1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumors on Next-gen PlayStation/Xbox

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 18, 2013.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Starting a rumor thread since things are heating up lately, and seems like there was some interest in it in other threads. BTW, Durango = Xbox, Orbis = Playstation.

I'll start it off with this Eurogamer/Digital Foundry article on tech specs (they seem pretty sure of this all, and they have a decent reputation):
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-orbis-unmasked-what-to-expect-from-next-gen-console
    If you're not a big on specs, basically both consoles should be pretty powerful, though not quite cutting edge (they will be pretty cutting edge in terms of high performance and low energy usage though). Seems like both will be very similar in terms of performance (even using the same/similar components). The Xbox appears to be more geared towards OS functionality (possibly some ties to Windows 8), and that might hurt performance slightly (though in exchange for some nice OS stuff). Not sure it really means much in the end though, especially depending on the "mystery" components.

#1 RC Cola, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

didn't read that post but all I know is dat the xbox 720 gonna be hella dope!

3. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Playstation all the way

4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Will i be able to **** it?

1 person likes this.
  5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Ill buy the xbox 720 to play video games and Ill buy the PS4 to watch movies.

Wait, I'll be able to watch movies on the xbox...okay, no PS4 needed then.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I hope the new systems will play old games and upscale them to 1080P. It's interesting to read about the new stuff coming out, but I feel like i'm several years away from buying a new console.

7. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

**** that, I'll just build a gaming HTPC that does all of that.

1 person likes this.
  8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

My understanding is that next gen's focus will be towards reaching stable 60fps.

9. RC Cola

Wouldn't count on this, especially for the PlayStation. Major architecture differences between generations, and not really huge increases in power to make emulation easy. The next Xbox might do it if MS cares enough (and if they had a good platform with the 360...which they probably did).

Cloud gaming solutions might allow gamers to play older games on these new systems, but not sure if the new boxes will do so like consoles in the past.

Hahahahhahahah.

We'll be lucky if they focus on a stable 30fps.

edit: On second thought, maybe most games would be playable at a stable 60fps. In 480p (or worse).

#9 RC Cola, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  10. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

It's not gonna look as well as let's say Crysis 2 for Xbox either. COD runs at 60fps on console and that game is ugly as hell. I'm over here trying to achieve 120fps at 1080p on most games on my PC.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: Atari will release their new system:

EXCLUSIVE ClutchFans' Animated GIF:
    [​IMG]

:grin: I miss OUTLAW.

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

PC Gaming >>>>>>> Console Gaming

Only reason I play console games are because:
    A. Not a lot of mods or hacks
    B. To play with my friends (who all own xboxs)
    C. Xbox live chat
    D. Achievements
    E. Playing online is a lot more fun on consoles then PC (from my experience)

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Will I still be able to play Castle Crashers?

14. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Pretty much this. Since the next Xbox will have bluray, the choice is obvious for me. Currently have only a ps3.

15. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

New Xbox announcement at E3 this year.

16. Awesome

Awesome Member

January 24th

17. RC Cola

Wouldn't be surprised if there was something sooner.

Maybe not this soon though. I'm assuming you posted this because MS is having an event this day. While possible, might be more likely that the event is for their tablets/Windows 8 (think Surface Pro should launch around then).

I've seen rumors about both being revealed in the next "few weeks." Not sure those are really believable (though could see some reasoning for doing it before/by/at GDC). Though definitely think we'll have something by E3.

Given that one or both might launch by the end of the year, revealing it at E3 might be too late. Seems like you'd like to reveal it early (show off some things, but not everything), then use E3 (or other events) to let people play it. If they reveal it at E3, then either gamers (in NA) may not be able to play it before it launched, or they'll be revealing it later than they had to.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Long post from a guy on Reddit on the new Playstation...

I am privy to information that is under NDA and I can't share specific details but I will detail my thoughts to maybe give an idea of what I've seen and where I think they are going with this. At this moment in time I happen to know more about Durango than Orbis. I wrote a few pieces on a developers forum and since I don't have a lot to do I decided to copy and paste and rewrite some parts of it for Reddit. This is going to be long but somebody might like it. I'll break it down into sections so I don't put too many off.

full post

19. Hak34

Hak34 Member

This is the most important part of that post.

Sony and Microsoft's apparent strategy for next-gen consoles:

Last thing I want to say about this is that it seems like Microsoft and Sony are taking different approaches. Microsoft are going with slower DDR RAM but more of it, they seem to be "saving" a lot of RAM for OS functions, in other words it looks like Microsoft have some sort of plans, maybe Kinect 2.0 or something. Sony on the other hand went with less RAM but it is faster GDDR RAM and Sony are also seemingly spending more money on the GPU. In other words the way it looks the PS4 will be engineered to be a pure gaming machine with more power, the 720 will fall in between the PS4 and Wii U in terms of power. It's interesting though because Microsoft are intent on saving a lot of money on memory and GPU from the looks of it and then they allocate a lot of RAM for some sort of software function. I'm thinking maybe it might actually be true that Kinect 2.0 is going to ship with all 720's, I thought it would be too expensive but considering how much they would save by going for slower RAM and a lower powered GPU and the fact that they are allocating a huge 3GB to software functions Kinect 2.0 makes sense. I have to confess I am a little disappointed with Microsoft's direction and I like the fact that Sony are so intent on lavishing every penny on making it a monster console. The two consoles from the looks of it should cost around the same but a lot of the money for the 720 will seemingly go to Kinect 2.0 while Sony will invest all that money in faster RAM and a more powerful GPU.

20. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

console gaming will never die..

because PC gaming is just too damn hard for most of us