1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rule V Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Buck Turgidson, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Drellich comes off on twitter sometimes as if he is butthurt that Luhnow didn't tell him all his secrets.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes it is nonsense, because there was literally nothing to criticize the Astros for in this instance, and he managed to take a potshot in all 3 of those tweets. I understood a little outrage before he was put on and it appeared he would be left off, but not after he was added.

They were working on a trade, there was a reason, even if a small one, to keep him off the 40 until the deadline. Trade fell through, and he was put on the 40 as was planned all along.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Didn't twitter twatter get Altuve in the lineup? :p

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed, that's what happened... but that's not what Luhnow said prior ("we don't expect him to be taken... remaining 40 man spots will be reserved for free agents and our claims"), nor is it what Astros people were telling Evan all day.

He's simply reporting what is being said and what he's being told... and this wouldn't be the first example of where mis-information from the Astros led to increased criticism. They're better off not releasing their moves or saying anything till its all done.

The Astros handle the media about as well as Singleton makes contact... both need improvement.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I for one am fine with Luhnow using the media, he never outright lied. He said if he was left unprotected they weren't worried about losing him, not that they intended to leave him unprotected, but they were considering it.

My guess is Luhnow put that out there to generate interest. Feliz was basically a lock to go number 1, so the 28 other teams had a chance to get him through a trade. He wanted to see if he got one he liked.

I really don't care if the media loves or hates him, I only care that he make the right baseball decisions, and time will tell if he's doing that. For all we know Feliz may flame out and DDJ may be a star that we lose.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Did you skip over the part where I wrote "situations like this"? :)

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Evan Drellich talked to multiple Astros people but was not told the truth. And now his panties are in a bunch.

I suspect that

• Luhnow was testing the trade waters for Feliz
    • Luhnow does not value Feliz as highly as the rest of the league
    • Luhnow initially left Feliz off the 40 man roster to start a bidding war
    • No trade offers were overwhelming
    • No trade, so Feliz is put on the 40 man roster
    • Luhnow used the press to get a Feliz bidding war started
    • Drellich was used and feels he looks more the fool than the insider

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nobody really should... and yet whenever things like this happen, everybody wonders why the media "hates" on the Astros.

Frankly, I actually don't think this was one of those times where the media just went nuts and "hated" on them (and yes, there have definitely been other times)... they were right to question their logic after Luhnow basically says he doesn't think he'll be picked because he's an A ball player, and the transition from A ball to MLB roster is a huge jump... even though Santana was lost in similar fashion. Many here also (rightly) questioned him after that comment.... I doubt the GM's really utilize twitter to generate "interest" and spread their mis-information, but then again ever since their ground zero was hacked, maybe they're branching out to other venues.

9. Scottay

Scottay Contributing Member

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

From Kiley McDaniel's chat on Fangraphs today:

Comment From Reg: Any chance a team takes a flyer on Delino DeShields Jr. in the rule 5 draft? Could he stick w/ a club the full year and be a utility guy (CF/2B) as well as a late inning pinch runner?

Kiley McDaniel: The makeup reviews are atrocious, which is getting to the point that most think he can’t play 2B b/c he doesn’t want to, so I’m inclined to say no.

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

It's pretty funny how many people get their panties in a wad about reporters getting their panties in a wad

Glad we keep Feliz

12. msn

msn Member

yes. yes, it is.

and if this is the standard a professional journalist is meeting, he should rather be flipping burgers.

agreed re:Aiken, but the Astros netted a nearly 20-game improvement over last year. I don't disagree that they haven't necessarily earned the benefit of the doubt, but there is marked improvement in the Major League product--and whether or not we agree or disagree with it, they made their intentions perfectly clear when they blew the thing up after the first 100-loss season. We may not have liked it (and who can forget the Gammonses of the world hating on the Astros for it), but they said what they were going to do and they've done it.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not that I am immune, but not giving the Astros the benefit of the doubt is an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He wasn't writing an article or even an editorial... he was reporting what was being said/what he was told on twitter, and providing his opinion on that matter (which mirrored the opinion of many informed/educated fans here).

And if Luhnow was using the media as part of his plan, he did exactly what the Astros wanted him to do.

There's a laundry list of PR/Media issues the Astros have brought upon themselves over the last 3 years that garners a lot of the bad press, besides just the negative results on the field.

As far as the "suck for #1 pick" strategy, time will tell if it really was "necessary" or the "fastest way" to getting them back to respectability. The net #1 pick gain from that strategy was Mark Appel (Correa was picked the year after this team just flat-out sucked even when trying). Would have felt better if the Aiken draft wasn't totally botched... now I'm pretty indifferent as to whether or not they should have just remained respectable (Luhnow had no problem finding MLB talent with the Cardinals, and they never had to have the #1 pick in every round).

You gotta admit, last year was pretty fun... and yet they were still very mediocre (also, i'm not going to keep spouting "20 game improvement, 20 game improvement!... because where they were in 2013 was just so horrible, that any amount of "trying" could have gotten them some significant returns). And that was only with one off-season's worth amount of effort spent on the MLB roster. Combined with the CSN debacle, interest in the Astros (and baseball) is at an all-time low in this city.... all-time low.... and I hate that.

#94 Nick, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  15. msn

msn Member

Do you really think that was the strategy?

They completely blew up the major league product in order to build from the ground up. It wasn't about the #1 pick, it was about minor league depth, and lots of it. They didn't "suck" for the #1 pick, they traded every valuable major league asset for multiple minor league assets.

And, it worked.

Now the jury's out as to whether they can build something worthwhile at the major league level.

But, seriously--this was *so* not about the #1 pick.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was *so* part of it... at least that's what they were telling everybody till the Aiken fiasco. The entire SI article was based on the 3 consecutive #1 picks as the fastest way to get back into contention. The trading away of the MLB team for minor league prospects was already well underway under the Wade regime (Pence/Bourne trades)... and most of the core MLB talent currently was already in the system (Springer, Castro, Altuve, Keuchel).

Yes, the selling off everything and starting over was the initial strategy... but fielding AAA players at the MLB level, experimenting, and not even trying to be competitive (payroll wise) was part of the strategy to ensure picking 1st.

Anyways, the original point was that the media hates the Astros more because of how the Astros treat the media... not because of their questionable rebuilding tactics.

#96 Nick, Nov 22, 2014
  17. msn

msn Member

That just puts way too much stock in the stories that journalists like to yarn. The Astros didn't choose to blow money on winning 70 games as opposed to 60 that they could rather have invested in rebuilding what was a historically awful minor league base.

This ain't basketball or football. The #1 pick in baseball isn't something you have a "Bush Bowl" over.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... which is why it was comical that after the Aiken fiasco, suddenly the draft is an unpredictable crapshoot... whereas before, it was important to put themselves in position to not only get a possible once-in-a-generation player, but also have the best chance to shore up depth. I've heard both stories been spun... the only thing that changes is the years.

Also, it was the Astros who yarned most of that SI story... the one positive piece of PR in a midst of 3 years of ugliness seemed like an owed favor called in by Luhnow.

Also, you could easily say that last year was the type of investment (Feldman, Fowler, bullpen) that was needed to ensure winning ~70 games. It wasn't a lot, and it was fun to be respectable. They also didn't blow stupid money on washed up guys just to spend. Could some of that had been done earlier if the #1 pick wasn't a priority? very possible...

#98 Nick, Nov 22, 2014
  19. msn

msn Member

I guess I've seen enough quotes twisted by the media to say whatever the hell they wanted that I don't for a minute believe the Astros yarned one iota of that story.

but last year, the minor league system was another year away from being able to provide some talent to the major league club. It was so pointless to try and be relevant in 2012 and 2013. This year, it was time to start building towards respectability. And they did.

20. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I disagree. First priority in selling off all the major league talent was to build depth in our minor league system. If the #1 pick comes along with it, sure that's great. As msn said, the #1 pick in baseball isn't nearly as valuable as other sports, and you're well aware of that. I don't think they even took the "#1" player in each draft.

They knew that #1 pick wasn't gonna be obtainable this season when they sent Cosart packing in the Moran package.