1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor from Matt Jackson on 610

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SooneRockStro, Jun 27, 2001.

1. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I don't know if this has been posted or not but I was listening to the midday show with MJ and he said he has sources in Vancouver that said the Rockets are thinking about trading up to #6 if Battier is still there. Probably even if he's gone they might trade up. He said the Rockets are offering #13 and #23 for #6 but Vancouver wants all 3 picks. Clearly #13 and #23 is not enough. So the question is, would you trade all 3 picks for Shane Battier. It's a tough decision in my opinion. I would trade 2 of the picks but I am reluctant to trade all 3. I'll tell you what, I would trade all 3 for #6 and Vancouver's second round pick because I believe their second rounder is pretty high.

------------------

2. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

And release us from the Francis future #1 pick obligation. Then, I might consider it.

------------------

3. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

13 and 23 may be enough in the end. The Griz may be bullying for more, but bullies don't always get their way.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Hmm ... getting interesting. Props to buck88, who mentioned this rumor this morning.
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000920.html

The Rockets were going to do all 3 for #6 before, so not sure how much sense this makes... if it's accurate, I bet they fell in love with the idea of filling two needs -- SF and C -- rather than just one.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

[This message has been edited by Clutch (edited June 27, 2001).]

5. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Dont we have a pick of Detroits for next year? Don't the Grizzlies owe Detroit a pick next year? Couldn't this be worked out somehow to make this deal happen.

Rockets get #6 and next years Francis pick back
    Grizz get #13, #23, and Mirsad Turcan pick

------------------

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd do all 3 for #6 in a heartbeat. I may or may not use #6 on Battier, but I'd definitely would think that position was worth it. We know that the Rockets would prefer to pick only once anyway to save some cap-space for Webber, so why not? If we can squeeze more out, fine; if not, fine.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

7. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

Battier could fall to #13 why don't we wait to see if the Griz pick him. If they do we give them all three, if they don't two picks for Battier would be much more appealing to someone lower in the draft

------------------

8. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

We should at least have this deal cemented and ready to go so that New Jersey will get undercut...screw New Jersey

------------------
    -jbond77
    "truth be told, my car is dead, and I'm having am radio withdrawl symptoms"

9. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

I'd trade all three picks if Battier is still available. But like SoonrockStro said, I'd make sure we get at least a second round pick in return, allowing us to set our sights on a Ken Johnson or that center out of Seton hall.

------------------
    A desirous Mo Taylor is better than a prude Chris Webber.

10. mateo

Dont we have a pick of Detroits for next year? Don't the Grizzlies owe Detroit a pick next year? Couldn't this be worked out somehow to make this deal happen.

Rockets get #6 and next years Francis pick back
    Grizz get #13, #23, and Mirsad Turcan pick

------------------

11. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

I would do all 3 picks for #6 and #27.
    They would still have 4 1st round picks.

------------------
    I'M COOKING WITH GAS...

12. mateo

whoops, double post
    sorry

------------------

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I would MUCH rather have Vancouver's second rounder (#32 overall) than the 27th pick. For sacrificing only a handful of spots, the Rockets could free themselves of having to guarantee a contract. That would surely play a role in our ability to sign Webber or other free agents. #27 is an albatross compared to the option of an obligation-free pick at #32.

------------------

[This message has been edited by BimaThug (edited June 27, 2001).]

14. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

BimaThug,

Don't you think Vancouver is thinking the same thing!!!!

------------------
    Don't think....just throw. Don't think....just throw.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I like the idea of 13 and 23 plus next years number one and maybe even a player if they want Cato [​IMG] I know cato is a deal breaker but I had to throw it in there. [​IMG]

------------------