1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RUMOR-Calvin Murphy back Announcing (UPDATE: Will host pre/post game)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DFWRocket, Jun 9, 2012.

1. txtodd

txtodd Member

It wasn't one of his daughters was it? No one listens to them...

1 person likes this.
  2. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I can see Calvin saying to Bill, "I'm back my brotha'."

3. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

calvin and clyde is going to be an awesome combination,

see ya bill worrell, thanks for all the memories

4. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

This would make me one happy fan. :grin:

5. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

BOW!

nicely done

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

looks like he found himself a yummy bear. :cool:

hope it's true

7. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Says who?

8. Nero

Nero Member

OH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

The last few years, it has got to the point where I almost want to just DVR the games, fast forward to the 4th qrtr, check the score, and then maybe watch it from there to the end.

I just cannot stand listening to Clyde any more, I would almost rather not watch the games at ALL.

CALVIN MUST RETURN

THE SIG POWER SHALL PREVAIL, IT MUST!

9. Know Your Role

Best Rockets news in years. Don't adjust your TV set folks, this is actually how Calvin Dresses...

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Calvin and Clyde?

Drexler needs to be replaced with someone named "Hobbes."

11. SK34

SK34 Member

Hry guys, if y'all want I can confirm this rumor because I personally know Calvin Murphy's son and step sons.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I heard him mention a "big announcement" on 610 last week or the week before and instantly thought this is what it will be. I actually thought HOF first but then remembered he's already in. So what else could it be?

I say this in all honesty - I will watch more Rocket games next year if he is back with Bill full-time. Truly one of the best color guys in the league and he and Bill have such great chemistry.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The fact that Calvin was not brought back until now is a testament to Les' stubborness, and probably does not bode well for him changing his mind about going to a youth movement.

DD

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Do you not remember what he was being accused of and his personal life that came into the national spotlight? Its surprising that he is still working with the Rockets organization at all. Your really reaching on this one DD. Hate to break it to you.

15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

A lot of us are going to be dissappointed..

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That case was dropped years ago. And Calvin was beloved as an announcer.

Les already had fired him once but the public outcry got him back...not a reach at all.

DD

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He's been very active doing things in the community that are assisted and partnered with the Rockets. Its not like Calvin is being brought back just now because Les was getting tired of hearing about it on Clutchfans.

He's gradually been embraced back for years now which is probably the right way to go rather than just bringing him back after a year. Plus, Bull & Clyde deserved a chance to retain their jobs for a few years. Bull has done a good job of improving, but we all know Clyde has struggled for the past few years to really improve.

Yes I think it is a far stretch from you but Im certainly not going to convince you of that opinion. Murph himself says constantly that he would have done the same thing if he was the Rockets and he is blessed that they those relationships have been kept in tact enough for him to still work with the organization and the community again.

Those are coming from Calvin's words, not mine. You dont have to make everything a anti-Les ad to get yourself self gratification DD.

The fact is the guy was accussed of sexually assaulting his own family. Those things dont just go away overnight even when pronounced not guilty. He's lucky to still have any job much less a professional broadcasting job. You, as the self proclaimed broadcasting guru should know how hard it is to make it in that profession normally much less when you carry around that kind of reputation.

That being said, yes I think its time to give the guy some redemption and a shot back broadcasting with the Rockets. Everyone deserves a second shot. Baggage that delicate just doesnt disapear overnight.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Haven't read every single post in this thread, but I hope the "rumor" is true. That Bill and Murph are back doing the games, and Hell for Rockets fans watching from out of town, or on the tube in Houston, has finally ended.

19. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Actually, I remember hearing or reading on the board a while back that Calvin had some sort of contractual financial dispute with Fox sports Southwest and so, even after he was cleared legally and in the court of public opinion, he still was not brought back because of that dispute. Now that they are changing networks however they now are able to bring him back.

20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

This seems more likely than any other speculation I have heard.

If it was a personal thing with Les, or Les not wanting him around because of the charges, he wouldn't have been doing community activities with the Rockets.