1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Fitzpatrick starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by htownhustla, Jun 17, 2014.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zL1gUjIf79s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

close, he got older and more fragile!

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, one season dealing with injury and he's "fragile" all of a sudden. Knees jerk hard around these parts.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The upgrades in run blocking and a playbook not as stale as Kubiak's became have me feeling good that our run game won't be dreadful this year. Even if Foster doesn't bounce back, there are other guys that can step in and get your 4 ypc.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Fitz...will not be the Texans QB by the end of the season. I personally think he won't be the QB at the start of the season.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am with you. I expect that Kennum will impress in pre season. With a better supporting cast and a better playbook, he might really shine. The other possibility is that Case won't even be here if the Texans bring in another vet. Preseason will decide the issue.

#66 solid, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Who are those guys?

Rocket River

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yea. . . I really want to see SOMETHING out of all of them in the preseason
    IMO . . . I want to see them 'make the throws'
    Maybe move a little. . . .

Rocket River

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You again presume a first round draft pick is the only way to get a great long-term QB. Sure, the ones with talent get drafted early... but more often than not, the ones that are declared "reaches" (those drafted in the mid to late first rounds) usually don't go on to have tremendous franchise-changing success.

Statistical analysis tells us there are just as many playoff non-first round pick QB's as there are first round pick QB's. Sure, some of them were picked in the first round and changed teams... doing nothing currently for the team that drafted them. Hell, the growing trend of more first round QB busts, while having success stories coming from the 2nd round or later in subsequent years could be shifting the entire paradigm.

Lastly, again, if they thought any of this year's QB's were potential franchise QB's, they would have taken him... hell, if they thought there was one in the late first round, they likely would have traded up to get them.

Do you think there were any QB's they passed on that they shouldn't have? I guess the Patriots swooped in on Garropolo, who was the only one BOB looked like he really liked.

10. Remii

Remii Member

With Fitzpatrick as the quarterback who is not an accurate passer past 15 yards teams will load the box... And if AJ doesn't show up _ teams will really load the box. And Foster isn't a thumper you can keep running into a wall like Lynch.

Both our head coach and quarterback coach/OC learned under O'leary (he's their mentor) and O'leary has complete faith in Blake Bortles and that's who I believe O'Brien wanted. That's who I think the Texans were trying to trade the #1 overall pick and get but couldn't justify drafting Blake #1 overall over the 3 sack hype machine Clowney (who's already hurt).

Just because the Texans didn't draft a quarterback early _ it doesn't mean there wasn't one worth taking. But maybe Savage will end up being a franchise quarterback... Fingers crossed.

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

The hope is that when they do load the box O 'B lets his qb audible into a quick slant,screen etc, not standing on the sidelines with a thumb up his rear calling the same lame bs. Thats the hope.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is that true about Fitz's accuracy?
    If so . . .we in for a long season

we *have* to stretch the field

Rocket River

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, Fitz is very accurate with short passes not accurate on intermediate to long passes. For him to have success here (if he holds on to the starting gig) we'll need to treat him like Alex Smith and limit what we expect from him. Also, he'll have to find a way to be safe with the ball, which isn't really something he's good at.

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Like many, I have no faith in Fitzpatrick. Rather, I think Case Keenum
    will earn the starting QB position, almost by default. CK will have an vastly improved offensive line rather than the sieve that allowed defenses to pour through. Xavier what's-his-name could easily have been a first rounder and should bolster the All-Pros that were injured last year. In other words, Case will have time to throw rather than run for his life. With that time he is an accurate passer -- short, intermediate or long. Also, AJ has been forthright in saying he likes CK as quarterback.

Savage may win the job next year or the year after, but right now I am inclined to put my money on CK to get us to the playoff promised land.

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

You think the Texans are going to sign a QB that is better than Fitz before the start of the season?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They probably think that Keenum will beat him out of the job in camp and in the pre-season games, it's certainly possible.

17. Remii

Remii Member

From my understanding O'Brien has already named Fitzpatrick the starting quarterback which means it is no longer an open competition for the quarterback position. The starter should get the majority of the snaps during camp especially when learning a new system. CK and Savage will be competing for the #2 spot getting their snaps in with the other backups.

CK would be in Atlanta if they had wanted him. Most new coaches have no allegiances to the previous head coach's quarterback if he is unproven. I think Savage is the teacher's pet and he'll be 1st on deck to be under center if the Texans aren't making a push for the playoffs with Fitzpatrick this season.

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I can't argue with any of your statements except the Atlanta choice. However, even though O'Brien has named Fitzpatrick the starter, that may change by the season opener. I'm still betting on Keenum to unseat Fitzpatrick and tame the Savage beast.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . . we won't be 'patriots south'
    Because it does not sound like Fitzpatrick can run a 'brady offense'
    Brady does go down field a bit. He threads a few needles.

Since we cannot rely on Fitzpatrick to do that . . ..
    what are we on offense. . . . 3 yrds and a cloud of dust
    Heavy reliance on Arian and the backs?
    Dink and Dump down the field?

Hoping out Defense can keep everyone under 17 pts a game?

Rocket River

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We will run a lot of the Patriots sets but you are right no qb on this roster is nowhere close to being the next Tom Brady.

Fitzpatrick will go down the field a lot too just not as accurate as Tom. We will also utilize the TE's a lot in this offensive schemes.