1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rumors]Nintendo to announce new system, 'significantly more powerful than the PS3'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Coach AI, Apr 14, 2011.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

makes sense. the wii was always behind the others, however, what they lacked in horsepower they were able to make significant cash flow while offering a cost effective home systime all the while dominating the handlheld market.

the wii's shorter life span wasnt always a negative. If the competition is on a 10 year cycle with their systems (360/ps3), then nintendo put themselves in a great position to offer something new years before the others could. This obviously limits the market for the latest and greatest out on the market

it probably/more than likely wont be better than the other systems. But if it's competitive they have the niche market to do well ...and cost effectively.

2. liljojo

liljojo Member

I'm ready to have my mind blown.

I really hope they get this right, because I'm ready for Nintendo to take back the belt of console gaming. I love my Wii, but I'm ready for some 1080p, dangit!

On another note, how expensive are these controllers going to be? HD screens? That seems excessive. We'll see.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Those consults are ancient a 30 dollar graphics cars has more power.

4. worzel gummidge

1. New controller needs to have the ability to sense squeezing/grip for a better Punchout experience.

2. The console needs a new Punchout game with Mike Tyson in it.

5. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I wouldn't think small HD screens would be that expensive now. We have large 3D tvs that are about $500 bucks, can't see why they couldn't get something pretty cheaply made. Then again I doubt they would put it on a controller. It would be the giant Dreamcast controller all over again.

6. Marteen

Marteen Member

I'm looking forward to seeing what it is since I'm a Wii-owner. But it seems kind of dumb of trying to make a console that's "more powerful than PS3 or Xbox360", because wouldn't those companies just come out with consoles better than their old ones. And then Wii will try to make another system years later that will be more powerful than those.

7. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

If it has Super Smash Bros available, I am down.

8. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Well that's what I'm curious about. If Sony and MS are going to stick to their 'long lifespan' claims this time around, then new system being more powerful than them is a little more interesting. Because otherwise everyone is right; it *should* be more powerful than systems that are 5-6 years old.

But if they (Sony and MS) are going to stick around with those for another 2, 3, 4 years...well then this is a much different type of move.

It'll be interesting to see, if this is true, whether or not Sony or MS start leaking a little bit more about their future plans.

9. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

im not that guy. i havent played killzone so i dont know. im just looking forward to the destructive buildings.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yep, Nintendo has been historically good at pricing and gauging interest. They made a little profit on the Wii at launch. This time might be different if they want a big lead, but they have many options like selling the storage medium separately or making a modular controller to force people to buy each component piecemeal. Little annoying "Apple-like" things that are worth the investment to its devoted slaves, but cheapens the idea of a complete or "perfect" system like what Sony tried to do with the PS2 and PS3.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What's better? Coming out first - you get grade A ports of all multiplatformers. Or being last and having the most powerful system?

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why do they need the latest and greatest processing power and graphics hardware if they're just going to make kiddie, cartoon games?

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Given how long the previous generation of consoles were relevant, I'd have to assume last.

14. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Does it come with a tracking device, in case some African American steals it.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

recapture the hardcore market? Nintendo needs to focus on the casuals cause the hardcore market is already locked in to ps3/360/pc imo

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Because whenever Nintendo releases a new console, there's a group of vocal zealots who have hit puberty or adulthood during that timespan and thinks that Nintendo should make games for them with their changing tastes, but mistakenly rationalize that it's the "hardware limitations" that is holding Nintendo's software back. "Shiggy would totally kill on the 360!" "Metroid on the PS3 would sell like hotcakes!"

What they don't realize is that the serious games Nintendo does pretty well also stands out more because of its rarity in selection, and the culture there hasn't changed much to encourage design for games like GTA, Mass Effect, or Dead Space.

Maybe this time will be different now that good hardware is a lot cheaper. But the other hurdle is the dev costs for making such a game. 120 million for GTA4. 25 million for Mass Effect 2.

I don't trust Nintendo's blabber about encouraging third parties either. As long as their games are selling like hotcakes, they prefer to take their ball home whenever they feel like if given the option.

Do you like your cartoons cell shaded?

17. A00man

A00man Member

Seeing what Nintendo has done with Wii and then the 3DS, I have full faith in them coming out with something awesome that's going to be really unique.

HD Zelda is finally getting closer!

18. liljojo

liljojo Member

Because kiddie, cartoon games look so much more awesome in 1080p.

19. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I find it interesting that so many in this thread are taking the "significantly more powerful than PS3 and 360" claim lightly. Should a system that is released now be more powerful than two that were released 5-6 years ago? Yes, I think so too. But this is Nintendo we're talking about.

The Wii is generally considered slightly more powerful than the PS2 and in some ways less powerful than the original XBOX, which both came out 5-6 years earlier. To me, this marks a shift in Nintendo's philosophy - and I like it.

20. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

The maker of each respective console isn't the only one who develops games for said console.

With the Wii being behind the others in tech, devs aren't going to spend the resources to bother to create a separate version with the same amount of money behind it as was spent on the HD versions - even though the system itself sold like crazy. Nintendo will develop it's own in house stuff regardless; but the system lacks any of the high profile multiplatform games of the HD systems. I'd imagine they are trying to close that gap, though if it happens who knows.