1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rumor] Rockets after Amar'e Stoudemire

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Ketchup&Mustard

I'd like to hang on to Scola too if possible, but I think he's a must in this deal for PHX. PHX could do better than Hill, Battier, Jeffries, and a knick pick by making a trade with another team. Scola is a top asset and they need a good PF to help fill the void left by Amare. Hill would not suffice. Plus, Scola is 30 years old. It's a continuous effort to keep a team's roster from getting too old, and this a good opportunity to get younger, better talent. Granted, Scola's game is a fundamentally sound one that doesn't involve a lot of athleticism (proly cause he never really had any) and thus he will continue to be effective into his mid-thirties IMO, but Amare is too good to pass up. Last, if we keep Scola and get Amare we'll have way to many PF's on the roster (if we don't already), with no defense.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, that had nothing to do with it; they were only under the cap if they renounced Shawn Marion.

See: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q78

There is nothing about not allowing packages. You are likely confusing that aspect with the trade exception, which can't be bundled with players.

For reference, here is the full CBA:

http://www.nbpa.org/cba/2005

As aelliott already mentioned, the Eddy Curry deal was a clear example. That deal was actually done under the 1st year of the new CBA (July 2005), not under an old CBA as one poster inaccurately replied.

3. texascityman31

Big Bad Brad.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that's not 100% accurate. he's leaving because he wants to leave. like lebron... who has no flaws. but yes, he's more easily acquired because of the flaws.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

For Scola & Battier or Ariza and a pick..sure.

DD

6. texascityman31

Just like Morey trying to aquire two big names at the deadline last season, be assured he will go after Amare and another player.

7. angryman

angryman Contributing Member

I just have to come out of lurker mode and give a Darth Vader NOOOOOOOOOOOO, with some vuvuzelas BBRRRRRRRRRR in the background.

I love you, Scola.

Thanks.

8. Ketchup&Mustard

Absolutely.

9. rrubio101

rrubio101 Member

I'm very worried about Amare's ability to put up similar numbers without an MVP point gurad dishing him the ball anymore

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

What do you mean!? We have the great Aaron Brooks! :p :rolleyes: ;)

11. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

dont worry, just look up Stat's stats from before Nash go there.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

No, no, no - not Johnson.

13. Ketchup&Mustard

Valid concern. But he moves so well without the ball, and we have Yao to draw double teams, so....

Our PG's will only get better too, and I don't think we've come close to seeing the full potential of Lowry's playmaking ability.

14. Egghead

Egghead Member

Woj tweet

WojYahooNBA
    Miami planning to meet with Amar'e Stoudemire after midnight EST in L.A., sources say. Houston and Cleveland expected to reach out soon too.

15. Htown's2kFinest

Man if Amare sucks on D, I wonder how much better Bosh is??

not really, cuz Bosh ain't no premier post defender himself. and Injury prone?? guy didn't miss ONE single game last season(including the post season I believe). last injury he had was a detached retina. pple on here are just nit-picking.

Amare is the real deal. hope he's Morey's target.

16. Ketchup&Mustard

This.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This deal seems to hinge on the notion that Scola would want to play for Phoenix. If Scola says no, thats it. Even if the Rockets match the offer sheet he signs with another team they have to wait to trade him against his will. Unless Luis actually commits to a sign and trade this won't happen.

Ex: Luis signs a contract with the Heat, and Houston matches. Houston retains Scola's services, but he is not trade-able for another 90 days (I think it is 90). By that time, Amare has already taken Scola's place with the Heat.

Plus, Phoenix is hemorrhaging money right now, the possibility of them doing a sign and trade without a salary dump is inconceivable. Amare plus a salary dump is not a good trade, it is not a Morey trade.

Unless the trade participants change (ie, Battier and Ariza and ... for Amare) or Amare outright signing with Houston (haha) it will not go down.

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Shaq isnt a legit center?

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

interesting why bosh isn't their first guy.

maybe bosh scheduled a meeting with another team at midnight.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member