1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Rockets exploring trade scenarios for Bosh

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by djohn2oo8, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Tracy will make $7.5 million more than Bosh next year. Toronto could throw in a bad contract to even up the salaries and clear more cap space than if they just let Bosh's contract expire. They'd turn a $15.7 million expiring contract into a $23.2 million expiring contract. The reasoning for them is that if they're going to lose Bosh anyway, might as well maximize how much money you clear away in the process.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the raptors have very little leverage because its well known that bosh will leave next summer. even bryan colangelo admitted to looking into trades this year and S&T's next summer. 29 other teams know the raptors have to trade him. there is going to be less convincing offers coming in since the raps are already convinced trading bosh is the way to go.

the best they could hope for is "that's not bad."

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i love for this to happen. bosh is a great player to build around b/c he has a great all-around offensive game and is willing to play defense is the team is good.

4. RedRox29

RedRox29 Member

Idk if this works but,
    Trade Battier+Scola+Cook for Bosh+Filler

Lineup of:

Brooks/Lowry
    Tmac?/Taylor
    Ariza/White/Budinger
    Bosh/Landry/Hayes
    ?/Dorsey/Yao

All we need is a C that can rebound and block shots and were set for now and the future. If yao comes back early, thats even better.

5. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Strike One. (No it doesnt work)

6. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Ariza is a breath of fresh air to this off season!!!

Sweet!

It's a big contract - 5 yrs. for 33 million, but he's being expected to do some good things for this team.

Center - Scola
    Power F - Landry
    Small F - Ariza
    Shoot G - Battier
    Point G - Brooks

I know it doesn't look like much yet, but at least the Rockets seem to be building a core team to then bring in a star. Build the core team, and then bring in a star player.

Most teams get the star player, then build up the team.

7. RedRox29

RedRox29 Member

Is it the contracts? salaries? Im not very educated with that stuff.
    Would love for this to happen though

8. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Getting Bosh for Tmac would be great but I do not see it happening. Bosh will leave Toronto in 2010 and the Raptors want more then just an expiring contract to get him. By throwing a bad contract with Bosh for Tmac and say Scola would not be a good idea for the Rockets. The bad contract will tie the team's flexibility in years.

9. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

Exactly....we'd no doubt have to take back Marcus Banks at roughly 4.5 per for the next two years and I'd maybe try and have them throw in Patrick O'Bryant (yeah, I know he sucks but he's an extra 7 footer) You'd probably have to throw in Landry but if we do eventually get a starting quality center, your rotation would pretty much be Bosh at the PF with (insert name of center) and Scola coming off of the bench splitting time at both positions for 30 mins or so

Either way, add Banks 4.5 to Tracy's 23.2 and O'Bryants 1.62 and the Raptors will have quite a bit to play with next summer while only essentially adding Landry's 3 mil - not that any free agents will want to go there any way ;)

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't want to stand pat and try to make a Chinese-shoe-deal pitch to Bosh in a year that essentially makes him laugh all the way to the Knicks.

Would a straight-up trade work? Would we have the pieces to make that happen?

Luis Scola would be a good addition for the Raptors, given their need for foreign players, since our guys don't seem to have a hankering for the place.

And we could unload some of their more heinous contracts, to be sure, if it meant a chance for Bosh.

A trade could involve just the two teams or might add a third team. Does Toronto want to dump salaries to take a run at the 2010 free agent class? There might be some guys who'd go to Toronto, no problem.

Or, if Toronto takes on McGrady despite the fan backlash, they could ship him off at the deadline for players who might stick around in Toronto when they become free agents (again, think foreign players....Okur, Kirilenko). Or save the cap space to add Canadian Steve Nash.

If by some miracle we get Bosh, Morey better not be using the pitch that "alongside Yao blah blah blah". Forget Yao. He's done. End of story. Can't pay the guy to keep waiting for his feet to fall to pieces. WE WILL STILL NEED A CENTER.

EDIT: Sacramento might also make a good third team to facilitate this, depending on how attached they are to their guys. Supposedly the Kings want to shed salary. Would Toronto be all right to have Calderon + Scola + Nocioni? Add Scola and Nocioni (and sweetener?) for Bosh and Toronto would actually have a better team, international in style, etc etc.

#30 ROXTXIA, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  11. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Before opening this, I crossed my fingers hoping that the player Houston is trying to trade for is Chris Bosh. Very happy to see I was correct in my assumption and hope. Perfect player to target at this point, even if they can't get him yet. Let him know that we want him and hope that factors into his decision about where he wants to play...... or Toronto can just do the trade now. :)

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Bosh is a pipe dream unless we prove to him that Yao can and will be healed.

13. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Hahaha

I just looked it up, read this and died a little inside.

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Chris Bosh wants a sign and trade, he wants his extra 30 million, which he can get only from Toronto, don't think its going to be easy walking away from that extra money. So the leverage you talk about is not as weak as you are making it out to be. If you think he's going to get traded for role players, dream on, there are other teams out there that will offer more.

15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

That works, no filler needed. It even keeps our salary cap flexibility to add another max player next summer, if Yao gives us a slight discount from the max deal and we renounce Lowry. I.e., we would have room to sign a top free agent SG to join a nucleus of Bosh, Yao, Ariza, Brooks, Landry and our first round draft pick.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If he gets traded before next season, doesn't the team receiving him get the same ability to give him money that the Raptors had? That's what happened when we traded for Artest. Had we chosen to do so, we could have given Artest any amount we wanted (up to the Max) and been allowed to exceed the cap to do so. Wouldn't the case be the same if we somehow traded for Bosh?

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Bosh needs better players than himself in order to be at his best. He hasn't been able to become a KG on defense in Toronto,why would he be able to do that in Houston?

Chuck or Dorsey can't help him enough defensively in the frontcourt,and even if they could,they aren't good enough offensively to play along with him. Scola and Landry can't help him there, and neither can Battier and Ariza.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

What you are discussing is Bird rights.

From my cursory reading, his bird rights would come to us. So yes, we could still offer a max contract.

19. worzel gummidge

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...t-crop-offers-raptors-options/article1204931/
    Current Raptors roster:

Calderon, Ukic, Banks
    DeRozan, Douby, (vacant)
    (vacant), (vacant), (vacant)
    Bosh, Evans, Humphries
    Bargnani, O'Bryant, Jawaii

McGrady to NY → Mobley + Lee

Lee + Battier + White/Budinger to TOR → Bosh

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

and by trading for bosh this year the team who acquires him also receive his bird rights which means they will be the only team who can make him that offer. toronto would trade those rights with his contract.

so the leverage you talk about isn't as strong as you make it out to be. ;)

i never said trade role players, i said start with yao and throw in role players, even picks if you have to.