1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Anderson's defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Ryno on defense is pretty simple: He knows his reaction time and his feet are slow. So he tries to compensate with focus and effort. He'll never have the defensive talent of quicker guys, but (and basically because of that) he'll often outwork them.

The downside of this combination is that he has no deterrent power. Attackers will try moves on him that they wouldn't try on, say, Tucker or Ariza. But the upside is that attackers will often underestimate him, and end up blowing a shot because they were counting on an open look and are surprised to find a hand in their face.

fryjol7, felixng2012, dje243 and 5 others like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME observation

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

NAILED IT

Mazulis likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Or maybe its the Andrea Bargnani Effect, they know Anderson is a white unathletic dude who is averse to contact so they try do moves they shouldn't be doing. Its not that Anderson is keeping up with all the opponents he faces its that the opponents become to aggressive and end up taking wild shots cuz they think it will go in because Anderson is guarding them.

Pen15clubber and hakeem94 like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

nice thinking there, its similar to how harden gets away with plenty of stuff because he looks fat

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cold-blooded

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  8. mikeshinoda

mikeshinoda Member

I might be wrong but same effect seems to happen every time Zhou Qi’s on the court, which to me, is fun to watch.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Wasn't this also the case for some 3 point shooter some years ago? Was it Korver? Maybe Jason Kapono. Guys got greedy when they saw he was guarding them, so they'd play outside their normal game and would become more inefficient than usual.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. fattz

fattz Member

I must say he is playing up to if no better than contract. He is better than most and i am glad to see him in Rocket red this year vs other players mentioned in the offseason. The no trade was the best trade so far. I am enjoying being wrong and hope to stay wrong about the over paid Anderson contract being just dead cap space. He did hustle last year but it didn’t matter his efforts are paying off this year though. RA please keep making a fool of me.

#71 fattz, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    BigMaloe, Mazulis and hakeem94 like this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Ryan is playing the exact same solid defense that we said DMo did. He's just not as tall. He's rebounding as well as DMo, too.

I'm firmly in Zach Lowe's corner on this ... he continues to play bizarrely solid defense.

I'd also like to say that Zach Lowe continues to provide bizarrely solid rockets coverage, as well.

#72 heypartner, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    fryjol7, BigMaloe and hakeem94 like this.
  13. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Pretty unbelievable, and I never thought I’d say this, but Ryan Anderson has been playing really good defense.

:eek::eek::eek:

Mazulis likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He did get more lean over the off-season. Definitely helped with his conditioning and agility to keep up with more athletic bigs.

15. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Anderson rebounding has been way better too.

16. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

This has been Ryno's best defensive season in years. Not particularly impressive, but he's hovering around average to mediocre. Hardly the time to pile on the guy for bad defense. He's been OK.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

rebounding is a part of defense

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

19. dje243

dje243 Member

Morey has to have a stat for this already... You basically track opponents' number of "bad shots" when guarded by a player and combine it with their average on those shots. If they take more bad shots and their average on those shots stays the same or decreases then you have some kind of deceptive defense metric and/or bad defensive rep quotient. I really hope that's a thing that I just am ignorant about.