1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett Not at Practice: Personal Issue with Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bobloblaw, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Since becoming a starter in 2010, the Texans are 2-13 without Arian Foster and 33-20 when he has at least one carry.</p>&mdash; Warren Sharp (@SharpFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/628629553179705345">August 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How much of that 2-14 was foster being hurt?

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Texans have the washing machine in super spin cycle. I knew they would have an excuse it just took them 24 hours to come up with it. I don't believe this at all.

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The support for Mallet has always been completely and utterly unsubstantiated. It's the classic case of people thinking that their mysterman backup is really a superstar in waiting. It happens all the time and people still fall for the nonsense. In 10 years, they will still convince themselves that all the guy needed was a chance and he could have been great. Denial is a sad thing.

Good news...now this gets Savage one step closer to starting, because he's the real superstar mysterman in waiting. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Wait what? You thought Mallett was crap and Hoyer was great?

I get the notion that Mallett maybe didn't do enough to separate himself from Hoyer who had more experience. But to say he was crappy in the preseason games and Hoyer was demonstrably better? Where in the world would you get that idea?

Mallett was 15/18 in the 2 games combined. In the first game his QB rating was 100.8. How in the world is that is that playing poorly?

In comparison Hoyer was 9/15 in the 2 games combined. Yes, he threw a TD...do you recall that play? He threw about a 15 yard pass to Shorts on a crossing pattern and Shorts threw on the speed to go for another 40 yards or so for a TD. Nice pass for sure...and he certainly gets credit for throwing a TD...but that was Shorts' play that turned it to 6.

Look, I get that BOB is more comfortable with Hoyer. But there is no way to reasonably argue that, judging from the preseason games alone, that one was better than the other. What BOB saw in workouts with guys in shorts, I have no idea. How much he just prefers working with Hoyer to Mallett, I don't know. All of those are important factors to be sure.

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

man I really thought that said Warren Sapp. I was like how is he tweeting from jail?
    Wait where is Warren Sapp?

8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Ryan Mallett be like

[​IMG]

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

One of the most important factors for the fans to expect from their sports franchise even though going through years after years failure, is hope.

Hope is the only thing to keep you motivated and survive and to believe.

This has really nothing to do with Mallets, under the current situation, if we switch him with Dave Ragone, Sage Rosenfels or even TJ Yates, some people will react the same.

That just proved deep down for those fans, how much they do not trust and like the current overall situation of the team and lack of confidence that they will just grab anything that will give them a little bit of hope.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

agreed. I'm all for hope but in a reasonable and sensible way. I hope Hoyer does well. I hoped Mallet would prove what I thought about him wrong. Hope is great but combine it with some reality

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ryan Mallett went thru practice today with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a>,1day after oversleeping &amp; missing Thursday workout. Mallett did attend meetings yesterday</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/637281026176212993">August 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

L.O.L.

He just don't give a **** now.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This type of thing is certainly common. I still vividly remember the days of vocal fans longing for the Chris Chandler, Cody Carlson and the most fun of all, Bucky Richardson.

That said, the thing here is that people are just supporting Mallet over Brian Hoyer. It's not that crazy.

Because he probably feels, probably rightly so, that he was misled into believing that if he took meaningfully less money to stay his lack of consistency when compared to someone like a Hoyer, who might be consistent, but consistently below average, wouldn't be held against him, as a guy who has barely played any meaningful minutes in the NFL.

Granted, Mallet isn't a rookie. But with regard to actual NFL playing experience, he is pretty close. I'm not saying you just let people play because they haven't done so before and might surprise you. By that logic, I should lace them up and tell coach O'Brien that my upside is out of this world if you just let me get some live game experience under my belt.

But I am saying if all else is seemingly neck and neck, and the deciding factor seems to be consistency, Mallet was behind the eight ball from the start. Which is likely not what he was told.

So he has cause to be angry at the organization. He should definitely be angry at himself and his performance, too. And the organization should definitely be doing what is in its best interests.

#194 JayZ750, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O'Brien's response to if Ryan Mallett is still in the rotation at QB:

&quot;He's still on the team&quot;</p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/637323692591071232">August 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock">@JaysonBraddock</a> isn't that what said right before Swearinger was released?</p>&mdash; Luis Santiago (@CatchingZzz) <a href="https://twitter.com/CatchingZzz/status/637326428493627392">August 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">Yes <a href="https://t.co/EjU3aXZlYc">https://t.co/EjU3aXZlYc</a></p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/637327332659752960">August 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Savage is probably better than Mallet anyway.

Let him go have his prized gig backing up Fitz in NY.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Like I said earlier, Mallet may have lost BOB's trust and is a dead player. Would be surprised if Savage doesn't start the 3rd quarter.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

How was he going to beat out Fitzpatrick when he had no OTAS, mini camp, training camp or preseason games with the Texans?

Do some y'all think about this stuff before posting on here? I mean come on you should have a great feel on how Coach go about his business by now.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Wait, you're not one of those morons who equates a QB's performance with the success of the team are you? I sure hope not.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not at all, in fact, for the most part his QB performance has been outstanding in the regular season....it just wasn't enough to matter especially when his postseason performances have put his team in a hole they weren't capable of digging out of. There's no reason to think that adding Manning to the Texans would have gotten the team any farther (or even as far) into the playoffs than the Broncos made it.

The Texans would be no better off, and most likely worse off right now had they gone the Manning route.