1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Fitzpatrick starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by htownhustla, Jun 17, 2014.

1. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Fitzpatrick pls.

2. Win

Win Contributing Member

So much for the "open competition". I'm sure Bob has a plan with naming Fitzpatrick and Newton starters before training camp starts. Whatever it is, I hope it works.

3. Major

Major Member

Sure - sometimes. Sometimes, you can also win with a backup QB you pick up from the Arena league who turns into a hall of famer (Kurt Warner) - but it's still a bad idea to count on that. Most times, when you settle for low-level QBs, you end up spinning your wheels - and even worse, you end up really inconsistent year to year which makes it impossible to effectively build a team.

Joe Flacco, it's worth noting, was a 1st round pick that they finally went and used on a QB after flopping year after year looking for a cheaper QB to win with their all-time great defense. (Oddly, they finally won without the great defense but on the back of Flacco.) But I'm suggesting the Texans (and fans) could easily go the route that Baltimore did *before* Flacco when they just tried to win with a bunch of random guys thinking their defense would just carry them. Franchises do that all the time - our own Fitz signing the deal with Buffalo is an example of that.

#1 problem for this team is a QB. Until that is solved, they simply won't have consistent success. Fitz is unlikely to be the answer. If they draft a rookie next year, it's doubtful they win anything with him in his first year. So they are looking at 2016 at the earliest for a true SB run, at which point a lot of the veteran talent currently on the team will be gone or aging, so all sorts of new holes will have popped up. Spinning wheels.

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

A Rockets fan pulls for the Rockets when they are on the court, if you live in Texas and you were pulling for the Heat to beat the Spurs? Then I just feel sorry for your pathetic existence! Rock On Spurs!!!

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

^ dont ask me how this ended up in here!! Geesh.

6. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Man, reading comments and junk on ESPN... we're the laughingstock of the NFL.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, that would be the Jags, and the Browns, and the Raiders, and the Jets.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The correct answer is you root for NO ONE other than the Rockets. Do you root for the Cowboys in the playoffs?

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Why are the jets in that category?? Raiders , jags, and browns I understand.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why wouldn't they be? That's been a clown car of a franchise for a while now.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

2 trips to the title game recently. We can't laugh at anyone right now.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Mallet will be our franchise QB. As soon as he becomes a FA BOB and the Texans will be calling him up. We will win 8 games this season, so we can stop dreaming about drafting a franchise QB. I think we will grab a stud WR because Dre Day won't be Texan after this season.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

No we are to Bobbythegreat. Going into that season we were picked to rep the AFC in the Super Bowl, win our division and everything. But you know how that turned out, " a big a__ joke. So yes sir a lot of fans and players from other teams are laughing at us.

14. Asian Sensation

Time for some Fitzmagick. Houston sure does love the ex Harvard stars.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

None of the QB's this year were worthy of anything higher than a mid-round first pick.

I'm pretty sure Bortles was not on your pre-approved list of "clear franchise QB".

I actually think teams realize that too much importance/weight is being put on the QB position... there are just as many playoff teams with non first round QB's/acquired QB's as first round QB's they actually drafted (including 3 of the last 4 SB finalists, along with both "model" franchises of today's NFL -- the Seahawks and 49ers).

Teams took a stand this year (other than Jacksonville) and simply didn't take a QB high just to take a QB.

Sure, every now and then you get a supreme QB prospect that you can't pass up... that isn't anything "new" to the NFL, that's been the case ever since the draft started (from Bradshaw to Elway to Aikman to now Newton/Luck). What was "new" was all the Christian Ponders, Blaine Gabberts, Jake Lockers, EJ Manuels, Ryan Tannehills, Brandon Weedens, Vince Youngs, Matt Leinerts, Mark Sanchezs and David Carrs that were all drafted in the first round simply because of the position they played. Word is still out on Sam Bradford and Alex Smith. There hasn't been a great QB draft since 2004 (Eli-Rivers-Ben) and even then, Eli and Ben are fizzling out after tremendous starts to their careers, and are anything but locks for the HOF.

Far more teams "waste" first round picks doing just as you describe... trying to get a "clear" franchise QB. Just because one is drafted in the first round, doesn't automatically turn him into a savior, and I applaud the Texans for not reaching for any of these guys, where none of them are guaranteed to do anything more than Tom Savage.

#35 Nick, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The truth is all Fitz has to do is "manage" the game and run BOB's system. If the defense is top notch and the running game returns that's 8-8 right there. He has historically been a turnover machine and that will have to change but with his smarts and good coaching, he might make the right pre-snap reads and that's half the way to good enough.

Some guy above laughed at my statement that Coach BOB has 3 years, but a new coach coming to a 2-14 is not expected to turn it around overnight. BOB is known as a quarterback coach so if we draft one of the 4 franchise QB's next year, our conservative ownership will give him the time to develop him. Even Savage might be considered a 3 year project, all the praise to the media about him could be foreshadowing. If we were 3-7 I could see him starting the rest of the season over Keenum.

17. Remii

Remii Member

Historically Fitzpatrick is dumb as h377 on the gridiron... But he would be my #1 draft pick in a fantasy spelling league.

I agree with the 2nd half of your statement.

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

Oh no, as soon as the season is over for the Texans I refuse to watch any playoff games. :)

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Yep, football isn't literary criticism . It's pattern recognition and anticipation/choice/reaction, then physical execution. If there was a good way to measure that there wouldn't be so many first round QB busts.

20. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Super bowl bound!