1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rush Limbaugh says fiction character "James Bond" can't be black

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by leroy, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Major

Major Member

You said "The James Bond franchise has gotten pretty stale". If the last Bond movie was amongst the most successful ever, how has it gotten stale?

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

No he doesn't want to be Bond anymore. He's more like Bale with Batman and less Johnny Depp and POTC.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was talking about before they re-energized it with Daniel Craig, now that he's gone, it's back to square one.....unless

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really could care less what Rush Limbaugh has to say so his opinion doesn't change my view either way.

I'm neutral about the idea of casting Idris Elba as the next Bond. I do think having some fealty to the original source material is valuable but James Bond has gone through so many permutations including some really silly and over the top ones that it's not really the character Ian Fleming came up with.

One thing that might be good though is if the retcon James Bond so that "James Bond" isn't so much the character's real name as a code name for a particular MI6 agent. That would also explain why the World's greatest secret agent always tells people his name.

1 person likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As an Asian though I do enjoy the handwringing though of white people over having traditionally white characters suddenly being portrayed by black actors. Consider how many roles that were historically meant for Asians have been played by white actors. I mean John Wayne played Genghis Khan and David Carradine played Kwai Chang Caine in Kung Fu. A role that had been created by Bruce Lee.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Neither of those is an accurate observation.

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Isn't that what 007 is? The identity that can be assigned to any agent. They could have a character that isn't James Bond become 007.

Or just have Idris Elba play James Bond and if people can't handle it they can sit at home at b**** on the internet.

8. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

BaylorBear09!!!!

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

take anything that bobby says with a grain of salt but prepare for high blood pressure.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Can't we make the racists and non-racists happy by meeting in the middle and calling him Jerome Bond from Compton, CA? After that we can have Juan Bondero and so on?

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

And to balance the scales we can have Channing Tatum carry the baton previously held by Vin Diesel and Ice Cube by playing XXX?

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

The potential urbanization of Ian Fleming's most sacred fictional character is disturbing me (and my twenty-four successful black friends).

2 people like this.
  13. downbytheriver

Plenty of small time and unheard of British actors who can pull it off. No need to go for the unrealistic gimmick .. but then again that's exactly what the industry has become.

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

ive been a fan of bond movies for most of my life...ive seen them all and i could not care less if they brought in a black dude...just give us a good movie. i would agree that it has to be a brit or scot though.

pierce brosnan probably had "the look" more than any other, but those were s***y movies.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I read the novels many years ago and still have a vivid memory of seeing Dr. No when it came out, so one might say that I have some interest in this topic. I think casting Bond as a Black Brit would simply be absurd. It would be like casting a flick a decade from now about the rise of Barack Obama and having the President portrayed by a White actor. Give me a freakin' break.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

My understanding is being "00" is a rank / title so "007" isn't his codename but more like a rank and identifying number.

Anyway having Elba as James Bond will require retconning no matter what but with how many times James Bond has been retconned I don't think that is really much of a big deal.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think Timothy Dalton looked the most like the Ian Fleming James Bond. A dark haired guy who didn't look typically handsome and even slightly menacing. His movies were even worse than the Brosnan ones and I had heard he didn't have much interest in playing James Bond.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Speaking of the look while Daniel Craig has done a great job playing James Bond Eric Bana looks more like what James Bond should be and since they were both in Munich has the acting chops to pull of the darker conflicted James Bond.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure that the idea of an Aussie Bond would go over so well in the UK....then again who cares what they think?

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think that would be a waste of Bana's talent and emotional range, I'd sooner pick Clive Owen.