1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Rumor) Anthony Davis to the Lakers?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Dec 3, 2018.

1. omgTHEpotential

**** the Lakers

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi likes this.
  3. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So hard to stay in love with this league.

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Media Driven League/ Referee Rigged League

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

With the Pelicans staying overnight before traveling to Sacramento, James and Davis met up for a postgame dinner in Los Angeles, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

If Davis desires to be a member of the Lakers, it’s only a matter of time before he’s eventually sporting the purple and gold. Davis is in complete control of his destiny, and it may lead him directly to Southern California.

The Designated Player Veteran Extension was intended to increase the likelihood of franchise players staying with their current teams.

However, for the Pelicans’ superstar and the representation he hired in September — Klutch Sports, which also represents James — the lucrative incentive won’t factor much into his decision on whether the 6-foot-10 star will commit long term to New Orleans, as The Athletic reported Friday.

Davis wants to compete for championships for years to come. If Davis is of the mindset that New Orleans can’t surrounded him with the talent to contend, the DPVE won’t be viewed as much of a sweetener.

“I’d take legacy over money,” Davis told Yahoo Sports after posting game highs of 30 points and 20 rebounds to go with five assists in Friday’s loss. “I want to have a legacy. All my people that look up to me, the younger kids, I want them to know about AD’s legacy. Championships, the things I do in the community, being a good teammate, playing hard. All that stuff matters the most to me. Don’t get me wrong, money is amazing. But I think in that sense, money or legacy, I think my legacy will win that battle every time.”

At 15-18, they own the third-worst record in the Western Conference, but are just 2.5 games behind the eighth seed.

Players on other teams and a few of Davis’ teammates at times have privately suggested to the forward that the best outcome for him might be to move on, sources told Yahoo Sports. Davis, publicly, has professed his love for New Orleans and has tried to keep his focus on the season at hand.

The five-time NBA All-Star will be eligible to receive the DPVE in the summer of 2019, and the Pelicans can offer a five-year, $239,540,000 max contract that’s based on a $118 million cap projection for the 2019-20 season.

With annual 8 percent raises off his first-year salary, he would earn $41.3 million in Year One, $44.6 million in Year Two, $47.9 million in Year Three, $51.2 million in Year Four and $54.5 million in Year Five.

Rich Paul, CEO of Klutch Sports, is known to go against conventional wisdom when it comes to contract negotiations.

If Davis were to decline the DPVE, sources said he would likely decline the $28.7 million player option for the 2020-21 season and hit unrestricted free-agency in 2020. This would ultimately force the Pelicans to seriously consider trading their cornerstone in order to receive some form of value in return.

The Boston Celtics have long monitored Davis’ situation and on the surface possess the most attractive package of assets. If a team were to trade for Davis, he could play out his last year and re-sign for up to five years and $205 million. As an outright free agent, he could sign a max deal with a new team that would be worth approximately $152 million for four years.

“No, we’re not trading him,” Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry said before the game Friday. “We’re not trading him under any circumstance. You can move on from that one.”

But should Davis be so adamant about teaming up with James, Paul would inform all teams that his client is not signing an extension anywhere other than with the Lakers.

Teams could choose to go the Toronto Raptors route with Kawhi Leonard and trade for Davis anyway, but the ramifications of such a move could prove too costly in dealing with Paul and getting Davis to stay.

The L.A. market is alluring and Davis is intrigued.

Earlier this year, he purchased a $7.5 million home in Westlake Village in Los Angeles County. Furthermore, his profile and Nike presence would presumably grow in L.A.

The Lakers are a legitimate threat to pry Davis from the Pelicans. And if that’s what he wants, as many believe, there really will be no stopping him.

Vivi likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why the King no want to play with the Beard?

idiot

Sajan, Rudyc281 and omgTHEpotential like this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

The Pelicans can still keep Davis for one or two years, by that time Lebron will be 36, i hope they play this like the Spurs did with Leonard.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They won't. I'm prepared for it.

NBA should just go ahead and create a wrestling title belt for the champion every year and let them cut promos before the big games. Maybe do steel chair spots. They already have the crooked ref angle down.

Rudyc281, Blurr#7 and Vivi like this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed. And i was just saying what i hope cause yeah, i'm totally prepared to see Davis gone by next summer, and probably to the Lakers if Ainge is not willing to trade the goods.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Cool post. Look at the comments.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I recognize the greatness of Lebron. My rockets fandom won't allow me root for him when he is playing basketball. There is a general sense of apathy when I watch him play; it's simply a thing going on at any given moment.

I really really hate what he has done to the league, but I respect and admire it. Lebron and his friends have destroyed basketball as we know it and it's amazing. Jordan was a cog in the machine. Jordan just let his greatness make him tones of money. Lebron is using his greatness to dismantle the machine and build another one we are all going to be forced to use.. I love that a POC has turned one of the big three sports leagues into his b****.

Will I continue to watch? probably...

15. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

All this is gonna do is force more players to team up.

16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Silver has allowed Lebum to control the league. It’s absurd to see how Janes can get away with literally everything but yet maintain such following.

Sajan likes this.
  17. hakeemthagreat

If you need that much control whats the purpose of competing? This is why I don't like Lebron. If the AD wants to come to LA then let him make that decision. But to openly tamper with players on other teams is crossing the line. He's never gonna be considered a goat because of this

Blurr#7 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Beard strenghtened his own brand while the King sought vassals to surround him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

The one VERY important thing LeBron never did and I will always admire him for that, is he never took a paycut to accomodate more superstars. I think what KD did when he took a paycut to retain GSW together, was very detrimental to other superstars. Now the only way to take down GSW is if other superstars take their paycuts as well in order to team up, which plays directly into owners' hands.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member