1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett Not at Practice: Personal Issue with Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bobloblaw, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The difference is that Mallett was the incumbent and he gave up money to stay here. If Mallett demands his release and is granted it, he'd be picked up almost immediately to start for the Jets. If Hoyer demands his release and is granted it, who cares? Does a team pick him up? Maybe....but not a guarantee.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't disagree, got to look out for best interests of the team ... just pointing out it's definitely ok for Mallet to be super pissed

Yeah, maybe. And we can argue the goal of making a SB vs. winning one. Obviously, the ultimate goal is to win. But for a franchise that has been to the playoffs twice and as a city has never really advanced past the 2nd round, would it still be awesome to make a SB? I'm more on your side on that one. I want rings.

I'm just still saying, it's intellectually dishonest to say elite QBs are never available, when every so often they are.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well this is kind of a two parter

1. I don't think the city or fanbase would be satisfied with a SB appearance only to be embarrassed....see 2005 Astros

2. Elite QB's becoming available is SUPER rare, like Harden getting traded type of rare. Sure they happen, but usually there's a reason for it. When Manning became available it was because he was old AND coming off of multiple neck surgeries to the point that no one even knew if he'd ever play again AND his team just drafted his replacement first overall in the draft.

I mean, things like that happen what? Once, maybe twice a generation? Drew Brees also got traded, so that would be 2 in that generation of QB's. The general rule though is that top teir QB's stay put.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think it's clear that OB didn't want any of them. Just because you have your pick of any QB you want doesn't mean any are worth taking. There have been plenty of drafts that produced no decent QBs. Rather than commit to a QB he didn't have 100% confidence in, he opted to play the waiting game. Now, that waiting game might eventually be his downfall if it goes on too long, but he's not going to fail because he invested in a QB he wasn't totally committed to.

And he just went 9-7 with Fitzpatrick. I think McNair is smart enough to know the QB market is limited and all you can really do is put yourself in a position to take advantage the opportunity when it arises. And if OB can continue to do what he did last year until that opportunity comes along, his window will be longer than 3-4 years. It's not like we went 4-12 last year without a decent QB.

True. I stand corrected.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

There was no incumbent. Mallet started 1 game and threw 18 passes last year. Yeah he had practice time.. so did Savage. An "incumbent" who gets the "rights" you're talking about is someone like schaub at the time, or even Fitzy. A legitimate, proven starter in the system.

I don't care if he gave up money to stay here. That shouldn't imapct anything. He may have given up money to stay here because *he* thought it was his best shot at putting up good #'s and making more money longterm.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, but if I'm Mallett, I demand a trade or release over that nonsense. Mallett is a starter immediately if he gets his release.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Most overused word of the day:

"Incumbent."

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Which would be stupid on his part. He's not going to automatically start somewhere else. He'd still be a backup and have to wait for injury (which you can't predict) or for the starter to falter (which is as likely to happen here as anywhere else) in order to get another shot at starting.

Bull****. He couldn't beat out Hoyer. And don't give me crap about it being Hoyer's job all along. Fact is that Mallett was not better than Hoyer through OTAs, camp, or the preseason game. What team is going to instantly make Ryan Mallet their starter?

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We're seriously talking about career backup demanding a trade

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Start immediately? No way.

Only 4 teams or so where he could challenge to start:
    ...but even then not guaranteed

Bills: Tyrod Taylor/Matt Cassel/E.J. Manuel
    Browns: Josh McCown/Johnny Manziel/Thad Lewis/Pat Devlin
    Jets: Geno Smith/Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Redskins: Ragdoll/Colt McCoy/Kirk Cousins

...and obviously here.

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Well to be fair I am leading the Texans to a 6-2 record so far in madden 16 with Mallett... So he has a case

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Yeah he will start because he will be in Canada

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Superbowl!

14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Texans should send the 7th round pick the received for Keenum back for Keenum. :cool:

15. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Looks like the Saskatchewan Roughriders could use some help. They're currently 0-8.

16. Indaface

Indaface Member

I think this might be a record...Lin had 2 weeks of good play which established the LOF's, Keenum had a couple of ok starts and 1 great half to develop the Kennumites (plus the local tie)

Mallet has had one average start and one horrid start and we already have Malletmaniacs running around this thread spouting nonsense

17. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Mallet for President!

...is this the right thread?

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I sure hope Mallet can screw his head back on after sucking his thumb today. What an entitled joker.

I don't know if the Texans can ever trust this guy again. He's basically guaranteed he won't be here next year (which is fine by me). If Mallet couldn't put any distance between himself and Hoyer, he's definitely not the long-term answer. Most of us knew that already.

I think his relationship with BOB may be broken. Not a good idea to burn bridges before the season even starts, especially when there is a 90% chance his turn would have come.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Mallet has the right to be pissed...but he should be extremely upset at himself...He had to beat out Brian Hoyer...and failed to do enough consistently to be given the reigns for the team.

20. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member