1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett Not at Practice: Personal Issue with Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bobloblaw, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Maybe they will open next week's show with that. Man that would be amazing

2. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

OMG, what world are you living in? He was a momental train wreck his last 2 years. It was almost all his fault! Pick 6 much? Fixed.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

couldn't it also have been nothing/too boring to show, or at least too boring to make the cut from probably 200 hours of footage down to 1?

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Good numbers on bad teams don't mean squat. He finally got this defense and managed to pull us to a 2-14 record just a couple seasons ago. All these excuses for Matt are out the window with his barrage of pick 6 performances that year.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Ummm, because there are no elite QBs to bring in?

1) Schaub was damned good for 4 or 5 years. Not elite, but damned good. Just because he fell off a cliff doesn't mean he was never good.

2) Why are you even mentioning backups, guys never mean to be starters? Banks? Ragone? He played in 2 games! I'm surprised you didn't mention TJ Yates or Rex Grossman or Thad Lewis. But who gives a ****? They're backups. You don't judge the QB position by who the ****ing backups are.

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Why isn't the audio or video of the press conference available online? I heard it live on the radio. There are still many people in denial about O'Brien's comments, particularly on Reddit. I guess it's due to the conflicting paraphrases of reporters.

If indeed he was late to practice and sent home it's pretty clearly a personal issue between Mallett and BOB, as stated in the conference.

7. Airdough

Airdough Member

The better question that I haven't seen asked is why did the decision have to be made now? A third preseason road game would be a better barometer as a final check on the competition. Each could play a quarter and a half or half the game even. One week of extra starters rep being split wouldn't set the team back.

I support the decision on Hoyer and hope he succeeds, just be interesting why waiting until this Sunday would have been too long.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This guy is skipping practice after speaking to the media about how upset he is that he didn't win the QB job.... and you think that would have been too boring to show?

Obviously you and I see Ryan Mallett in two different lights when it comes to his public personality.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What about good numbers on good teams? You do realize that happened too right? Schaub was one of the better QB's in the NFL for several years until injuries and age took their toll.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And the personal issue could be Mallett being ticked and BOB telling him to take a day off to cool down....

11. Airdough

Airdough Member

This coaching staff treated it as a competition from the beginning. There was never any indication given Mallet was being treated as an incumbent. If he hadn't gotten injured and led the team to 9-7, then benefit of the doubt should have gone to him but he didn't get enough time to truly establish himself as the incumbent.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Who said anything about elite? Dude let me know when we can get to respectable. F**k elite.

That's my f***in point!!!! We've had career backups at the most important position on the field.

GD you people are just so complacent. We can't even reach a Phillip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Andy Dalton, or Tony Romo level QB. Let alone elite, gtfoh with that sh**.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Who are these mysterious nameless QBs out there and available to bring in who are just as good as Phillip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Andy Dalton, or Tony Romo?

14. Airdough

Airdough Member

That defense on the 2-14 team is light years away from this defense.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pouting and showing up late to work? :grin:

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He was the last QB that won the starting job on the Texans, that makes him the incumbent. Since essentially the tie went to Hoyer (if we believe there was a legitimate QB competition) it means BOB was treating Hoyer as the incumbent despite him being the new guy. Imagine how bad things would have been if BOB had simply announced Hoyer as the starter when he was signed instead of pretending there was a QB competition?

Anyway, it doesn't matter now, the damage is done and the best we can do is hope it somehow turns out well.

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

It's all about the drama, baby. Give me quarterbacks going AWOL, drug deals and drug busts going awry, Italians whacking one another, Adibisi's little hat, Brian Williams daughter, sniglets, hooker & stripper documentaries, dragons, t*tties, Fraggle Rock.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

"Personal issue between me and Mallet" could mean that Mallet has a personal issue, and the matter is not to be shared publicly... not that his issue is with BOB.

Unless I read the wrong quote.

19. Indaface

Indaface Member

This is likely just a misinterpretation on a tweet. But i'll go ahead and laugh at all the overreactions that are due to come in because of the misleading thread title.

Especially if the OP is saying this is based on something he heard on the radio from Pancakes of all people.

20. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed, give yourself a chance to make some plays instead of settling for checkdowns all of the time. Doing a QB sneak on 3rd and 3 instead of realizing it was wrong play call and checking out of it.