1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett traded to the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketpower2, Aug 31, 2014.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Did anybody ever corroborate that story?

Agents, Panthers respond to Mallett report

Reminds me of the Hopkins pooping on the hotel bed story. Lot of smoke, no fire.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't get the outrage on this one.

Keenum sucked so we replaced him with Mallett. 7th round pick is meaningless.

We're still going to draft a QB next year. Hopefully in the 1st round.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

because any move is a bad move unless the Texans acquire all-pro talent.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

agreed..not much to get worked up for either way.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think the most shocking part of this: was Mallett really ever a legitimate consideration for 1.1?

This is the very definition of low risk/high reward. If he's just a guy, so be it - a franchise will burn *plenty* of 7s on "just a guy"s. But if he has enough talent to have been in the mix for 1.1... I mean, why not roll the dice? O'Brien obviously likes him. Seems like a no-brainer.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah. I really do not like Mallett. I would have been ticked if we traded a 2nd. A 6th? No worries there.

Unlike most here, I actually do not give BoB the benefit of the doubt. He hasn't proven much to me. But on this particular call I do give him the benefit of the doubt. If that's the guy you want, so be it. Let's see what you can squeeze out of him. If it's nothing at all, no biggie.

The only negative aspect of this is if he gets to play in 5 games, looks promising, but we have to outbid other teams to retain him going forward and sacrifice cap space for high risk stock.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Even as someone who thinks Mallett is terrible, the texans had to have someone stop-gap between Fitz and Savage. Mallett, in theory, is familiar with BOBs system and can hopefully get up to speed quickly.

Case, he just wasn't looking good and even seemed to regress.

As for the 7th rounder given up, not bad. I'm glad they didn't use their first waiver wire on Mallett.

8. Houston79Astro

Lets say last year Brady went down. Do you think the Pats would of panicked if Mallet would of become their starter? I doubt it, otherwise I'm sure they would of brought in a better backup. Just because the Pats don't want to pay a huge bag of cash to a backup, doesn't mean he is total trash. I'm sure he will at the very least be a chad Henne clone. For a 7th round pick, that's not super bad.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah I don't think people question the trade in terms of value at all. They basically got him for Keenum. People just hope BOB doesn't consider him the franchise QB.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well. . . . no more excuses for not having a vertical game
    just CHUCK IT UP THERE and lef AJ and the crew go get it

Rocket River
    an unused BIG ARM is a useless BIG ARM

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Big arm. No legs.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I'm not really outraged just don't see it helping much... Worse case scenario he earns the starter job and turn into B.O.Bs Matt Schaub.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

That would be incredible value to get a Schaub caliber QB for only a 7th round pick. If you can tell me right now that Mallett would get me 24254 Yards, 130 TD's, 80 INT's, and a QB rating of 89.8 for his stint here I would take it.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Article from a month ago on Nfl.com:

If Bill Belichick's phone starts buzzing with trade feelers, he can thank NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock for hyping backup quarterback Ryan Mallett on Monday's edition of Inside Training Camp Live.

"I was blown away today. I saw a legitimate NFL starting quarterback today backing up Tom Brady," Mayock said after Monday's scrimmage versus the Redskins. "So as the season progresses and we get closer to draft time and what the Patriots can or can't do with him, I think they drafted Jimmy Garoppolo for a reason, as an insurance policy. But trust me, Ryan Mallett's a starting quarterback in this league, and he popped today."

Although Mayock witnessed just one practice against a second-team defense, the Boston Herald's Jeff Howe confirmed that Mallett is having his best training camp this summer.

Mayock isn't alone in his assessment of Mallett as a future NFL starter.

Buccaneers All Pro defensive tackle Gerald McCoy told the Dave Dameshek Football Program this offseason that Mallett is "going to be special whoever he plays for."

"He's a Tom Brady in the making. And I really love Tom Brady," McCoy said. "I've watched (Mallett) prepare in practice over the past couple of years. And my respect for that guy went to an all-time high because I've watched."

Belichick stated in May that the Patriots are not that interested in trading Mallett.

After watching second-round draft pick Jimmy Garoppolo struggle in the first week of camp, a Super Bowl contender shouldn't feel any urgency to deal its premium-quarterback insurance.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000373945/article/mayock-pats-ryan-mallett-is-a-legitimate-starting-qb

15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

The production isn't what I'm talking about, it's the having to live through 5 or 6 years of mediocrity that I'm talking about... Sure a 7th round pick would be a great value If he turned into even an average QB but that would just set us back a couple of years.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am not usually dripping with positivity, but for some reason I think this is going to be a pleasant surprise. I vividly remember his tenure at Arkansas where he was really, really impressive. I also was surprised at his responses to questions on the Gruden QB show. When sober, he is a student of the game. Does anyone know for sure if he has "cleaned up his act" on the drug and alcohol thing? No doubt he and OBrien have already had a heart to heart...like this is your big chance don't blow it kind of thing.

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

The same mayock that said he would draft gabbert over cam newton

18. Airdough

Airdough Member

Other than last season, Schaub was a QB good enough to lead a Super Bowl contending team. It wasn't until 2011-2012 that the Texans ever had a defense good enough to support the team. Schaub was never going to be elite and there are only 4 truly elite QBs in football (Brees, Rodgers, Manning, and Brady).

Brees, Rodgers, Manning, and post spygate Brady only have three Superbowl wins between them. The last 10 years has seen QBs like Big Ben and Eli win twice along with Flacco and Wilson win one apiece. At his best, Schaub was as good as those other QBs.

You can't pin not winning a Super Bowl all on Schaub and if Mallett turns into the good Schaub at the price of a late round pick, the Texans will be well set-up for success for the next 5+ years.

19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Schaub was never leading a team to the Super Bowl and deep down we all knew that

20. baubo

baubo Member

Given the way the new wave of QB contracts work, it's likely that even if Mallet breaks out to look like a mediocre QB, he'll only get a contract that pays as you go and the team can opt out at any time. I don't know what he'll be. But he won't be blocking anyone this season, since Savage is clearly one year away from even clipboard material. So the possibilities are as follows.

If he sucks we lose a 7th rounder so who cares.
    If he's decent we lose a 6th rounder and he probably re-signs for decent money and we cut Fitzpatrick to clear up space for him.
    If he's good we lose a 6th rounder and he signs for $10+mil/yr, but minimal long term guaranteed money.

I'm okay with all the above results.