1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan, Bagwell and Rocket set for camp.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ryan17wagner, Jan 29, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Two of the Astros' biggest stars from the past will be helping mold some possible stars of the future when the Nolan Ryan Elite Pitching and Jeff Bagwell Elite Hitting Camps begin Monday at Minute Maid Park.

The camp, which began solely for pitchers two years ago, will feature most of the Astros' top minor league prospects, as well as major leaguers Chris Burke, Jason Lane, Brad Lidge and Chris Sampson.

Ryan and Bagwell, both special assistants to general manager Tim Purpura, will direct the five-day camp with manager Phil Garner. Ryan is scheduled to participate despite having been hospitalized Friday with an undisclosed ailment.

Helping assist with the camp will be new Astros pitching coach Dave Wallace, hitting coach Sean Berry, minor league field coordinator Tom Wiedenbauer and director of pitching development Dewey Robinson. Roger Clemens is expected to be involved.

"Each year you can see more and more the effect it has on the players that go (to the camp)," Purpura said. "Confidence levels and comfort levels increase. You look at guys that have been in the camp and get back here at some point in the season, and they come in with a different point of view.

"They know how to get to the clubhouse. They know how to get to the field. They've thrown off the mound, and the hitters know where the cages are. It gives them a real look at what it's going to be like to compete in that atmosphere."

Purpura said although the stands are empty and the camp is not open to the public, having Ryan, Bagwell and Clemens watching the players does ratchet up the intensity.

"That's pressure right there," Purpura said.

Among the minor leaguers scheduled to participate are infielders Koby Clemens and Tommy Manzella, catcher Max Sapp, outfielder Hunter Pence and pitchers Troy Patton and Brian Bogusevic.

Pitchers will throw today, Wednesday and Friday and will work on fielding drills Tuesday and Thursday.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4506550.html

2. Buck Turgidson

Full list of invitees:

RHPs:
    Matt Albers
    Tip Fairchild
    Lincoln Holdzkom
    Casey Hudspeth
    Brad James
    Bud Norris
    Sergio Perez
    Chad Reineke

LHPs:
    Brian Bogusevic
    Troy Patton
    Chris Salamida

Catchers:
    Ralphie Henriquez
    Lou Santangelo
    Max Sapp
    J.R. Towles

Infielders:
    Brooks Conrad
    Koby Clemens
    Chris Johnson
    Tommy Manzella

Outfielders:
    Josh Flores
    Eli Iorg
    Hunter Pence
    Mike Rodriguez

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

they invited season ticket holders to watch today...wish i could get out of the office

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he was attending a Yankees pre-season camp, it would be breaking news on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, and ESPN.com.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

so freaking true.

6. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

true that

7. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Well he doesnt live in NY so obviously yea. I would find it big news too....

8. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i hope this works

[​IMG]

9. msn

msn Member

10. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I want that hat! I'll contact my inside people tomorrow.

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

that hat looks terrible

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

No sh*t...

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Not to mention he didn't play for NY last year.

14. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

It's better than that gansta all texans or rockets black hat you have...dawg.

15. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

All my hats look good, just remember me when "your people" hook you up with Astros playoff tickets because you know I can get extras for you come playoff basketball time in my section.