1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Anderson makes $18.74 million

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Pride, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I don't even need stats to tell me that the team is much more dangerous when he's on the floor. Of course he has pitfalls as a player, that's why he's not a super-max guy in this environment. However, the things he does well are EXACTLY what we've needed from the 4 spot for a very long time. I'm not sure what people were expecting from him, but so far, I think both the Anderson and Gordon signings have been homeruns.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

One good thing: Ariza doesn't have to play PF anymore.

Ryno may not be worth that much but he does improve our rebounding relative to last year

3. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Rhyno makes it simple for Harden. It used to be Terrence/Smoove/Beasley standing at the wing and corner and they would never get respected. Harden would pass them the ball when they were open and it turned into a brick or they'd try to take their guy 1 on 1. Beasley was at least deadly from mid range so he could do something with it if he had time to step inside, however, that could give the defenders enough time to recover. Ryno can be 3 feet beyond the 3 pt line and still drain them.

Anderson requires a big body (PFs whos job it is rebound, block shots and help on D) to be outside guarding him, making room for Harden when he plays his game. If he runs the P&R they can't cheat off him. Ariza is not as consistent, from 3 (except from the corners), he is not a good roller to the basket because no one respects his mid range game (they respect Anderson enough so he has some moves). Ariza isn't strong enough to keep 4s off the glass AND putting Ariza at the 4 means you trade a good wing defender for a below average post defender and poor rebounding in a position where rebounding is important. Anderson is an underrated rebounder for a stretch 4.

4. dmoneybangbang

Agreed. Even better is that Anderson isn't even in the corners (a higher %), we can stick someone else who needs a higher % shot which opens the floor more.

#144 dmoneybangbang, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    DonKnock likes this.
  5. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

6. Rocket_ph

Rocket_ph Member

in my mind he had only 3 good games with us this year... most of time he struggles this is time when you miss DMo if ever he decided to comeback?

roslolian likes this.
  7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

The problem is that he is an ideal bench player but here he is starting. He will look so much better coming off the bench but we don't have that privilege yet

roslolian and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He's such a streak shooter . The percentages even out because when he's on he's literally unstoppable and has insane range ..... But he missed like 3 wide open 3's in the first few minutes of the game. Our offense is doing such a great job to get him those shots and he's just bricking them .

Hopefully he can get a little bit better at doing some other things when his shot isn't falling because Dekker and gasp Brewer looked better than he had the last few games .

I've gotta bring up Dmo , he would be helping us a lot in stretches where ryno is off .

I fully expect Anderson to have some nights where he is just on fire , but he isn't having enough of those to (in my mind) balance out the fact that he blows wide open shots and is doing his best impression of a midget in the paint.

9. mightybosstone

I'm hoping this is just a bad stretch for Anderson. His range offensively is still a huge help for Harden and co. offensively in terms of floor spacing, even on his off nights. But when you consider how bad he is on defense, he needs to be contributing a hell of a lot more than he is on the other end of the floor for the money that he's making.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Don't know how he ended up with more money than Gordon. Should've signed him at the same amount, but sometimes you have to pay up.

roslolian likes this.
  11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think he's been ring paid too much but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value or doesn't help the team. I wish he had one other great skill so when his shot wasn't falling he could greatly help the team out in another way.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sometimes people exaggerate on CF, I've ragged on this guy a lot but others have also defended him excessively and glossed over his shortcomings.

I mean this recent game he shot 20% from the 3 and only had 4 rebs! He was so bad he got outplayed by Brewer yet are you still gonna excuse his behavior and say he was worth every penny of his 20M salary just because he can shoot 3s, which he didnt even do this game! Can you at least acknowledge he's been crap for 3 games now?

For me the real benefit to the Anderson signing has been Eric Gordon, the guy is clearly the biggest steal of the FA and his salary is peanuts compared to what he's producing.

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

thats5 of his last 6 games he shot below 40%. and still rarely bangs it in the post. hope his true game comes around sooner than later now thats its close to 15 games in.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think for the more advanced fan they see that Anderson on the floor gives Harden much more room to operate.

That's why this team is going to be dangerous offensively.

FANfrom86toNow and macho GRANDE like this.
  15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if thats why then they should've saved 20m and moved ariza to pf. he shoots 3s and gives harden a lot of room. start kj or brewer at 3. or harden and eg and bev at the guards.

maybe use that 20m to get a starting sf who can strech the floor too.

for now im content bu tnot satisfied with ryan. ou have to overpay for stretch bigs

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

But if he doesn't get that shooting percentage up how long will that last? Scouting reports will adjust.

17. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Eric Gordon has been a better get, but Anderson opens the floor and is harder to get these types of players from the PF position.

Capela also stepping up. And Bev is back.
    All is good. Now we just need DMo or someone for him

18. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

If his next 5 to 7 games are this bad, then I would start to worry 20 games in. But if he bounces back those same 5 to 7 games and is averaging over 40% 3 pt shooting and still getting 7 boards, that's why we paid him 20 million, and I doubt that Morey and company expected much more than that.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He's shooting over 42% from 3.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is he really? It seems like he's been shooting just awful lately.