1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett named the Texans starting quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JonRetro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

OB hoping Mallet turns into Flacco.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Meh.

At least this can avoid the team resigning the guy in the offseason.

Mallet might just make Bill have to draft a QB in the first next draft.

3. mario_v

mario_v Member

Did you see the colts O-line before and after manning missed the 2011 season? They looked great with manning and looked like **** with painter and orlovski under center.

Sometimes a good qb makes all the difference.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

I bet they do. The team definitely needed a "spark." Mallet is more fiery, stronger arm, bigger. I am up for whatever except "more of the same."

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Cannon for an arm, eh? Remember when "Da munchies" Russell threw that football 70 yards from one knee? That really worked out well for the Raiders because they had themselves a guy with a "cannon for an arm". As for giving up on the season, I'd have given Fitz one more game but it is what it is. I didn't expect them to be a playoff team anyway so this move really does nothing to alter my view of this being a rebuild/reassess year.

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Ryan Mallett will earn the "Texas Hammer" nickname against the Browns. I'm accepting rep in anticipation of this catching on.

1 person likes this.
  7. HillBoy

Folks seem to overlook that this line was built to run Kubiak's ZBS and does not really fit BoB's system yet. That will come in one, maybe two more drafts.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Mallett might be a little bit more accurate than JaMarcus Russell, but he's just as dumb and while he doesn't have the physique of a walrus, you'd never know it by watching him in the pocket. I hope the kid surprises me, I just don't expect it. If nothing else it'll change the scapegoat from Fitz to Mallett.

9. HillBoy

I believe that was going to happen regardless of who started at QB this year.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Cant believe you said that??? hoping you are joking...

In regards to the OLine...cant deny that they have regressed on passing down protection, but quite a few sacks were on Fitz...just holding onto the ball way too long.

Here are more advantages to Mallet:
    -He's taller(at 6'7) and basically towers over his line...allowing for better vision of routes down the field, harder to tackle/bring down for sacks and less likely for batted balls at the LOS...
    -He's been in this system his entire career at New England...his understanding of routes and progressions might actually be more advanced.
    -Brings a new set of eyes to the position, and allows us to evaluate our receiving core more accurately.
    -His passes will have heat on it
    -He is essentially playing for a contract/starting gig. This is his only chance he will ever get to prove his worth as a starting QB...That it self is huge motivation to go perform.

Time will tell...but to write him off without real game film is overly dismissive...
    Some obvious questions...
    -Is he accurate, and can he help the offense find more of a rhythm on passing downs
    -Is he smart in the pocket--> knowing when to step up within the pocket(awareness), reading multiple disguised coverages, limiting turnover risks, clock management, and the ability to execute a given play call quickly and proficiently.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a good point, the only 2 guys we have with the size and strength to run anything but the ZBS is Brooks and XSF, at one point I'd have included Duane Brown but he's struggled a lot this season.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Did anyone else follow Mallet at Arkansas? He flashed some serious skills. I was very impressed with his body of work. In the NFL he was stuck in NE behind Brady, was going nowhere. I think he wanted out and after they got the G-man they let him out. I predict that he is going to surprise. Just like Case, I wish him the best. He has waited a long time for this. Shine baby shine.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm expecting at least 2 INTs.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

because Fitz cannot throw a ball more than 5-9 yards. Mallett can. Common sense would indicate you make a switch because he offers something different than Fitz.

15. 713

713 Member

Why did they bench Fitzpatrick? He was just starting to play better. I don't get it.

16. HillBoy

The backup QB is always the most popular guy on the team especially when said team is not doing much to excite the fanbase. I say, bring back Bucky Richardson!

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"WHO'S GONNA GET RYAN MALLETT A SCANTRON?"

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

Omg, funny stuff right there, alot more elusive when talking about Brady and Manning. Just glad you dont have to defend Fitzy any longer, it was a hard fought yet losing attempt.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Also one more thing to mention...at the preseason, BOB showed something quite unique...he custom fit the offense to the given QB he had under center. This bye week is perfect to help revamp and focus on the protection changes that will be need for Mallet to have time to throw. BOB knows he isnt the fast guy on the planet...and he will make the appropriate changes. Mallet will be prepared going into the game. Its what he will do in the game that he has to show...I personally think that he will rise up to the challenge.

1 person likes this.
  20. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I thought the quote was: "Who gotta a scantron for ya wigga Ryan Mallet?" (censored)