1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russ Mid-Range w/ D'Antoni System

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theoldblood, Jul 12, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm suggesting he's a bad shooter but if he's going to shoot poorly I'd rather him shoot 3s than long 2s.

In my ideal world he wouldn't shoot any pull-up shots at all. He'd attack the basket and shoot catch and shoot 3s only. Anything else would be the result of shot clock forcing him to take shots. Just no dribble and pull-up shots like he loves so much.

However, my ideal isn't going to happen because that's not who Westbrook is. Nobody is ever going to convince him to stop shooting pull-up shots. He thinks he's good at them. He's said as much. So, given that, absolutely 100% I'd rather him take them from 3 so the extra point adds up.

The conversation was about whether we should encourage him to stop taking mid range jumpers. The theory was we should let him keep taking them because it's his bread and butter. I find that outrageous. I mean in reality we aren't going to change him but if you COULD then you should absolutely WANT to.

It's like a self injurious mental patient. You can't stop them from banging their head but no doctor would ever say "let them do it it's what they like."