1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett Not at Practice: Personal Issue with Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bobloblaw, Aug 27, 2015.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

already tried to go through that argument. OP will not allow it as a possibility, sorry

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So Schaub was never respectable? When he led the league in passing, he wasn't respectable? When he went to the pro bowl twice (MVP once) he wasn't respectable?

Here's the brief, accurate history of Texans QBs. Carr sucked. Matt Schaub was very good for awhile and then fell off a cliff. And once they moved on from Schaub, there haven't been any good QBs available. Certainly not in free agency. Time will tell on the QBs we passed on in the 2014 draft, but you can't assume anything at this point.

You seem to think the plan is to tie our wagons to guys like Fitz and Hoyer ad infinum. In reality, it's more like there's nobody worth investing in at the position. If they throw big money at a QB (or invest highly in a rookie) then they're tied to the guy for at least 3-4 years. And if you're wrong, if you were just too eager to find somebody, ANYBODY, then you're stuck. And as a head coach, committing to the wrong QB often gets you fired after 3-4 years. So the Texans are in wait mode. They're not tied to any of their QBs. They can move on after a year if they wish. If a better option does present itself, they can take it because they haven't committed themselves to anyone at the position yet. And they haven't committed themselves because there's been no one worth committing to.

And yeah, it sucks that they don't have a QB they can move forward with at the moment. But it beats the alternative of investing a guy because you think you need to and being stuck with a mediocre QB and not having the flexibility to move on.

Please tell me who the great, excuse me, "respectable", available QBs have been? Josh McCown? Sam Bradford? It's fine to want someone better, but someone better has to be available.

Please forgive me for being logical about this. It's not complacency, it's being rational. I'm not satisfied with Hoyer/Mallett as our QBs either, I just don't see what "respectable" QBs they passed on.

You bring up Rivers, Dalton, Ryan, and Romo. Well guess what? They're still on the same teams they were last year. Every QB at that level is. Elite QBs rarely change teams. But you know what? "Respectable" QBs rarely move too.

And I hate to break it to you, but for all the hate on Schaub, Andy Dalton has never won a playoff game, including two losses to Schaub. If Schaub was never respectable, then neither is Dalton.

What the **** did you want them to do? And don't say "Derp. I dunno. Just somebody, uh, ya know, better. Derp."

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

C'mon dude. We've had chances. Especially within the past few years alone.

Mainly thru the draft. But we did pass on the big fish, Peyton Manning two years ago.

And just recently declined to trade up for Bridgewater or Garapolo (sp?).... I get it Russell Wilson was an anamoly and anyone could have had him but even in that draft we passed up on Kirk Cousins for Ben Jones, the aformentioned Russell Wilson for Devier Posey, and Brock Osweiler for Whitney Mercilus.

I could do without just about 3 of those guys if it meant having a quality QB on the roster over the likes of what we currently have.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Ben Jones, Brock Osweiler, Bridgewater, and Garrapolo could all be absolute garbage, and are certainly a hell of a far cry from the Tier 3 QBs just mentioned.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Even breifer, two words. Peyton Manning.

Done./

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What about him? I'm pretty sure the Broncos never won a SB with him just like the Texans didn't win a SB without him.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You're holding the current team responsible for Gary Kubiak's decision.

Also, hindsight is 20/20 and Manning was coming off serious neck surgery and there was serious doubt from everybody whether he'd ever be effective again. But go ahead and pretend like we deliberately passed on a guy who was obviously going to recover and continue being elite.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Which is exactly why Mallet is mad and DOES have a right to be mad.

He had an opportunity to go somewhere else, get paid meaningfully more. I'm not sure what he was told, but I doubt it was "we are going sign another career backup and see who plays better in camp and if there's a tie, we're going ot go with that new guy."

One can only assume B'OB and Smith wanted both Mallet and Hoyer on the roster and told Mallet what he wanted to hear to keep him from going to a team that was going to pay him more. And one can only assume that had those two signed Hoyer and announced him as the likely starter on that signing day, it would have impacted how the offseason played out differently.

All that said, being late or missing practice and being a crybaby about it, etc. is certainly unprofessional. And it's certainly disappointing that Mallet couldn't really beat out Hoyer.

It just all strikes me as weird. It seems as if it was kind of a tie - though not privvy to the minutiae. The new guy, with clearly less upside is chosen as the starter. But in choosing him, it is made VERY clear by the head coach and anybody with a pulse analyzing the move that it's a super short leash and there is certainly the potential and maybe even likelihood there that guy #2 will get meaningful snaps at some point as well. Doesn't inspire confidence, I'll tell you that. "here's our guy. now don't screw it up. but you probably will..."

Haha... I'm all for the SB champs or bust mentality... but the Broncos are 3/3 for the playoffs with him (compared to the Texans total history of only 2 playoff trips) and did make it 2 rounds farther in the playoffs than either the Texans or the Oilers ever have.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

2 out of those 3 haven't gotten a chance yet.

You can tab this in your bookmarked history and let me know the outcome in a year or two.

Also these are examples of guys that have more potential and upside than the guys on our roster. Obviously not comparing the 3 to the guys I mentioned before.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I cannot believe people are willing wading into a cesspool of Matt Schaub discussion, LOL.... Good luck with that, guys.......

11. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans QB Ryan Mallett showed up late to practice today and was sent home by HC Bill O’Brien, per source</p>&mdash; NFL Access (@NFL_Access) <a href="https://twitter.com/NFL_Access/status/636972510618087425">August 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I have a feeling this is the very definition of a mountain out of a molehill.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And the Texans made the playoffs twice during that time before Schaub fell off and they had to retool.....during those 3 years the Broncos lost their very first playoff game and the other they got blown out in the SB.

Given that the Broncos arguably had more talent than the Texans would have had if they had made room for Peyton, I don't see how anyone thinks the Texans would have had more success than the Broncos did with Manning.

It was a nice gamble for Denver, but it failed given that the goal was a SB win. The Broncos now look forward to a rebuild.

14. JayZ750

It's a curiosity that you think B'OB would have known this.

QB play seems more important than ever. If you are going to win defense first - eg. Seahawks - you still have to have something meaningfully better than a game manager. Wilson can have game manager type games, but on the whole we're not talking about a Trent Dilfer type QB.

You think B'OB would have known this. You think he would have known that a great QB wasn't going to just fall in his lap. So you think he would have surveyed the draft and found what he wanted, or said, not available. Texans had the #1 pick, and first pick of second round... very high picks. Could have gotten whomever they want.

I just find it curious that for a guy who is more of an offensive coach, more of a QB type coach, to take that head coaching job, knowing it's a 3-4 year window, knowing that QB is uber important and knowing in all generalities the EXACT QBs that might be available to him.

I'm just saying it's curious, given all that, that the "plan" was Fitz, Mallet, Hoyer as holdovers to... what exactly?

To be factual, Schaub only beat Dalton once. The first time it was TJ Yates. Schaub doesn't get credit for getting injured.

But certainly the aspiration shouldn't be to find the next Andy Dalton... that's not the highest bar.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Yeah I'm done.

Kinda ironic how the guy that got fired for not winning here is now coaching the player that he didn't want.

Also, no the Broncos didn't win a super bowl but at least they had a chance to play in win. Much more than we can say about our franchise.

Ok, now I'm done.

16. JayZ750

No they made the playoffs once, 2012. That was their best team ever. With Peyton Manning that was ABSOLUTELY a SB winning potential team.

The Broncos have lost 2x with Manning in the first round, AT HOME, in the playoffs. Everyone knows Manning's playoff record ain't that great.

But they still made the SB once. Yes, blown out, true.

Yeah, maybe all true. And certainly at the time, it wasn't highly argued that the Texans just had to sign Manning. But dude absolutely would have given that Texans squad a much much much much better chance of making and winning a SB in 2012. And by all accounts, the Texans had absolutely no interest.

It's intellectually dishonest to say that elite QBs are just NEVER available, when there was one available.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's probably a good thing that you be done.

Also, that Denver team isn't a SB contender anymore with that former Texans coach and that QB he didn't want. Best they can hope for is some regular season wins before a flame out in the playoffs.....pretty much what people were whining about a few years ago here.

Maybe you are jealous about Broncos fans that got to see their team absolutely embarrassed in the SB being blown out by the 3rd largest margin ever in SB history....largely because of an awful performance by their QB, but I'm not.

Can you imagine what people would have been saying about Schaub if the Texans got to the SB only to lose by 35 points and have Schaub throw 2 picks and only get into the end zone once? It would have been brutal.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

But what was the alternative? 1) Wait, they continue to be equivalent (neither is markedly better than the other), and then choose Hoyer later, giving everyone less time to prepare with an expectation? 2) Choose Mallett? "here's our guy. now don't screw it up. If you do, Hoyer is ready to go."

Either way, they have 2 guys who are very similar in skill level. Any decision at any time would be met with a similar result by 1 of the QBs and ~half the fans.

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Worse QB situation: Horns or Texans?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They wouldn't have been able to keep that team intact after making room for Manning. They'd have had to make deep cuts. Also, what difference would it have made if Manning would have choked in the postseason?