1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett Not at Practice: Personal Issue with Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bobloblaw, Aug 27, 2015.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

What a waste.

Waste of time, waste of money, waste of whatever late draft pick we gave up for him.

This guy is a tool, Hoyer isn't a starting caliber QB but this guy is waaaay further down the list than him.

Can't wait to get off this mediocrity treadmill.

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

You are acting foolish. You quoted the part that was entirely me hypothesizing, so yes.

BOB said "that's something personal between Ryan and I." He followed up by saying he reserves the right to change his mind regarding whether 3 QBs will play on Sunday. This was a conference about Mallett. Why would he say that if Mallett was not disgruntled and only missing for personal reasons?

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*ouch*

Rocket River

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

What? Mallett had to outplay Hoyer to win the job? And he didn't outplay Hoyer? So he didn't get the job? Holy ****ing ****, what a ****ing travesty! He has right to be pissed. They obviously should have given him the job when he didn't outplay the guy he was competing against.

:rolleyes:

Seriously though, it was an even competition, neither QB significantly outplayed the other, and they had to pick someone. By your logic, if the situation were flipped and Mallett were given the starting job, then Hoyer should be justifiably pissed because Mallett didn't outplay him. Just because they guy you wanted to win didn't doesn't mean that there's a ****ing conspiracy.

It'd be one thing if Mallett clearly played and practiced better. But he didn't.

5. hiephopp

hiephopp Member

This is about to get ugly. Bob will be in the hot seat once hoyer sucks it. Fans will call for both their heads.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This could be really bad once Hoyer inevitably lays an egg....we might only have Savage left to turn to. The outlook on the season gets more grim by the day.

It's understandable why Mallett is pissed off, he was the incumbent and was treated like he was the new guy but BOB needs to find a way to make this better.

7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Hopefully makes for an interesting episode of Hard Knocks. Very boring so far. Only thing interesting is how fat Wilfork (wilspoon, wilknife) is and he can play a professional sport at a high level.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

[​IMG]

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

most people (myself included) seem to have enjoyed the behind the scenes look and guys like Charles James II. I suppose you're looking for drama..?

10. conquistador#11

i'm backing hoyer because with the team we have around the qb, even keenum can go 8-8, 9-7. But that's me still thinking arian foster can play 12 games.

almost 100% of the time the coach will choose safe and veteran leadership over potential, even the mad geniuses.

Big ben doesn't get to showcase himself in Maddox doesn't get hurt with a 2-1 record. That defense was so sick that they probably end up with the same record had tommy not gotten hurt, then you go into next season still under Maddox.

So I don't believe mallet flat out lost to hoyer. Hoyer just has B.O.B's trust in experience.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

How about we play a few games before we throw the entire season down the toilet and call for the coaches head?

12. Airdough

Airdough Member

Mallet wasn't an incumbent nor promised the job. He's only an injury away from starting for a team with playoff aspirations. The book on him has questioned his mental toughness and this doesn't help alleviate that. Personally, I'd like to see Savage get more reps anyway to see if he could assume top backup duties.

If the fans want a big armed upside QB, he's as good as a bet than Mallet.

13. Cannonball

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ryan Mallett showed up late to practice today. Was sent home by O’Brien is expected back to practice tomorrow. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/636957424688234497">August 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That was extremely sincere.

It's really just a waste of time overall and efforts. We keep bringing in these average to below average QBs for what? To keep running ourselves to a 9-7 record?

I'm tired of seeing this team go thru this revolving door of sh**y quarterbacks. From Carr to Tony Banks to Dave Ragone to Schaub to Rosenfels to Case Keenum to Fitzpatrick to Mallet and now to Hoyer.

Nobody on that list is worth two damns in this league, now or when they played in the league. Its really getting ridiculous especially after having a pretty repsectable rookie class of QB the draft prior to this years (2014).

We just need to get better, especially at that postion.

15. conquistador#11

i think he has another 10 years before his seat is even warm.:p

i do think the relationship is strained. You get into b.o.b's dog house for being injured and missing practices. now imagine how he must feel because a player missed practice because the player's ego was hurt.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

LOL. Texans/Mallett saw the rumors flying so had to squash it.

Was it just a coincidence that he was late? Why would he do it today instead of yesterday?

17. Cannonball

I'm pretty much done expecting or hoping for something out of Mallett. He's getting too old to describe as having "potential" or "upside". It's his 5th year in the league and if the best he can do is battle Hoyer to a tie, then I'm not optimistic about him doing anything significant in the league. Savage still has a few years before he has to put up or shut up. Mallett's already at that stage and has yet to "put up".

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Also, I was waiting for Hard Knocks to show what was being discussed in the QB room after BOB walked out.

They didn't, so I feel like it's safe to assume it wasn't pretty.

19. Airdough

Airdough Member

I get people hate Schaub, but if he had this defense backing him, the Texans would have won more games. He had top ten QB numbers for a 5 year stretch. It wasn't all bad and the losing wasn't all on him.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How was he not? He got the job last year, then got hurt, if he could have returned, he'd have been the starting QB. Hoyer was completely new to the team, yet what was called a tie went to him. Given that a lot of the difference was things that happened in OTA's and early in practice, Mallett absolutely has reason to be mad about the Micky Mouse way BOB picked a starting QB, but if he's letting that get in the way during practice or whatever, it's a real problem because at some point this season the Texans will have to turn to him to start at QB.