1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Tomjanovich to resign from Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rikesh316, Feb 1, 2005.

1. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Why? I have no problem with Rudy T. I loved him as a coach and wouldn't mind seeing him back as a coach. His personell decisions are questionable, thats all

2. New Jack

New Jack Member

A lot of people vilified Les Alexander for supposedly firing Rudy, but it's looking like Rudy really did resign for health reasons like was reported.

3. Charvo

Charvo Member

Hopefully, this turns the Lakers upside down pushing them out of the playoff picture.

This also means there is zero chance of Yao heading to a place where he knows noone.

Maybe Rudy T coaches the Rockets after JVG's contract is up.

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

WOW

haven't heard any of those thoughts yet... ;)

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Though he's cheating by only looking at the last 4 years of Rudy's tenure (it should be 1994-2002 as far as the summers he shaped things), he is making a good point. Just like JVG has a twitch that makes him obsess for players in the league for over 10 years, Rudy was stuck on perimeter shooting forwards and centers. Honestly, go back and look over our draft choices during his time as head coach. Not all were bad choices, but a lot of them were absolute busts.

Evan

6. littlefish_220

get away with basketball, and get your health well, that is my pray for you, coach.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I hope everything works out for Rudy T. Get well soon.

8. RocketsAstros

RocketsAstros Contributing Member

Now that we know it's not the cancer, I hope he stays in LA and suceeds. Rudy is a great coach, and I do not want something like this to hurt is legacy.

9. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

damn, people on lakersground.net are idiots....

"There's no way a guy who took Houston straight to the Larry O'Brien trophy from an 8th seed is quitting on this team because he is disatisfied with their level of play.
    As much as I hate watching Tierre Brown drive into the lane and ricochet a layup off the shotclock, Jerry Buss must be near-death.

Rudy would have waited till at least Kobe came back to see if they have a legit playoff shot.

If Rudy is OK health wise, I believe he was actually just fired and they worked something out.

In that case, all you Rudy supporters will know that a TRUE basketball mind like Jerry Buss actually has some sense in him.

Again, Rudy would have waited for Kobe to come back. This smells like he got fired, which I think, he did."

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

hmmmm, something that was really wearing on him the last few days they said. i really hope it's nothing bad or the drinking.

i can't imagine "dissatisfaction with the way the team is playing" is right. they're probably doing better than most people thought and if coaches resigned b/c they didn't like their team's record, 3/4 of the league would resign. hell, rudy would've resigned long ago with us.

kobe doesn't make sense. he knew kobe and his ego were there when he signed up for the job and by all accounts they got along.

dissatisfaction can't be with the way they play b/c they play just like you would expect a rudy t team to play.

i suppose front office things could be true but after 1/2 a season?

so that doesn't settle much.

man, i really didn't expect to get up this morning and hear this news. this just completely sucks. whatever the case, i hope it works out for the best for rudy.

11. franchise?..NOT

I would think Johnny Davis is looking over his shoulder more than Van Gundy.

12. vegaspauli

vegaspauli Member

Rudy T for GM! The future is now! Get the history back!!! We Love & Miss you Rudy!

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Time to return to my main job, FULL TIME FAKER HATER!

Love you rudy! Get well soon!

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Bring him back to H-TOWN!

Back to a full time Laker hater!

Luck the Fakers!

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hope he is ok.....TO REPLACE JVG at the end of this year.

DD

16. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Is it possible that Rudy, who seems to me to be RELATIVELY straightforward, uncomplicated, and blue collar, just didn't quite know what he was getting himself into out there in La-La land? That things out there are insane, complicated in a way that most of us couldn't quite imagine, and that he is smart enough to figure out that he really didn't want any part of it anymore, you know, get out with his sanity and personal integrity intact, before all his soul was sucked out of him, regardless of what people might think? ... or something? Cultures are SO different in different places, and I don't think they get much more different than LA...

Regardless, it's SO nice to go back to my former uncomplicated hatred of all things Lakers!...

(it really has always been so STRANGE for me to imagine him in LA...)

(maybe I've just read too much Bret Easton Ellis, maybe LA's not so bad...?)

#156 burlesk, Feb 1, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Ok, I live in LA, and I am not a faker fan, esp after they drove out Phil and Shaq. I do listen to Laker's game on 570 occassionally on my way home after work. One of the laker's problems is that they shoot way too many three's, it's as if they live and die by the three line. Rudy told media that it wasnt his game plan to jack up so many three's, but there wasnt any change after that. Looks to me that Rudy lost control on that team, not sure if Kobe's invovled, but I suspect so. Anyways, faker fans havent set in reallity that Shaq's gone. They still expect faker to compete at high level. As matter of fact they were extremely unhappy about that fake's only best at the 6th spot so far this year. The other thing they always bash about is that faker hasnt had a 3 game winning streak this year so far. All that translates to hate on Rudy. Each and every game, win or lose, fake fan would call in complaining about Rudy's too soft on players, Rudy this, Rudy that, etc. To me, I think Rudy did pretty good job keeping the faker in the playoff contention. They have a crappy team, and now Kobe went down, really I dont think it is much better than the clippers two year ago(Odom was on that clipper, and dont think Atkins and Butler is anywhere near corey, richardson, brand). So luck the fakers.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Really? PJ did it. :rolleyes:

20. Val

Val Member

Check out the Yahoo front page.

It says the Tomjanovich may resign. Note the word MAY.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba

Rudy Tomjanovich's coaching career with the Lakers could soon be coming to an end. Some reports indicate Tomjanovich will resign Tuesday night, but a team spokesman said no announcement would be made Tuesday.