can wait until problems in a player's mechanics eventually rip his acl and let the "real" doctors try to salvage their career...Or you can let the " quacks" correct their movement and save that ACL.

#31 RV6, Sep 3, 2014
  12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Option 3: Accept that 6'10", 270lb men with a 40 inch vertical leap who run tens of miles a week on hardwood while being beaten up by other very large men might become injured.

I'm not saying that being more mechanically sound is not of use but this guy seems like he is full of BS and you're eating it up.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Lol, I'm sure he meant "limiting factor"

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Accepting #3 is basically ignoring injury prevention.

What is BS? If people want to believe that, where is the proof? What is he doing wrong? Point something out and explain why it's BS. Simply saying it sounds like it isn't disproving anything.

And like I said before, people actually think the Rockets would hire someone like that to educate their staff? Really? What would that say about the staff, Morey and Les?

I actually don't think anyone really believes it, if they did, they'd be pretty pissed about following a clueless organization. Yet, no one has taken that stance. It's like Clutch making a horrible poster a moderator and people saying, that's BS, and then they just carry on like nothing is wrong. It doesn't make any sense.

#34 RV6, Sep 3, 2014
  15. Spacemoth

But why we gotta bring enzymes into this?

I give you the cash, you give me the donut.

End of transaction.

[​IMG]

16. haydenfisher342

"RIP"

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So your argument is one word? If they guy slipped up, you throw out everything he's ever done in his career out the window automatically?

Fine, so let's move on to Patrick Ward. He's an all star in the field and actually follows Spina, like I posted earlier. Do you think he's a quack too?

This is his review of one of Spina's courses:

http://optimumsportsperformance.com/blog/review-functional-anatomic-palpation-course/

#37 RV6, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  18. Spacemoth

I went to a doctor one time; all he did was take my blood. Do not go see Dr...Acula.

[​IMG]

I went to a doctor one time; all he did was FAP on me. Do not go see Dr...Spina.

19. FaBo

FaBo Member

It's just that an "enzyme" is something that has absolutely nothing to do with anything that dude said. I don't know why in the world you would use the word "enzyme" in that context. Doesn't make him look very credible, to be honest.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You've never heard someone speak that mixed up his words and didn't even realize it? Does that make them automatically clueless about the topic?

This is what Ward wrote about him. Does it sound like someone who lacks credibility?

Declaring the guy is full of it, over a word, is like saying Dwight Howard doesn't know about basketball because he was seen shooting an awful free throw..And I'm not even sure he really misspoke, I have a feeling he had a legitimate reason for using it. If he explained it at the beginning of his course and used it consistently throughout, then it would be understood by those in attendance, but not us.

#40 RV6, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014