1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Rockets-Hawks Finalizing Draft Day Deal?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Outlier, Jun 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is the best deal I have seen....although the Portland deal intrigued me because of the chance of Miles turning it around and us unloading Howard.

DD

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If the Bobcats take Roy at #3, maybe we tell the Hawks to take Rudy Gay at #4 and still do the trade. :D

3. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I agree wholeheartedly with you. Luther is not bad, and Whoever we get at 8 shouldn't be that bad either.

I think we should concetrate getting more depth.

4. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

honestly i'll take either deal as long as we get Roy.

5. rserina

rserina Member

Honestly, I still don't see what Roy brings that Brewer does not. Roy's perimeter shot was not even average until his senior season (shot 35% on only 20 attempts as a junior from the college arc). He is smooth as can be with the ball, has a good mid-range game, plays intelligtently, calmly, and under control, and is big enough to defend longer wings, but can't all that be said about Brewer? And if Brewer is available at #8, he also gives us a better athlete with about teh same skill set plus no concerns about the knee.

I would cry about the Rox selecting Roy, but it doesn't seem worth trading Head.

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

The question really is will the Rox be better by adding Roy and losing Head (Atlanta deal)

OR

by adding, say, Brewer (10) and Cedric Simmons (12) and JR Smith (New Orleans deal)

It's hard to say (and it's nice to have two good selections to choose from) but I fear that we are robbing our rotation of too much "talent."

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

That's what I was thinking. I can't think of scenario I wouldn't take with this deal. I'd trade Luther and the 8th for any one of the Big 6 in this draft. With the #5 you will have your choice between at least two. I know a lot of you wouldn't do this deal for Tyrus Thomas, but I would.

I would show Thomas tapes of Bill Hanzlik on Sampson and tell him to sic'em
    on Stoudemire, Nowitzki and Duncan.

#107 Dubious, Jun 26, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  8. Nero

Nero Member

Ok, let's assume this pipe-dream scenario comes true. Next step to consider is, what next?

First, taking into account the addition of Roy, the subtraction of Luther, and our remaining team needs, who do we then draft at #32?

Second, this still leaves the potential for dealing with Seattle for their #10. What would we have to give up then in order to get their pick as well? Future, lotto-protected #1? Hopefully we will be picking much lower in the next few years, so would that be a decent trade-off?

As for question #1: I have not seen a lot of people mention it, but I think a guy like Bobby Jones at #32 would be excellent, especially considering the already-existing chemistry between he and Roy. The guy is supposed to be every bit the lock-down defender that Brewer is. The Rox will have to think long-term on this pick, because there is still the Mike James and/or V-Span issue to consider. But JVG has also said he wants a range-shooting 4, which means heavy consideration for Novak or Pitz. Who should we take there?

Second: Even if we pick up Roy at 5, essentially, we could pull an absolute coup if we could steal Seattle's pick and nab Redick in this draft as well. What would be reasonable to give up for that? What would it take to pry the pick from the Sonics? This trade with Atlanta has Morey written all over it - so is he done, or do we make the biggest *SPLASH* in this draft? Do the numbers say we will be picking in the mid-20's for the next half-dozen years, therefore making a future #1 an acceptible price to pay for picking up the best shooter to come out of college in a decade? Does Seattle have any lousy contracts they would want to dump on us, to facilitate such a move? How much is too much to pay?

9. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

if there is a way to get the deal done without involving head, this would be great.

jhoward, please just leave!

10. Diaw

Diaw Member

swift + unprotected 2008 (2007 is supposed to be a great draft year) 1st round pick for #10+earl watson ??? watson has a long contract and is stuck behind ridnour, and they need big bodies inside because fortson wants out ...
    not too stupid o hope lol

11. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Thats why they do these trades on draft day. If Roy goes #3 then the trade is off and they pick Sheldon if they want him. I don't want to give up Head for an unknown with posible knee problems. I do want to draft Roy I'm just not as sure as everyone that he is worth all that.

Head has good rookie numbers and could very posibly turn into a Jason Terry type player for us.

12. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.nwherald.com/SportsSection/pro/295849449474172.php

Agent says he knows who will draft Aldridge, Roy

[published on Mon, Jun 26, 2006]

NBA agent Arn Tellem might know something about the Bulls' plans for Wednesday's draft.

Tellem represents Texas big man LaMarcus Aldridge and Washington guard Brandon Roy, both of whom are considerations for the Bulls with the No. 2 pick in the draft.

Tellem pulled both Aldridge and Roy out of workouts last week with the Charlotte Bobcats, indicating both players have promises from teams at the top of the draft.

That move has led to speculation that the Toronto Raptors at No. 1 and the Bulls at No. 2 have pledged to draft Aldridge and Roy, respectively.

"I know where they're going," Tellem said Sunday.

But Tellem said that did not mean Aldridge and Roy would be the first two picks. The agent said the teams that made the promises might be below the Bobcats, who have the third pick, in the draft order.

"I've never gotten worked up about the number of where one of our clients goes," Tellem said. "It's really all about finding a good fit."

The Bulls might be the team that wants Aldridge, with a team such as the Houston Rockets seeking to trade up and draft Roy.

The Bulls also might not be involved at all in the promises to Tellem's clients.

General manager John Paxson said late last week the team had not decided which player it wanted to draft and would need the weekend to sift through information and talk over options as a group.

And none of the above scenarios includes LSU forward Tyrus Thomas, a player in whom the Bulls have shown strong interest from the start of the scouting process.

"We obviously need size," Paxson said. "Maybe more importantly, we need length and athleticism. There are guys at the top of this draft that will give you those things."

The 6-foot-11 Aldridge certainly would give the Bulls size, but Paxson said none of the top prospects is more athletic than the 6-8 Thomas.

"He's the most gifted athlete in the draft," Paxson said. "There's no doubt about that."

13. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

I don't think head is required to seal the deal - probably a handshake is enough.

14. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

nicely done.

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

So we're drafting Tyrus, signing MJ and Padgett, and will try to trade away Juwon at any cost, even if we get nothing in return...now let's make sure Yao and Tracy are healthy and it's a good offseason.

16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Man, the Rockets are really busting their asses to get Roy, this is awesome.

17. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

It is not just about losing Luther Head as a player. It is about losing depth, youth and athelicism for a cheap rookie contract.

Roy better be damn worth it and injury free.

Some people always compare Luther Head and Roy and think we are getting an upgrade and are happy, which we are. But we are also losing #8.

Roy could slip to #8, but if we do not play our cards right we will be losing Head.

18. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

I absolutely belive this is the case. If we can make the deal happen it will be either Roy or if not, Rudy Gay. I love the fact that Roy didn't work out for Jordan and co. in Charlotte. I would imagine that was the work of Arn Tellem.

I also like the fact that Tellem gets guys drafted in the spots they want. Out of all the teams in this top group, where would somebody rather go than the Rockets. Play with 2 superstars, chance to compete for a title.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You never can tell if a player will be worth it, or injury free. All you can do is go off your projections and draft the player you think will fit the best. Everything projected from Roy fits our needs like a Micheal Jackson glove.

And I highly doubt Roy would fall to #8.

By the way, the Roy profile was the most viewed profile this week on draftexpress (738 times). Y'all need to stop going to give that site a break (as I peep the profile again). :)

20. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

I hardly believe the article about the Bulls has any truth. I heard Colangelo with Rome, and they didn't seem to excited about LaMarcus, all signs point to Bargnani at #1. I also don't see the Bulls being interested in Roy, already having Gordon and Hinrich, not to mention Deng, Duhon, Nocioni. They have guards and swingmen in place. I see Aldridge going there. I think there could be 2 scenarios.

What scares me about making a deal with the Hawks is that it will be tough for Roy to slip past both Charlotte and Portland. It's possible that Gay and Roy could slip, then we would probably stuck with Morrison. :confused: