1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy's Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by popeye, Apr 12, 2000.

1. popeye

popeye Member

The "In and Out" Interview

Tonight RT had a long interview on Radio, 950AM and rebroadcast on 880AM I think, sorry guys but caught only snips of it coming back from Austin.AM Radio ... In and Out and fuzzy a lot of the time. I am hoping for someone sticking it on RealPlayer. But it was interesting.

1. He will not Tank this team. Certain "allegations" of other teams (not mentioned) did not go well with his "competitive spirit" and he would "never do that to this young team".

2. He is aware that "two of our guys" have a chance to win "personal awards" and will do anything to help them win something, as long as it doesn't hurt the team ... and winning doesn't hurt a young team, but losing does. My sentiments exactly.

3. Draft day will be great if they have any of the top five positions. After that he thinks it is more likely he will trade to "get two or even three" late first rounds or early seconds. Or, he will trade them all away to get some player trade leverage. He is doubtful that the Rockets will land a top five "Steve Francis type"-"starter" player because the team "played us out of four positions(he laughs) in the last week". he said: "It was great!" or something like that.
    I was as proud of him as I have ever been. Honest to God. I had my doubts this past year about Rudy's ability, but man, he made up for all of that in those few words.

4. We have the $1.2M, the $2.3M plus a $4.5M to play with during the offseason, barring any changes in personnel. He thought it would be likely that Orlando would make the playoffs and the Rockets would get their pick this year afetrall, making it three total picks for the draft. He praised Hakeem personally and professionally and said he hoped he would know "early" what Hakeem's plans would be for next season. (I was catching this part only in and out with lots of interference, but) RT sounded like he felt Hakeem deserved to have a better season to finish off his career, but also seemed to say a poor showing next season maybe even worse.

5. Brian Grant: "We tried to get him a couple of times before" but couldn't get the deal done. I suppose I would be tooting my horn about my posts on these trade talks that (almost)everyone said was NOT going on. He liked his game. Liked a defensive 4/5 player like that. He would cost some big bucks and RT said he didn't think they could do it, unless a lot of things happened. First of all, the $4.5Million exeption is predicated on a trade only. That is, it can only be used in a trade not in a free agent signing. So that would involve a compatable trade with Portland's blessing and cooperation. RT didn't like the chances of that happening. IMHO: Who to trade? Walt? Nope. Drew? Maybe but what do we do for the rest of the 7-9Million it will cost to land Grant the RastaMan?

6. He likes the core of Francis, Shandon and Mobes. Interestingly he had a chance to say Mobes would be a good trade bait if he went after some high profile players like Grant, etc.... but he never said anything more substantial about Mobes leaving or being traded (at least I didn't hear anything). I think they have a quiet contract worked out for the Catman,folks. I think Mobes stays in the Bayou city.

7. He spoke very highly of Kenny. Even let slip something about what Tim Duncan told him recently (Tim Duncan????? wonder what they got together talking about,eh? Nobody asked him when he was talking to Tim and he didn't offer an explanation) and said ... "Tim said,who is that guy out there? I like him." "He(KT) gave McDyess a hard time last night too."

8. He also talked about the team being solid at the 1 and 2 positions, "deep" and he saw "no changes any of those guys at all". Mmmmmmmm, maybe Mooch is signed and delivered too. Dang!

9. Rudy said he really wanted some movement in the 3/4/5 positions and he thought he would likely fill those with trades. I never heard Walt mentioned at all.

My Take:

I have heard some very thick and trustworthy things lately, and some close "discussions" that are not wholly solid yet, that I will share here.

1. Tim has been very verbal about his chances of leaving San Antonio. Since the all star break, some things have happened (including a very personal situation) that has made it a greater possibility than before. Houston is one of the teams (although I hear a "distant possibility", some sources and one friend who I trust has speculated the odds are in Houston's favor), also Orlando,Miami and a "quiet/secret" contact recently from MJ's Washington Wizards, makes it interesting to be Tim Duncan these days. Chicago is out of the running. Never was in it apparently.

2. Trade offers with Houston, involving players like O'Kandi, Odom (God yes,Odom), have been circulating throughout the NBA trade mill. I have heard it from a couple of unrelated sources but have not been able to substantiate it to my satisfaction.

3. One rumor has been spinning around three "out of the race" teams, who are in dire need of help up front and involving Rockets Cato and Carlos Rogers amoung others. No comment from the Rockets. My feeling is that the Cato situation hinges on a number of things, not the least is what Hakeem will do and whether the Kandi-man/Odom trade is fruitful.{Does anyone else see the possibilities of Hakeem tutoring O'Kandi while Othella (Yes,yet another story,but probably just wishful thinking,coming from a good friend in California) splits time with them up front.

4. Tracy McGrady is going to Chicago. That appears to be solid. They Bulls are the only guys with big bucks and enough moxie to barge in and give him maximum without argument.

5. Vin Baker will be going anywhere that will take him. Gary Payton says he and a couple others "go or trade me,screw this."

6. Eddie Jones will be elsewwhere unless they max the paycheck and the Hornets cannot do that. They sunk themselves with so many lousy contracts, that they look like the Washington Wizards sometimes. Guess what Chicago owner likes Eddie's game. Personally I would take two I."JR" Riders before I would put one D. Colman on my team. He's a slug. In a related rumor, Eldridge Recasner may be available for a team looking for a solid guard. He wants Coleman gone or he is going. They will have difficulty trading away Coleman. So El will be moving it seems.

7. My Opinion Only: The Lakers make a strong bid for the big dance. (Well, duh,eh Popeye!) But win or lose the team will be essentially kept together for at least another season.

8. Read my lips. Drew will be traded. And early in the summer. KT will be a Rocket next year unless we are looking at him as a deal breaker in a major deal.

------------------

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

popeye,

On you Lakers take:

So Rice stays a Laker?
    Interesting.

Any Miami stories/plans?

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited April 12, 2000).]

3. WHAM!

WHAM! Member

thank you popeye

man, we get duncan, and helloooo nba champions for the next decade or so. wow.

duncan
    thomas
    anderson
    mobley
    francis

cato
    pig
    rogers
    wizard
    norris

[​IMG]

4. Mango

WHAM!

Don't see how your scenario is remotely possible. Explain how that would be accomplished.

Mango

------------------

Donate Blood

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Good scoops Pop's [​IMG]

I get the impression that Rudy isn't happy with Cato. I can see the Rockets trading him and Rogers and possibly Mobes (hope not) for Candyman and Odom.

As for Duncan, I can't see how the wizards could possibly afford him with their payroll so out of whack. It would be GREAT if the Rockets could get him, but it seems highly unlikely.

And last but not least, Eddie Jones. Can you imagine, Eddie and Stevie in the same backcourt? WOW [​IMG]

------------------
    "The bigger they are, the worse they smell."

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm guessing the Clips package for Kandi/Odom would have to be something like Cato/Rogers/Drew for those two. The Clippers would have to get a center to replace Kandi (Cato), and a PF (Rogers) to replace Taylor when he leaves, which is certain. However, don't forget that the key to any Clippers deal is Drew. Popeye and other sources have stated numerous times that they are very high on Drew and would want him as their starting PG. (He did good as a starter here.) But to deal an underachiever and overpayed player in Cato, a below average player in Rogers, and a worthless player for Houston in Drew for those two players would be one of the best moves in franchise history. Go for it Rockets! (Unless the Duncan deal comes along)

------------------

7. popeye

popeye Member

George Michael Band

Sorry, your scenario is all but buried in the far reaches of never-never land, my friend.

Wiz would have to be gone, we would likely lose at least Drew and Mobes also to affect that move. And Hakeem would have to accept a buy out at lowest cap allowance, I think that is half of remaining contract (aelliot will let us know).

We may be able to keep Cato in the trade, but we would still need to make at least one more acquisition.

I agree that Pig Miller wouild be kept. I think Bullard would be kept also in this scenario of yours.

But Tim would only consider the move if a lot of things happened,IMHO. Including: keeping the core(Francis,Shandon,MOBES,Moochie,KT) on the team. We would also need an effective 5 position and I am still not sold on Cato as our future center. Now a movement to bring Kandiman, or Croshere, or Grant to the rockets and we are talking, but how do we do that?

It's going to be fun summer trade season.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'd also guess the Rockets would throw in a 1st round pick or something if that deal could happen but by the time we give it to them it should be a low pick, so it wouldn't hurt much.

------------------

9. popeye

popeye Member

Sorry, I missed some guys.

Mango:
    Lakers would be almost ten if not more games behind without the intense and timely play of Rice. he has helped them enormously thgis year and the Jerry's know it.

B Finn:
    This would have to be a sign and trade. And do not discount or ignore the possibility of David Robinson being included. (Surprise,Surprise) Wizards would trade away some big contracts, but also some very talented guys to start the rebuilding process. This could be mutually beneficial to both teams, depending on who was exchanged. You can always decimate a team if your willing to start over. MJ would commit to dump the whole team to get a start at building a "new" dynasty. The big question is would Duncan go to a team that was basically starting from scratch. I'm betting no.

Eddie Jones is a Rocket luxury that is unnecessary and would be way out of our league price wise, because we need the money to shore up the 3/4/5 positions. We are solid with the 1/2 rotations with Francis, Shandon, Mooch, Mobes. An old adage from med school: "First do no harm."

Cat:
    I was about to add what you have just posted, that at least a couple of picks would likely be involved also. Ironically, Drew is as important an element to this trade as the other participants.

Off to Bed. Ciao a bella.

------------------

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thx Popeye!

I have only one suggestion in all this. Unless a great trade really needs the $4.5m exception to pull it off....eat that exception. Every penny of that exception we don't spend, is more money to spend in 2001. Using it carelessly is like paying Walt $5m and Cato $7m.

save the salary cap room for 2001, unless a great trade is on the table. Alternatively, I'd use it on any player with only 1 year left on their contract...ie, someone you can renounce down to $0 cap impact in 2001.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

To be sure it will be an exciting and interesting offseason.

I for one, hope we trade Drew, because I think he deserves/needs minutes to develop.

I would, needless to say, love to have Duncan.

You know we could fit him in by trading Hakeem and all our number 1 picks for him.

[​IMG]

DaDakota

Buy Starlancer -shameless I know...

------------------

12. popeye

popeye Member

HP Sauce

Actually in the radio interview, Rudy spent some time discussing sending one or two players in trade AND add the $4.5M to land someone who (I think he said)" ... is a (or would be a) difference player." then he said he's "... not in a rush (to use the $4.5M)", or something of that nature.

I hate AM stations!

------------------

13. Mango

popeye,

Any idea of Heat plans if they have another post season fizzle?

Mango

------------------

Donate Blood

14. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

If Moiso comes out, I could see us making a major deal to acquire him.

Trading down, I don't like, but trading up I can see. Plus like you said we might have 3 first round picks this year. Trading down for more picks in pointless in my eyes as we have more than 10+ quality guys.

About the Odom situation, things have cooled off a bit as Odom has realized he has to play out his ENTIRE contract as the Clippers will not trade him. So look in a few years when his contracts about up if he'll leave. His future will all depend upon if Clips resign Mo and Derek Anderson.

------------------
    Check out the best source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

15. heypartner

mango...Popeye's is supposed to be in bed. Look at his last post to you.

What...you trying to get him in trouble?

16. Mango

heypartner,

That was a good hour ago and he still kept posting. The timestamp on my latest was just a few minutes after his post to you.

Since he is older than us, he can take care of himself. He is addicted as the rest of us.

In another thread, you talked about Dreamshake being on the wagon again. I always thought it was the other way around with the wagon meaning that you were abstaining from temptation. I believe the phrase started with the temperance movement decades ago and the wagon carried those who were part of the parade demonstrating/preaching temperance.

Mango

------------------

Donate Blood

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited April 12, 2000).]

17. heypartner

"off the wagon"

yes, you are correct.

what does your signature say, again?

18. Mango

heypartner,

Donate Blood.

You should have been here last night in the 11:45 to midnight timeframe. Then the other part would make sense. In summary, this BBS lost a poster.
    I think wong, Houston Rocks and 3pointer were some of the witnesses.

Good night,
    Mango

------------------

Donate Blood

19. heypartner

hmmmm,

just did a search:

Does this have something to do with a thread called:

"Why the hell is my topic gone"?

A link shows up in the search, but it is gone.

20. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Popeye:

Thanks for the great stuff, as usual. Help me with a few blanks, if you could surmise.

<OL>[*] Rudi said that with Orlando's pick we will have three total picks this year. What is our other pick? I thought we traded away our second rounder, and I haven't seen it in different mock drafts. Does that mean we are getting the Detroit pick for Turkcan, Vancouver's 2nd or something else?

[*] You mentioned 2 big trade scenarios. One for Duncan, the other for Kandi/Odom. Can both those trades happen, or just one, and could you describe how you see that happening?

[*] How would you see a Duncan trade going down, and who would we have to give them? Why would SA ever trade Duncan to a competitor in their own conference, if they could make a deal with Orlando or Miami? Are you thinking there is a way to sign him as a FA?

[*] Why couldn't we use Duncan at the 5?

[*] BTW, what will Duncan command as a free agent?

[*] Who would have to be in the Kandi/Odom deal? Piecing your posts together, it sounds like Drew, Mobely, Rogers and picks? Is that where you were referring to when you said Mobely would have to go? It doesn't sound like Rudy would let Mobely go. Would they take Drew/Williams/Cato/picks?

[*] If we could only pick one deal, I'm sure we'd all prefer Duncan, which would be another amazing steal by the Rockets, but the cap problem could preclude that, especially if Dream stays. So if we're left with Kandi/Odom, what would it take to get Croshere? I like him too.

[*] It also seems like we'd need a backup 2, if we lost Mobely in a deal for Odom/Kandi. Would we pick that up in the draft?

------------------