1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett traded to the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketpower2, Aug 31, 2014.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Last year, we were the worst defense in the league in creating turnovers and we all b****ed about it (rightfully so). This year, we're one of the best at creating turnovers and we're just writing it off as good luck?

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a blind cheerleader like Swoly-D, but come on. At least acknowledge an area we are much improved in instead of just poo-pooing it off as good luck. LOL.

I've said this in another thread, but I really don't get this "either you win the SB or you tank the entire season" mentality around here. If we beat the colts on Thursday, we are in the driver's seat to win the division. We will have a 1 game lead on them and we still have 4 games against the jags and t***. The colts only have 2 left against those teams.

Fitzpatrick is just holding the reins until we draft our real QB this summer. BOB has obviously seen enough of Mallet to decide that he's no better than Fitzpatrick. He shouldn't have to prove it to the fans by playing him.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It goes beyond that. Do you think Fitzpatrick should/will be the QB next year? If not, then wtf is he doing here? Keeping the seat warm and selling false hope/tickets I suppose.

There's that false hope stuff I was talking about.

Once again, Mallet/Savage probably aren't as good for BOB's short-term job security. I understand this. His job is to win now. Not my problem.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Potentially helping the team get to a playoff bid.

If you look at the schedule, it's a legit possibility

Once again, you're trying to make the team worse in order to make a change for the sake of making a change.....how is it hard to understand why fans wouldn't want that?

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The people like me who think we have a shot at making the playoffs this year aren't thinking this because of our awesome QB. More like our awesome RB and our awesome defense.

Is it so hard to believe that we could sweep the hapless t*** and jags and go 2-5 against everyone else? That would put us at 9-7 with a pretty good shot at a wildcard or even the division.

I don't get this. It's every coaches job to win now. What do you mean it's not your problem?

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I think like that, too, but that's not being a BLIND HOMER cheerleader like you called me above at all, is it, joto? :p

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Fitzpatrick is doing exactly what we brought him here for - keeping the seat warm. Obviously O'Brien hasn't seen enough from Mallet, or isn't uncomfortable enough with Fitzpatrick to start Mallet.

If we are out of the playoff race with three or four games to go, I will start to be upset with Mallet not starting. The only thin about that is that that can also breed false hope....see Case Keenum's first few starts.

Anyways, what I'd like to see is a first round quarterback. I know O'Brien is said to not like scramblers, but I think Brett Hundley could be great in the NFL. I'd love to see us go after someone like that if we miss out on Mariota. I won't mention Winston, because McNair wouldn't sign off on it.

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

hundley? have you seen him play?

he looks the part, but he ain't the part. if he has success in the nfl it will be after several years of learning on the pine.

8. Two Sandwiches

I've seen him play.

When he has protection, he typically excels. His offensive line is horrible though. He's been sacked more than anyone else in the NCAA the last few years.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's pretty bad when I tuned into the KC/SF game and repeatedly thought "Damn...if only we had Alex Smith..."

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

he has too many flaws to be a viable 1st round pick.

cook might be our best option, but he'll require a stud OL.

11. Two Sandwiches

See, I think Hundley is a more viable 1st round quarterback than Cook.

In the end, I think they both will be taken in the first round.

I do think Cook is more O'Brien's type, though.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's too early to talk about QB's in this upcoming draft, we'll need to give it at least another month.

13. Two Sandwiches

True.

At this point last year, Blake Bortles was a second round pick at the absolute best.

14. dmoneybangbang

It seems that's the type of qb we are destined for unless we have the luck and scouting to draft or acquire the next Wilson type of qb. I don't mind us building the lines in order to be mask a qbs weakness, as it will be likely that way to win a superbowl instead of finding that gem.

All in all, I'm perfectly fine with Fitzmagik as long as we have a chance at the wildcard or division title. Otherwise, I hope BOB has the smarts to take inventory of our qbs.

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

pretty weak class IMO.

winston could be the best, but he'll probably go back to FSU.

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

there is only 1 wilson.

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I think Jeremy Lin could replace Fitzpatrick. Lin is about as good as Case Keenum.

18. AFS

AFS Member

Sure, it's extremely unlikely you'd find someone elite so late in the draft, but it's possible to find someone serviceable. Finding the next Kaepernick or Foles is at least somewhat realistic.

19. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Yep. It's hard, but possible. Unfortunately the Texans have a rich history of passing on good QB's.

20. baubo

baubo Member

Alex Smith got almost as much guaranteed money as JJ Watt this past season. I'm not sure paying Alex Smith more than Schaub money is something you want to do.

I'm all for drafting a QB myself, or trading for a backup that you think has some promise. But I would say paying huge money for a mediocre QB is the last thing I want this team to do.