1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rule V Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Buck Turgidson, Jul 23, 2014.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think a team should take DDJ. That said, I think they will be hard pressed to keep him on the roster all season. Feliz will be the 7th guy in a team's pen.

Top 3 picks will be:

Dbacks
    Rockies
    Rangers

God forbid the Rangers steal from us.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Completely agree, would get rid of any of em to keep DDJ too just on potential

I don't get this at all

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Trying to understand the Astros not protecting Michael Feliz from the Rule 5 draft. Then I see Marc Krauss is on their 40-man.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯</p>&mdash; Ben Badler (@BenBadler) <a href="https://twitter.com/BenBadler/status/535627567311888384">November 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There has to be some reasoning for this. We can complain about a lot of things about how Luhnow works, but he is typically pragmatic above all else.

The only reasoning I can imagine is that we simply aren't as high on Feliz as a prospect as others are. That's the only logical reason I can think of, but even with that, trading him would make more sense than simply letting him go for nothing.

This is just very weird. It's seems to go against everything Luhnow stands for.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Feliz left unprotected? Yeah THAT one will come back to hurt.

6. Dankush

Dankush Member

Well at least Luhnow is excited, not sure how our World Series chances would have fared without these 3 30 year-old relief pitchers with average stuff and velocity and mediocre results in the majors. No reason to take a chance on a 21-year-old borderline top 100 guy with a 100 mph fastball who also probably has better control than all 3................

What the ****............. This is so disappointing. I would just love to hear Luhnow's full thought process.

7. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Luhnow: &quot;The success rate of pitchers going from Low A to the big leagues is miniscule. It's a risk that we're wiling to take at this point&quot;</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/535546753227833344">November 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

Only problem is that the "minuscule chance" just happened to bite the Astros in the a** 15 years ago. Oh well, hopefully he ends up being returned, if picked.

8. Nook

Nook Member

He is an idiot.

Feliz will be claimed, very possibly #1... assuming whoever takes him doesn't keep him (which I am not convinced is true), and the Astros get Feliz back, they will have wasted a year of development. This is arrogance at its highest. The 40 man roster is littered with garbage like Krauss and the Astros have to get cute? I am starting to seriously doubt the common sense in the organization.

It isn't rocket science, expose some of your trash stop gap pieces and protect the kid with success and electric stuff.

9. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Somebody tell me this is just a bad dream.

10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>How about this: the Astros have added Michael Feliz to their 40 man roster, announcing it an hour before deadline.</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/535643036122771456">November 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I am here for Feliz. Just seems like Luhnow is playing chicken instead of being safe.

12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Why you do this to me Luhnow

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Never mind.

14. HstnSprtsFan101

Beat me to it! good thing, would've been foolish not to. Now find a way to protect Gustave & DDJ

15. Nook

Nook Member

Nope this is a GM being arrogant and trying to prove a point. He is right, few pitchers go straight from A ball to the big leagues. However he is taking a risk that isn't necessary at all. He loses no matter what.

What are the possible outcomes?

1. Feliz isn't claimed- Feliz will be claimed. However if he isn't, you saved.. Krauss?
    2. Feliz is claimed and is sent back to Houston- Congrats GM you ruined a year of his development!
    3. Feliz is claimed and never pans out- You could have dealt him for prospects of value ... But you kept Krauss.

There is no winning situation here for the Astros. However the GM again is arrogant and knows better. He deserves criticism for this.

1 person likes this.
  16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

And.... we all sound stupid for the criticism.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Glad he ultimately protected him. Still the reasoning he cited is flawed.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Astros complete first known instance of 40-man trolling</p>&mdash; Will Lingo (@willingo) <a href="https://twitter.com/willingo/status/535643822382784513">November 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

19. Nook

Nook Member

No we don't.

Read what the GM said.... He was willing to risk Feliz because low A pitchers struggle in the majors.

While I am glad we ultimately protected Feliz, the only one looking like a fool is the GM for using faulty logic to justify protecting dead wood over a top prospect.

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Uhhhhh, woah.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Luhnow: &quot;We were working on something that didn’t come to fruition and the end result of that is we’re putting Feliz on the roster.&quot;</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/535645265022423040">November 21, 2014</a></blockquote>