1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russell WestBRICK

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets4lf, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Asian Sensation

Nope. But as a loyal Westbrick hater before and after becoming a Rocket I didn’t think he could possibly shoot worse than ever. He’s on pace to set career low shooting percentages in our “offense friendly” system.

BeBreezy likes this.
  2. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

BeBreezy likes this.
  3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Was watching at the gym and as soon as I saw him going for that three....let’s just say I would of been surprised if it went in....

DaDakota likes this.
  4. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

I actually liked how he played tonight. Very few mid-range jumpers, and the few he did take were ~10-12 feet away and in rhythm. I don't hate that.

However, the real issue here is that he really can't shoot. A high usage guard shooting 67% FT and 22% from the 3-PT is not going to cut it. Even with all of his flaws in terms of shot selection...if he was anywhere close to an average shooter these issues wouldn't be nearly as glaring. Unfortunately, that's not the case and I'm not sure if things will change going forward.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, hoped he was traded East and be East Brick before the trade here.

6. bmelo

bmelo Member

He has like 9 dislocated fingers give brother a break

7. blackistan

blackistan Member

This is precisely why @Clutch was not in favor of this trade at all

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

he takes way too many threes...people get mad whenever he takes midrange jumpers, but he hits those more consistently...I’d prefer he cut out the threes and was strictly a 15 feet and in player

his threes never look good...they look like bricks the second the ball leaves his hand

he’s shooting 22% from 3 on 6 attempts a game...that’s disgusting, and somebody who’s that bad at shooting them shouldn’t be taking so many

Westbrook shoots 65% from 0-3 feet, 35% from 3-10, and 40% from 10-16 feet...I’m more than good with 15 feet and in for Westbrook taking mostly layups and midrange...his three is absolutely broken

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm actually surprised w/ the 65% rate on close shots b/c it seems like he misses a ton of layups

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People need to quit hating already. Russ might not be a great shooter, but he will give us more assists and rebounds than CP3 and Beverley ever gave us on a nightly basis.

I do agree he needs to take less 3's but even James was shooting worse from the arc early in the season and taking more than twice as many 3's..

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  11. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

CP3 would've made the right play.

DaDakota likes this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Most space he’s ever had! Best shooters! He’ll be great!

BeBreezy, YOLO and Asian Sensation like this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

this focus on simple things like rebounds and assist or beating his man off the dribble makes me so sad.
    He chews up so many possessions with his bad outcomes.

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not gonna hate on him. This is a Rockets fan forum. You can look for the bad but you won't enjoy the games as much as me. Go Russ! Go Rockets!

jcmoon likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

he’s been missing a lot lately, but earlier in the season his percentage at the rim was astronomically high...it’s been coming down, but he’s still right around his career high from 0-3 feet

if he would just focus on 15 ft and in, it would do him a lot of good...those threes have no chance, his misses are horrendous...at some point u have to have the awareness to realize your shot is broke from deep and stop jacking up so many...dude ain’t Harden where it was only a matter of time before he started hitting

16. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

The positive: Harden is playing the freest and happiest I've seen from him alongside Russ. And it's coinciding with the best play of his career. I think the biggest thing is how dominant he's been in the clutch...he's just looks completely locked in.

The negative: Russ can't shoot threes. I really don't have a problem with him shooting them early and in the middle of games...but he CAN'T be shooting them in clutch situations. He just can't. Drives and mid-range pullups are the only things that should be allowed from him with the game in the balance.

They've got time to figure it out though and a good stretch of not too difficult games the next 10 or so.

BHannes2BHonest and ak99999 like this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

at the end of last season he told reporters he was going to come back with an improved J in order to prove all the haters wrong

but it's worse than ever now

dude looks like larry smith on the perimeter smh

ak99999 likes this.
  18. BigBum

BigBum Member

Post of the Year.

ak99999 likes this.
  19. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

PatBev mocking Westbrook's shot. Ive got to admit this was pretty funny.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

he can’t even manage to shoot 70% from the line anymore when he used to be over 80% from there every year

16-17: 85%
    17-18: 74%
    18-19: 66%
    19-20: 69%

Man, what on earth has happened to this dude’s shot? He was never a good shooter, but he would have quite a few stretches where his shot would be reliable, and he was always money at the line. What is going on now?

Deuce likes this.