1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett close to being a Texan...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Progs, May 8, 2014.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>For those wanting to know what the comp for Mallett is <a href="https://twitter.com/tomecurran">@tomecurran</a> said on 610 it will be a 5 thru 7th rounder</p>&mdash; Texan Takeover (@texantakeover) <a href="https://twitter.com/texantakeover/statuses/464523500061868032">May 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Remii

Remii Member

You said you wanted Johnny or Clowney. They still may draft and keep Clowney so what's the problem...?

I don't believe the Texans should draft Clowney or Mack. But the draft is more than just one pick so they may can make up for that mistake if they go for one of them.

3. solodolo

solodolo Member

3rd Rounder ? Smh

4. Raven

Raven Member

My worst fear is that he plays just good enough to get a multi year contract (in a season with an easier schedule) and then goes right into the toilet the following year once teams get enough game tape on him and the new offense.

5. Breaker

Breaker Member

5h-7th rounder imbecile

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

A 5 for Mallett would be a steal. Still plan on taking a QB early and then have them fight it out for the job. Don't give Mallett that extension until he proves himself.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Jeesh, everybody here is freaking out over a late round pick, hate the Texans mode in full effect LOL

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I f ' ing hate Ryan Mallett, but if they could get him for a 6th, and not lock him in to an extension, I'm down.

He could come here and party like a rock star for a year, and when he flames out, we could draft a real QB next year.

Just don't trade for him and sign him to an Aaron Hernandez contract, that locks you in for a monster cap hit when you have to cut him.

9. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Id take Mallett with a 5th, in a heartbeat actually

10. DwightHoward13

I say make the trade. I don't like Bortles anyway.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I would hope this is the case. See what QB's are available in the 2nd before you pull the trigger on trading for one.

It depends. If they're trading for Mallett, it's reasonable to expect him to sign a contract extension. No sense trading for a guy like that with only a year left on his deal. Because if he's good, then he could easily sign a contract elsewhere and bolt, leaving you in the same position next season.The contract he signs has bearing on whether I'm fine with it or not. If it's a low round pick and and a fairly cheap contract, great. If it's a healthy contract, I'd rather pass. Or at least see what QBs are available when we pick before pulling the trigger. I think you can do that. I don't think it's a hot market for Mallett. You don't have to do the deal before the draft. You could do it after the first round when you can see what QBs, if any, are available at #33.

I'm fine with Mallett over guys like Mettenberger, Garoppolo, Savage, McCarron, Murray, etc. . . from a talent perspective, but if he signs an extension, he'll probably be making more money than any of them will on their rookie contract. And I don't have enough confidence in him to basically tie ourselves to him for the next few years. At least if one of the rookies suck, it's easier to digest the mistake.

And if Bridgewater or (gasp) Manziel managed to fall to the 2nd round, I'd put my eggs in that basket and probably pass on the Mallett trade. Which is why I'd wait to pull the trigger until after the first round.

12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I hope Tom Brady gets injured. I have a feeling Belichick will find a better QB that Mallett for the value.

13. basketballholic

Read between the lines here guys.

Why would the Pats be willing to trade Mallet for a 5-7 round pick?

Because they drafted a QB (Bridgewater or Manziell) that fell in the first round.

14. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

we got a 6th for Schaub. essentially trading Schaub for mallet

15. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

People talk about the connection between BOB and Mallett the time they were able to spend together. Saying "If O'Brien trusts him, I can stand behind it." is foolish. If Bill freaking Belichick is willing to let go of Mallett for a mere 5th rounder, there must not be much to this guy's ability.

16. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

It could be that he would rather take a 5th for him than watch him walk after next season and get nothing at all in return.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>So the Texans are trying to trade for Ryan Mallett. That will give them four backup QBs, no starting QB, on their roster. Good luck.</p>&mdash; Charean Williams (@NFLCharean) <a href="https://twitter.com/NFLCharean/statuses/464532209907826688">May 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . . . . . . .. .

Rocket River
    QB by committee?

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

QB by committee, heh.

Yeah, surely one of them will carry on the Texans high standard of QB play!