1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Rockets-Hawks Finalizing Draft Day Deal?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Outlier, Jun 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Isn't padgett a free agent? I think we could sign him with the vets minimum and not touch any of the exceptions.

2. shagdog1976

shagdog1976 Member

I think the Rockets will be unstoppable if they can get a decent SG and PF.

Getting Roy will be nice but it will take him at the very least a year to develop plus who would back him up should he start.

You have a glaring need for good PF so is there a plan to get one?

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

He isn't a FA but supposedly the Nets are thinking about releasing him. I'd rather use some of our TE than our MLE on him.

4. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Nothing really new, or concrete(but at least he doesn't say it's dead), and I don't have ESPN Insider, but this(via a Hawk mb) is from a John Hollinger draft chat about 1 hour ago. Only posting the small part directly pertaining to the Hou/Atl situation.

John Hollinger draft chat:

Alex, Georgia
    What's the truth surrounding Atlanta. There seems to be a lot of smokescreens considering Billy Knight never shows his hand before a move.

JOHN HOLLINGER
    I don't know about never showing his hand -- it was pretty clear he was taking Gasol when he was in Memphis, and I don't think the Marvin Williams or Josh Childress picks shocked many people either. Right now it looks like Shelden Williams is his guy. The only questions are 1) is he the guy at No. 5 or further down, and 2) is he still the guy if Brandon Roy or LaMarcus Aldridge is still on the board?

Zeke Jackson (Atlanta
    Are the rumors true that Huston and Atlanta has a trade deal finalized? Do you see S. Williams becoming an efficient pro?

JOHN HOLLINGER
    If the rumored deal is in place, it won't be finalized until Atlanta's pick comes up and Houston sees it's guy (presumably Roy) is still on the board. Usually you don't see anything announced until after both teams have picked.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Vet's min would leave the MLE fully intact but Rocks would need to give him a two year contract.

6. dram1

dram1 Member

7. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

im just gonna express my opinion. i dont kno what's been said before this.

From the way things look, Brandon Roy is probably our best option if we can pull it off. From what I hear, I hear ATL is going to pick up Roy with the 5 pick. and then we'll pick up shelden williams at the 8th pick and we'll trade him and Luther Head for Roy. I say go for it. I hate to see Luther leave, but lets be honest.....we all knew he would not stay long in Houston just cause he's too small.

we're in desperate need of some youth, and a good 2 Guard. Roy brings this and he says he's pretty confident in running the point as well. He's supposed the most "complete" player in the draft and is a high favorite to win Rookie of the Year! How can you go wrong with that?

Rudy Gay supposely had a good workout with the Raptors and now the Raptors are probably gonna get him with the top pick, but the Raptors may trade their top pick and something else for a high NBA talent.

All you Reddick fans......the guy now has some nerve damage or something wrong with the disk in his back....you guys are hating on t-mac and his back problems and you want to pick up reddick at this early age with his back problems. YOU HAVE TO SAY NO!!! if we can get Reddick at the 32nd (highly doubtful) go for it then or trade up to get him. Couldn't you see it now?

Alston/Roy
    Roy/Reddick
    T-Mac
    Juwan/Stromile/Hayes
    Yao

8. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

now that I think of it....screw reddick....i'm not too sure what we can pull off from here and who knows how much talent would be left later on in the draft but if we can pull off a decent PF by trading down.

J-Howard + 32 Pick for a decent PF.....that's probably better.

Alston
    Roy
    Tmac
    Decent PF
    Yao

9. Diaw

Diaw Member

omg it's becoming too hard to wait ... i really hope this deal's not dead and that either roy/gay/morrison falls to the hawks' pick ... and that shelden will be there at #8 ... rhaaaaaaaaaaa

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

The trade would have to be consumated prior to 2 p.m. e.s.t., as it involves a current player:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2006/news/story?id=2502577

I assume this rule is in place so that teams have time to tell their player they've been traded, without them learning about it from the commissioner while watching the draft?

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think that says the trade has to be made by the 2 p.m. deadline if they want the picks officially swapped in time for the draft. You can trade a current player during the draft.

12. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

according to ESPN last night (i dunno how reliable they are)

the hawks have told Sheldan williams agent that their drafting him....