1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett Not at Practice: Personal Issue with Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bobloblaw, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Wow.

Ball is n Mallett's court. If he screws this up, his chance at ever starting could be over. Lose this opportunity and who will want a border line starter that can't be a professional when named backup?

Unless its something else...

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Are we sure he doesn't mean "personal [that stays] between Ryan and me" rather than "personal [issues] between Ryan and me"?

Both require interpretation and mean very different things. If he hadn't just lost the competition, people would read that and assume the former. We shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet if this is the only quote we have.. (esp. when Berman's original message doesn't mention BOB as a key player in the issue)

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Well, Berman reported it one way and Matt Musil reported it another way ("something personal between Ryan and me").

I guess it's possible that Musil misinterpreted and misreported the quote. Need more confirmation.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I kind of took it that it would stay between the two of them. While Mallett is dumb, he's still not dumb enough to ruin what is still a good opportunity by being dumb.

Not only that, but O'Brien isn't the kind of guy to take that stuff to the media. He'd probably outright cut the guy before it came to that.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

From McClain at the Chron: http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...an-mallett-misses-texans-practice/#35107101=0

Doesn't say Bob said it was a personal issue between the two. Just that 1) it was a personal issue and 2) the reason is being kept between the two of them (not that the issue itself is between the two of them).

I think Musil might've just worded his tweet poorly, and bobloblaw's thread title reflects that.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not surprised. Dude felt he deserved the starting nods and HK revealed the decision was already made in his mind.

7. kaleidosky

Yeah that's what I figured. Can we get a thread title change? It's wrong..

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Hoyer throws a couple picks in practice

Mallet: That's your starter? That's your F'ing starter?

9. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Mallett should be pissed...at himself for not taking more money from the Jets. He would have been the starter over there right now.

10. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Why? John McClain is on the radio now saying that he thinks it's a reflection of Mallett being disgruntled. BOB knew how the media would take his statement and refused to disclaim that it was not related to the starting QB job. This coming the day after Mallett was interviewed and admitted to being frustrated is curious. Also, BOB wasn't scheduled to speak with the media but did so to clarify.

Mallett is upset and I'm sure we'll hear more of this throughout the week.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

people reading way too much into this without evidence

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

So true.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You gotta wonder if, somwhere away from the watchful HBO cameras, Tom Savage is silently pumping his fist and doing a happy dance.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You just answered your own question.

15. kaleidosky

Because the title makes a declaration that the personal issue is with BOB, and nothing actually says that. It's either your interpretation or McClain's now on the radio. A hypothesis.

That's like changing a title from "Morey discussing trades: Howard for Cousins on the table" to "Morey discussing trades: wonder if Howard gets moved?" They clearly intimate different things

16. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

To add to my last post, the thread title isn't wrong. It might be misleading but BOB's interview was extremely vague. The question is still why would the coach create a controversy over this. He knew the way the media and fans would react. Is he trying to motivate Mallett by discussing this somewhat publicly?

Did you listen to the audio? He says explicitly that it's a personal issue between he and Mallett. No interpretation involved. That's like commenting on something you have no personal knowledge of.

Can you change your posts to reflect this?

17. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I think Mallet just needs to cool his head.

This is all a part of BoB's plan to light a fire under Mallet to become more consistent and come in and lead this team to a Super Bowl...(trying to be optimistic here)

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Forgot about that. Dude gave the Texans a discount and didn't even get the starting gig. I can tell now why he would be livid at BoB for not choosing him. Maybe BOB made it seem like he was going to start when he re-signed.

19. kaleidosky

That's the definition of hypothesizing..

I didn't listen to the audio. Do you have a link? I don't see it in the McClain article or in the tweets on page 1

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Hoyer was always the starter. That's the big issue here. Mallet had to really outplay Hoyer for the job and Hoyer really didn't have to do the same to Mallet. I knew Hoyer was the starter a while back when Bill O'Brien mentioned that Texans fans should be proud they have to young good hard working qbs. Why even say that crap when you already know the fans are totally behind Mallet already. Bill O'Brien has been made this decision.