1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RUMOR-Calvin Murphy back Announcing (UPDATE: Will host pre/post game)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DFWRocket, Jun 9, 2012.

1. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Okay...... Who is your "reliable" source? Lol

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. RedRacer

RedRacer Contributing Member

heheh ... He is a Houston legend

But why do I get a "Pervy Murphy" vibe here?

:p

4. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Just b/c I said cool story I'm too young? The sarcasm was directed to the lack of real sources the OP was referencing. If anything, "u too young" to understand the undertones of what I posted.

I've watched Bill and Calvin since 92-93, and was upset when Les let him go due to the supposed false accusations.

I'd love for Calvin to be back, but I dont see it happening.

5. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Let's hope so.

6. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

That would be welcomed news - Clyde HAS to go - Bill and Calvin back at it with a bit of Bull would be Sweet !!!

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Calvin is a three-announcer broadcast. By himself. I hope the OP's source is good.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Don't forget the legendary "HE GOTTA DUNK THAT!" phrase.

9. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I hope we've heard the last of "He knows how to play the game."

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

While Calvin was acquitted of sexually molesting five of his daughters, he will always be guilty of fathering 14 children by 9 different women. Being a teams announcer is a high profile position, so I can see why Les was less than thrilled with some of the decisions Calvin made in his life. I know that many here feel that Murphy should have kept his job, but 14X9 is pretty irresponsible, and not something you want one of your announcers to be known for.

However, I think it is time for Murphy to make his return. I really think that Worrell wants Murphy back, and that counts for a lot. It was clear this past season that Worrell was getting very frustrated with Clyde, and that he was much more comfortable working with Bullard. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Calvin started announcing the Home games in place of Clyde. The Rockets can find something else for Clyde to do.

12. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I think we all can agree the number of children with the number of women is despicable. However, I do not think that has anything to do with why Leslie doesn't want him back. There's no way people are going to look at a Rockets game and turn it off or refuse to watch it because Calvin is on. In fact, it would be a smart move so more fans from the past will be watching again.

He bring nostalgia, basketball smarts, personality and comedy but most importantly: he has chemistry with Bill! This season was the worst with Bill clearly frustrated like you said. That made it even worse to watch. Clyde might have been a great player and a great person, he has absolutely zero presentation skills, brings awkwardness which leads to comedy sometimes and brings zero insight to the table except for simple plays which is mind-boggling and makes me wonder if his talent was all athleticism, speed and such and no basketball-IQ. He never tells you something that is beyond obvious, is never able to predict plays, never seems to be spot on with his analysis etc.

13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

white girls always make black guys smile ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jGQ-ISsDm8M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Calvin, in the community, was always a class act. He represented himself, and the Rox, as well as he shot free-throws. 9/14? That's not on company time. Free Calvin!

15. NateNate

NateNate Member

I actually talked to him when i got a ball signed by him ( which I'm trying to sell!!) And he mentioned to me he would be back on tv soon so he had to get a couple more suits. He wouldn't go into detail but my first guess was announcing... we can only hope so

16. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Helll yeah

17. today

today Contributing Member

Finally the day has come! Bill and Calvin back together, CAN'T WAIT!

18. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

Yea I heard him say that on 610 with rich lord that he had big news coming in a couple of weeks and he said he could not talk about it just yet.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Someone brings up this rumor once a year.

20. il italiano

il italiano Member

heard the same think and thought instantly that this was about his return to the rockets broadcast team.