1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Microsoft to Release Blu-Ray Player for 360 by May

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket G, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Definitely welcome news!

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Wow, that was quick. Guess they knew the writing was on the wall a few months ago.

Evan

3. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Man, if Microsoft knows what's good for the company, they'd OFFICIALLY announce a Blu-Ray add-on like TODAY (even if it didn't ship for months). The tide and momentum is definitely turning towards the PS3 because of its built-in Blu-Ray functionality (hell, even I'm considering one). MS needs to head Sony off at the pass, lest they lose out of potential sales due to lack of Blu-Ray ability.

4. tulexan

tulexan Member

So would Sony generate revenue from a 360 add on since it is a Sony led consortium technology?

5. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

They and Philips would since they co-developed BR.

Microsoft and Toshiba could still make a killing off of it too.

Microsoft needs to confirm this ASAP though. a BR-capable 360 takes away the only advantage the PS3 has.

Though this is moot b/c downloadable content is coming faster than you think.

Two nights ago I downloaded "3:10 to Yuma" from Xbox Live. The file was about 7 GBs and downloaded in the time it took my to go to the gym and get back. Two versions offered: standard def for like $2.75 and HD for like $3.50. You get two weeks to keep the movie untouched but once you hit play you have 24 hours to watch it as many times as you like.

I downloaded the HD version and it was amazing looking. I do have a Samsung HD tv and hooked to my 360 Elite through HDMI. Pretty amazing experience for me to download and watch a whole HD movie like that.

Obviously, I would like to keep it longer or pay a few bucks extra to keep it permanently but that will change. 7 GBs out of a 120 GB drive isnt much and as the price of drives comes down I can see keeping tons of movies on a separate detachable drive. Much cleaner than tons of discs laying around.

Xbox Live is already an online HD Itunes. Now if Microsoft adds BR to satisfy those who want to own the next gen media format, it will be the best console all-around by far.

6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

The only thing that would suck is that you can get a PS3 with Bluray built in for $400 while it would cost you at a minimum of $550 for a 360 and external Bluray add on. I'm going by a $350 regular 360 and a $200 add on which is about what the HDDVD add on cost.

7. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

True but the rumor is that the next iteration of the Elite will have BR onboard and be the same price as the 360.

Also, some people don't want BR - they just want to play games - so BR is not for everyone.

And in the end it's up to the games. And the 360 wins on that. So far.

8. Master Baiter

Where is this rumor of an internal Bluray for any 360? I've never heard of it ever. M$ never said they would have internal HDDVD, much less internal Bluray, and this is the first to hear of an external Bluray.

You could still get a cheaper PS3 for $400 than if you bought an Elite with internal Bluray, which I still don't believe for a second.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

^ I'm going to venture a guess that the amount of times I watch a bluray DVD on my video game system equals the amount of times I watched a DVD on Xbox/PS2 or played a CD on my PlayStation....a number that can be counted on one hand. Or no hands.

10. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Well isn't that because DVD players were relatively cheap and most people had a standalone DVD player in addition to their PS2?

If you have a PS3, why would you go out and buy an additional Blu Ray player unless you have another TV where you prefer to watch movies and do not have your video game system hooked up?

11. Master Baiter

The PS3 Bluray is fantastic and the HDDVD Add On is nearly as impressive. My PS3 is my exclusive DVD player. It is really, really nice.

12. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

This is the kind of convergance that is going to kill bandwith throttling by ISPs like Time-Warner and Comcast. 7gb is nothing these days, and it had better come fast.

13. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

the only way MS can hold off Sony is

Create another SKU similar to the ELITE and put an internal blu-ray drive in there and price it at $349.

That'll never happen.

On the flip side..the ps3 is still used as a blu-ray player for me. Eventually they're gonna have to make good games other than MGS and Final fantasy LXIX...Come on Sony I know your in the business of movies and games, but shift the focus to games for the ps3....

#14 UTweezer, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  14. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Well I guess there is no point in buying a PS3 now. I'll just wait til May and get me a BR player. But, what am I to do with my HD-DVD player?

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you have the add-on right?

16. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

yessur

17. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you use your xbox as a dvd player, then its probably a good idea to keep it so you can have less wear and tear on the main drive.

hd-dvds are going dirt cheap now, so u can pick up some titles for your library.

or you can ebay it!

oh.. i just picked up a HD-A2 for $50 on ebay (replacing my crappy samsung dvd player).

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

and why would this not happen again?

I can tell you the same thing for CD Players and DVD players. Among other reasons, a standalone player has a better interface, is higher quality, etc etc