1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Rutgers Freshman commits suicide b/c roomate streamed sexual encounter online...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Uprising, Sep 30, 2010.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

There's a huge difference. I know the effects of robbing a bank. You steal the bank's money. Videotaping someone, you don't expect that person to kill themselves. They will probably be first time offenders who videotaped two guys kissing and showed their friends. I can't imagine a judge giving them 5 years, though they may feel like there needs to be an example set.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You sound like a very responsible dad. I have a close friend whose sisters are lets say very hot but who growing up were very naive, they still wanted to go trick or treating when they were 14. I urged my friend to talk to her sisters about all the pitfalls regarding alcohol and guys awaiting them in college because her parents sure weren't. She couldn't bring herself to do it because of how awkward it would've been.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

No, you're putting the blame on the wrong person.

Yeah, it'd be great if that kid was mature enough not to kill himself and handle being publicly humiliated with more grace... but I'm going to put a little more blame and a LOT more expectations for maturity on the jackass who humiliated him.

Yeah, at the end of the day, it was the kid's own decision to end his life, but wanting to kill yourself after being publicly outed in a humiliating fashion is NOT as immature as being the person who actually provokes the behavior.

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

well if he was already self-outed, then i guess i would agree that its not suicide-worthy imo....but im not the guy who got videod

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Wow, only a couple trolls so far in this thread trying to get attention. Good job clutchfans, this forum polices itself better then most.

6. juicystream

I agree that there's nothing funny about it. And I agree that we shouldn't laugh at situations like these. I just think I would have.

I would hope that being "gay" would fade as you get older. Not that you wouldn't be homosexual, but rather that people would become more accepting of it.

7. juicystream

He didn't self-out. His roommate had outed him previously to the videotaping. Granted I don't know if they guy knew he had already been outed.

8. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

PISCATAWAY, N.J. – The death of a Rutgers University freshman stirred outrage and remorse on campus from classmates who wished they could have stopped the teen from jumping off a bridge last week after a recording of him having a sexual encounter with a man was broadcast online.
    "Had he been in bed with a woman, this would not have happened," said Lauren Felton, 21, of Warren. "He wouldn't have been outed via an online broadcast and his privacy would have been respected and he might still have his life."
    Gay rights groups say Tyler Clementi's suicide makes him a national example of a problem they are increasingly working to combat: young people who kill themselves after being tormented over their sexuality.
    A lawyer for Clementi's family confirmed Wednesday that he had jumped off the George Washington Bridge last week. Police recovered a man's body Wednesday afternoon in the Hudson River just north of the bridge, and authorities were trying to determine if it was Clementi's.
    [Video: Suicide highlights troubling problem]
    The lawyer has not responded to requests for comment on whether Clementi was open about his sexual orientation.
    Clementi's roommate, Dhraun Ravi, and fellow Rutgers freshman Molly Wei, both 18, have been charged with invading Clementi's privacy. Middlesex County prosecutors say the pair used a webcam to surreptitiously transmit a live image of Clementi having sex on Sept. 19 and that Ravi tried to webcast a second encounter on Sept. 21, the day before Clementi's suicide.
    A lawyer for Ravi, of Plainsboro, did not immediately return a message seeking comment. It was unclear whether Wei, of Princeton, had retained a lawyer.
    Collecting or viewing sexual images without consent is a fourth-degree crime. Transmitting them is a third-degree crime with a maximum prison term of five years.
    ABC News and The Star-Ledger of Newark reported that Clementi left on his Facebook page on Sept. 22 a note that read: "Jumping off the gw bridge sorry." On Wednesday, his Facebook page was accessible only to friends.
    Even if the young violinist from Ridgewood was not well known at his new school, his death stirred outrage.
    "The notion that video of Tyler doing what he was doing can be considered a spectacle is just heinous," said Jordan Gochman, 19, of Jackson, who didn't know Clementi. "It's intolerant, it's upsetting, it makes it seem that being gay is something that is wrong and can be considered laughable."
    Other students who did know Clement were upset that they didn't do more to help him. "I wish I could have been more of an ally," said Georges Richa, a freshman from New Brunswick.
    About 100 people gathered Wednesday night for a vigil on campus. They lay on the ground and chanted slogans like, "We're here, we're queer, we're not going home."
    Several gay rights groups linked Clementi's death to the troubling phenomenon of young people committing suicide after being harassed over their sexuality.
    On Tuesday, a 13-year-old California boy died nine days after classmates found him hanging from a tree. Authorities say other teens had taunted the boy, Seth Walsh of Tehachapi, for being gay.
    Steven Goldstein, chairman of Garden State Equality, said in a statement that his group considers Clementi's death a hate crime.
    "We are heartbroken over the tragic loss of a young man who, by all accounts, was brilliant, talented and kind," Goldstein said. "And we are sickened that anyone in our society, such as the students allegedly responsible for making the surreptitious video, might consider destroying others' lives as a sport."
    [Photos: 'Don't ask, don't tell' policy]
    Last week, Dan Savage, a columnist at the Seattle weekly newspaper The Stranger, launched the latest of several efforts to try to stem the problem: the It Gets Better Project, a YouTube channel where gay, lesbian and bisexual adults share the turmoil they experienced when they were younger — and that their lives are better now.
    In response to Clementi's death and other incidents, the group Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays said it would issue a "call to action" on the subject on Thursday.
    Rutgers University President Richard McCormick wrote in a letter to the campus, "If the charges are true, these actions gravely violate the university's standards of decency and humanity." Coincidentally, the university on Wednesday was launching a new two-year Project Civility, designed to get students thinking about how they treat others.
    Meanwhile, for some of Clementi's new classmates, the first time they learned much about him was when they got word of his death.
    "I guess the only person I haven't talked to is Tyler 'cause he's like really quiet and shy," said Justin Lee, a freshman from Princeton who lives on Clementi's hall.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100930/ap_on_re_us/us_student_taped_sex_24

9. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

What's the penalty for posting a video of that nature online?
    It's horrible that he killed himself, to go that route shows extreme humiliation and fear.
    But, with that said, he was the one who decided to kill himself. His choice.
    So how serious are the consequences for the two individuals? I'm sure everyone around them will be brutal. Time to transfer.

10. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

It's okay to be gay.

As anyone else would be, I hope he was more embarrassed about his intimacy being exposed rather than his sexual orientation.

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Im no legal eagle but I have to think that one of these days, the supreme court may decide to charge and try people for murder who commit these acts

12. foo82

foo82 Member

The fact he died is irrelevant to the case. The two are charged with 2 coutns of invasion of privacy. Most likely neither are going to see jail time and will be on probation.

13. juicystream

Up to 5 years prison.

The university should expel them.

14. SunsRocketsfan

i dunno.. all signs point that Indian guy is a closet Gay

15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

University should expel them both. Guy should get a year and a very long and strict probation after, including sensitivity classes. Girl should get long, strict probation and sensitivity classes.

My instinct is to throw the book at them both, but as ****ty as their actions were I don't think they knew what they were doing. But the guy needs to feel some pain, so I think a year in the slammer would be good. It would have a significant impact on his life and he needs to suffer some for what he did.

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Like you said, you're just being honest. Fair enough.

Yeah. I hope so too.

Goddamit that freekin "we were only freshmen" song is in my head now. Gah!

17. SunsRocketsfan

Im with you.. this story is just real crappy all around. They definitely deseve some punishment but i think they were just two bone headed college students who didnt really understand the imapct of their actions.. Indian guy seems like he was craving attention at college.. The girl I think just went along with it which she shouldn't have. .

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Sending him to prison right now might be letting him get off too easy.

Can you imagine showing your face on that campus, or in that community, if you did that?

He's about to endure something much worse than butt-rape in the slammer... he's going to be treated like dogs*** everywhere he goes for a good while.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Just to play devil's advocate, that picture wasn't taken without her consent. The feed of this guy and his friend was. Big difference.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly, I cannot find fault with Rutgers here.
    I don't know what you can do to make sure that roommates are 'compatible'
    also . . .it is about learning to work with people not like you
    Segregating the roommate situation . .. i don't think will help too too much
    with that

Rocket River