1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Rockets-Hawks Finalizing Draft Day Deal?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Outlier, Jun 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. DJ Naztorious

DJ Naztorious Member

you forgot about newly-re-signed Rubber Chucky Hayes.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

We could do a lot worse, but I also think we could do quite a bit better. Don't forget we have the #32 pick as well!

3. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

OH ya, Chucky could replace Bowen. Bowen needs to be injured to whole year. With this lineup we can win against anyone. We got Defense, quickness, and 3rd and 4th scorer in the team. Yao, T-mac, MJ, Roy all of them can create and score at any given time.

4. Proz4k

Proz4k Member

Someone can be sure that Roy will be available at 5...? i heard Charlotte likes him...

5. YugoRocketsFan

Pro, I think Charlotte wants Morrison at the 3rd spot, well it is what i've heard.

6. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

Head and the 8th pick for the 5th pick?

I doubt that this will be remembered as a good trade. Roy is just not that good. Of course, he can do everything a little and he's ready, but it's not worth it. Keep Luther Head and draft Brewer or Carney instead.

Head + Carney/Brewer >>> Roy.

Unless the Rockets know that they WILL get Mike James and another quality bench player they should not do this trade. Seriously, they just should NOT do that.

7. Drizno

Drizno Rookie

I also think MJ would take Morrison if Roy has committed to us or another team. He won't see Roy pull a "Steve Francis" on Draft Day.

MJ knows they have a decent young team oriented squad. With Morrison, they could add a scorer to play with Wallace at the 3.

But what would Portland do then...

Rudy Gay?

I'm thinking it's gonna be this according to this rumor...

1. TOR - Italian dude.
    2. CHI - Thomas
    3. CHA - Morrison
    4. POR - Gay
    5. ATL - Roy (trade with 8th)
    6. MIN - Foye
    7. BOS - Williams
    8. HOU - Landlord (trade with 5th)

8. univac hal

univac hal Contributing Member

I don't know.. deal or no deal, somehow I still have the feeling Roy will end up going top four (Blazers perhaps), leaving us drafting at #8 after all. Unless the deal isn't specifically for the purpose of drafting Roy, in which case I would really like to have Rudy Gay (no Tyrus Thomas please)

Whatever the case, looks like the chances of Head sticking around for next season are marginal at best - he's seemingly dangled as bait in every other trade proposal that's mentioned around here. So long then Luther, it's been good.. thanks for all the clutch threes :)

9. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I don't think Juwan is the best power forward, but I think our needs at PG n SG are more important as it stands right now. I can live with Juwan b/c he can still put up some points and bring down some boards, but if Sura's back doesn't improve, we have Roy, Alston, and an aging Wesley. At PF, we have atleast two young guys in Swift and Hayes.

We are so close to getting over this hump and contending for the title, but at the same time, so far. We got the toughest part by getting two legit superstars, and hopefully with Roy, that would make it a third star, but if we can only get lucky and get a decent trade somewhere!

10. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

If Roy goes at #4, would you still want the Rockets to pull the trigger with either Bargnani or Morrison if they are available at the #5?

So many questions, so little answers! :confused:

11. Diaw

Diaw Member

shelden williams will be there at #8 if the hawks dont pick him ... but obvisously there's a chance that Roy goes to portland or charlotte ... except if he has told those teams he dont want to play for them ... if roy is gone, i think we should ask the hawks to pick morrison ... but if he's gone too, do we still make the trade for Gay ????

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

ESPN has us picking up Rudy Gay at #8 but at this point its all just speculation. I wouldn't mind either of those picks. The draft isn't very strong or deep, but it has the potential to pick up some solid roleplayers that we so desperately need.

13. Proz4k

Proz4k Member

When did LaMarcus Aldridge say he's quitting the draft...? :rolleyes:

He's top 5 prospect in this year...

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

The number 5 pick has traditionally been a magical pick.

15. ClutchCityReturns

At least in comparison to the #8. Sooooo many wasted picks, underachievers, and straight up busts in the last 25 years.

http://www.nba.com/history/draft_round1_2000s.html

16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Whilst i have alot of time for head, there is noway we should not do this rummor trade. Roy is gonna be a star in this league. whilst head will be a solid role player. roy's potential is immense. with roy we get an instant 3rd Scorer.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

For those of you advocating that we nix trading up for Roy if it means giving up Luther Head:

I liked Luther. I thought he was a heck of a steal at #24, and we'll miss his three point shot and occasional zip to the basket.

But imagine that same player three inches taller, with point guard skills, and better all-around skills.

Imagine our options this year: Mike James? Vasilis Spanoulis? (Not both, barring a sign-and-trade, because it isn't for sure that we could get MJ for the MLE, and we sure couldn't get both players.)

EDIT: Arn Tellem and other sports agents must have a lot of power. I read where he implied how he'll warn off other potential suitors (I guess, in this case, Toronto, Charlotte, Chicago, Portland, Minnesota, Boston) to get his clients where he wants them/where they want to be.

18. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

I will very happy with Roy but there would be an empty feeling for losing Luther Head.

I guess Morey looked at the stats and told them to get Roy at any price.

The Rockets do not want to take a chance at a top 6 dropping in their lap at #8, I think they should since Shelden Willimas, Randy Foy and Marcus Williams are rumored to be going top 7.

I think somehow the Rockets are going to screw up the draft.

19. ClutchCityReturns

In the end, it all comes back to 1 # in my mind...

50.8%

That's Roy's overall FG% from last season. It's actually slightly lower than his career average, so you know it wasn't a fluke. But, even if he drops off (we'll say 5%) during the transition to the NBA, that's still 46% which would put him so far above any of our perimeter players from last year that it is truly ridiculous.

With Roy stepping in as a reliable (and efficient) 3rd scorer, it allows Juwan Howard to be a 4th option, which is a far better role for him at this point of his career. In fact, I'd say it's perfect. That would then also leave Rafer the opportunity to be 80% distributor and 20% scoring threat as opposed to last year which felt something more like 60/40...maybe even 50/50 or worse at times.

The key, I feel, is to pick up a player that allows everyone else to fit their role that much better than they were able to this past season. In my opinion that guy is Brandon Roy, with a consolation prize of Ronnie Brewer.

Add to all that the possibility of bringing in Mikes James to be a huge scoring punch off the bench and, dare I say, we become one hell of an offensive team after just 2 players additions.

Luther Head is nice, but he doesn't allow other players the ability to play their roles more effectively so to me, he's expendable.

20. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

1) I think they are the one team that could throw a kink in any Roy plans for the Rockets seeing they REALLY need a 2-guard just as much or more than Houston. BUT, with slumping attendance and attention, I think they want to get a name to excite the locals. I would assume they do whatever to get Morrison as he is the biggest name in this year's class.

2) Everything I've read seems to indicatate they are looking for a PG with the uncertainty they will be able to bring back Banks and they are down on both Hudson and Jaric. I think they are really high on Foye.

As for the trade, it's a good one. Basically Head for Roy and, if they feel like Roy will be a good starter for them for years to come, it's a no brainer.