1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ryan Bernardoni] Kings could be setting up to take Ryan Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jul 18, 2018.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Per this thread speculation:

Sacramento in: Ryno, 2 first rounders (OKC), 1 2nd rounder (Houston)

OKC in: Sac expiring contracts, cap space

Houston in: Melo

kjayp and mockster like this.
  2. Mr. Space City

dumping ryan anderson would be the next best thing to winning a championship

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't know NBA trade rules very well, don't we have to take back salary within a certain range to do the trade? If so, are you suggesting Melo gets traded from OKC to SAC and then SAC to HOU?

vince likes this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So Rockets Jr. bout to come through for us again?

5. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not understanding the linear question. 3 team trades happen all the time in NBA.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycac599q

#106 D-rock, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  7. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

If Sac absorbs Ryno's contract into cap space, it is not true we get nothing out of the trade. We also get a $20 million trade exception (TPE) that can be used in a trade for someone (or someones) that make up to that amount. With a $20m TPE, the Rockets for example could trade for Kent Bazemore ($17 million?) without needing to match salary.

I am hoping the Rockets do something along these lines. I am not sold on Ennis as our primary wing defender (and I want to keep PJ at the 4).

8. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

This might be the most likely play. It would mean Houston is betting on a longer term fit with melo as the only reason to do this is to secure his bird rights and to keep him beyond next year. Otherwise it'd make more sense to get him on the cheap after a buyout.

I think it still takes a 1st from Houston though but at least this would move Ryno out with only 1 1st.

I see this move being a big bet on melo though

raining threes likes this.
  9. lionaire

lionaire Member

Good point that a lot of people, including myself, have overlooked.

Wouldn't mind someone dumping on us if it means getting a guy that could contribute. And since we'd be doing the other team a favor by accepting their dump, its possible a deal gets done without us losing 1st round picks.

Relativist likes this.
  10. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Not sure what this has to do with this thread
    ... but I dont hate it. The peoples champ

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

because if you have a good owner that is willing to spend money then you want that to continue... if he wastes a lot of money and doesn't get a return on his investment... he will stop spending money so readily...

Giving Ariza 15M would have made fans happy - but paying that sum would be stupid...
    DM prob coulda pushed to retain Ariza for 15M... but he figures its highly unlikely that Ariza is gonna live up to that contract...
    it wouldn't have cost us cap space (as we're already over the cap), Ariza will certainly be better than the 15th guy on our roster, we might've been able to use that 15M contract in a trade later in the year... but it's still not a wise expenditure...
    I'm sure Morey considered pushing to retain Ariza - but decided that would not be a good move financially for the organization (ie Tilman)

I want an owner who will spend the money when warranted - but I would never expect the owner to spend money foolishly...

Plowman likes this.
  12. mockster

mockster Member

When your biggest move of the off-season was dumping a player for no return lol

htxaf likes this.
  13. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

What’s going on here? Is it happening??

14. j@amc

j@amc Member

If the Rockets actually clear out Anderson, add Carmelo—and all the Rockets are out is picks—then Morey is a genius. That would free up a roster space that would be very, very valuable with our growing young bigs.

15. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Am I the only poster that thinks that trading Ryno and signing Melo can be mutually exclusive from one another!? Give Sac our 2019 first and be done with it. Or just do the Bazemore swap that has been discussed ad nauseum...

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

What's funny as I read through this thread, Ryno would be the perfect PF for Westbrook in OKC. He wouldn't steal his rebounds, get in his way in the lane, and could add to his assist total with corner 3s. Get'er done Morey. Nah, I know that won't happen for all of the aforementioned capologists assessments, but Ryno to SAC would be poetic justice.

I'm for wisely investing Tilman's money in the right areas. For instance, I'm not sure buying the 2nd for Edwards was a great investment as opposed to signing Deng Adel and Tre Duval as UDFAs. So if I could package Edwards with Ryno and a 2019 1st for some expirings (Shumpert/Koufas work) that can still fill a role on the bench during a long season or could help at the trade deadline then I think that makes a lot of sense.

With that said, that seems too easy for Morey. He's usually playing Russian-level chess while we fantasize over something that makes sense to us.

What do I know, watch Edwards turn into the next Morey super pick.

Red Chocolate and D-rock like this.
  17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The point is : all these players don't suck AT THE TIME WHEN MOREY WANTED THEM, but they ALL SUCK now.

So using the point that Morey "wanted" them before is pointless.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Would've liked ONE of Ariza OR Luc too though.

Decent offseason regardless with Melo and no Anderson.

Relativist likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree. My preference would be to send Ryno to Hornets for Batum and 2nd round pick then sign Melo to vet min after OKC forced to stretch and waive. Also trade pick, Nene and Vince Edward's for WCS.

Rockets get 2 starters in this scenario plus security if Capela signs QO.

forchette49 likes this.
  20. UrbanEnterprise

Anderson in my opinion still has value for the Rockets for the regular season. I feel like he can still contribute towards our #1 seed.

Losing him, I do believe we get worse during the season. I also take into account how much was his back hurting him.

Yes he's not worth his contract but he was still valuable for us during certain stretches in the season.

Who fills that role?

JVL713 likes this.