1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Rockets-Hawks Finalizing Draft Day Deal?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Outlier, Jun 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

No, we're not. Deals like these are always contingent on the desired player being available. That's why they're announced officially AFTER both players (or in the case of Eddie Griffin, all four players) are taken.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

diaw, i think we should get a sg like mike gansy instead of a pg or pf. unless we are going to trade juan or swift, theres realy no point of having novak. we can use our mle to sign mike james. so:

rafer/james (or viceversa)
    roy/gansy
    t-mac/bowen
    juan/swift/hayes
    yao/mutombo/swift

i'm not sure if jvg is going to be happy with two rookies for sg but i think its worth it. gansy is like wesly kind of. both strong, and can shoot the 3 ball well.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Because Roy will hopefully play starting shooting guard - Head will play back up. I don't think many people are expecting Head to ever be a full-time starter, but most of us feel he's a solid contributer of the bench. We don't have a whole lot of those right now.

4. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

I felt that Head could play a bigger role this year and would contribute more than the 32nd pick.

5. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

I'd rather have Bogans as back-up SF than Bowen.

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

well, then we have to use part of the mle... cause i don't think he wants a vet. bowen has a player option, so we can't control that. it depends on him. and since bowen knows hes scrub, hes going to get the most money he can get which is from us. he cant get nothing from anyone else. :mad:

7. Diaw

Diaw Member

it seems many quality SGs could end undrafted, like denham brown, rashad anderson or allan ray ... they wouldnt be bad options for our backup SG no ???

8. Diaw

Diaw Member

i dont see him having a bigger role .. he played heavy minutes last season only because tmac wesley and alston got injured and anderson traded ...

9. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

Head isn't that good!!!

by all means... trade him if you think you can get roy! roy has potential that luther does not.

luther is a role player at best...

roy has greater potential to impact this team.

10. Pringles

Pringles Member

luther can be a good starter, he has the speed to. he just need to work on it. thats why most ppl would rather have luther AND roy on the same team. but sacrifices are supose to be made to get better.

11. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

The Rockets would be stupid to pass on this trade because Roy is the type of player that will make a team instantly better. I'm just saying Luther would've been great coming off the bench for us.

That's the point. Since he played heavy minutes and got to know JVG's system, he would've seen the court much more than the 32nd pick.

12. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

We don't have to part MLE to sign Bogans. Just like we didn't part MLE last year when we signed Mutombo and bowen. We can still have MLE and Bogans.
    Now if we trade with ATL then we know for sure we will have either GAy, Roy, or Morrison available at 5th. So i guess we can take any of them. I remember hearing CD that all 3 players are equally good. I wouldn't mind having Gay, Morrison or Roy. The good part about having Roy is that Tracy doesn't need to move from SF. Also we should try to get CATO with our TE, MJ with our MLE and resign Wesley to Vet min.

Yao/Mutombo
    Juwan/Swift/CATO
    TMAC/Bogans/Bowen
    Roy/Wesley/MJ/Bogans
    Rafer/MJ

Thats a great starting and bench lineup. What do you guys think?

13. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Head is a good young player.

But he wont find a starting job unless he can improve his PG ability.

He is way too short for SG.

14. Pringles

Pringles Member

u forgot the pf. i heard cato think he deserves the mle, maybe detroit resigns him for 1 year with a team option for the 2nd year, then we trade juan for cato. i think cato is better than juan in my opinion. and our bench is still consider weak compare to dallas or miami. maybe we can trade swift and bowens for a pf that has a bad contract.

15. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

If I were running the Rockets or Hawks I would not want this information to get out. If any of the teams picking below wants Roy they want to trade up now to the fourth spot or higher.

… unless, maybe we want someone else (like mr Morrisson) and planted this info with DraftExpress. It just seems the Rockets have been “leaking” a lot of info lately…

:eek: :cool:

16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I like the idea of drafting Roy. However if we do draft him I hope we are looking to get a solid vet to back him up. He might actually be just what we are looking for. Getting players to improve our perimeter D is still an issue and if he is as good as the descriptions are in these articles about him he might be our answer.

17. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

This draft is getting confusing by every minute. Lets See!!!

If Bargnani goes first then Aldridge, Gay, Morrison, Roy, foye, M williams, S williams, obryant. That means Tyrus thomas is getting drop all the way down to 10.

Another scenario is if Thomas goes 2nd, followed by Gay, Morrison. Then i think ATL will pick Aldridge because he is clearly better than Sheldon Williams. Followed by Foye, M Williams, and we can select Roy.

So i think if Chicago selects Thomas and Minny selects Foye than we can guarantee us Roy without any trades. So in my opinion the real question is WHO DOES CHICAGO WANT???

18. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

Two more snippits to feed the fire

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2006/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&id=2495754

UPDATE: Another possible deal could have the Hawks moving down a few spots in the draft to get Williams. They could swap first-round picks with a team like the Rockets (No. 8) and perhaps get a player like Luther Head as part of the deal.

Of course they mention us at the #1 (saying we don't have the assets), the #5 and #6. Head seems to be mentioned in all likely trades. Seems like everyone wants.... ok i'm sure that joke is WAY old by now.

I like him, but I think the prospect of an impact player is overwhelming. I would pose this question though. Is anyone of these players in this draft a top 5 or 6 pick in most drafts? Just curious.

Mike

19. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Because he's the only shooting guard that would be taken that early. Like someone said, it'd either be Roy or Thomas, and the fact that we're giving up our only SG (and we have 3 PF's already) pretty much screams "WE'RE MOVING UP TO TAKE A SG (ROY)!".

20. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I hope so, if for no other reason than that's exactly how I called it when I made my first clutchfans mock draft about a month ago. It was a bold move but if it comes true I'd get to feel like a genius for like 5 minutes :p